Hello and first post - from Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire

AYA Annihilator

Hi all

This is my first post in Pigeon watch, new member as off today. I've dropped in to read threads many times before so I thought I would make an account now!

I'm also just after some quick advice, if anyone is willing to share. I have a new permission which has been hammered by a grey swarm of pigeons recently (kale or broccoli, something like that) and I've set up a hide this evening to save time tomorrow. I have a few questions, if I may. Firstly, how far would you recommend having the closest decoy to the hide? I usually do about 30 yrds but I find that this can lead to some birds trying to land a bit out of the range I'm comfortable shooting in. However, I'm aware of the dangers of having the deeks too close.

Also, I have no whirley, which I know is a big help, only 15 or so half shells and a couple of previously shot birds - does anyone know of a way of making a homemade cradle of sorts, or just something to give either movement or height to the pattern - I don't want them feeding elsewhere on the field!

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

- my interests are pigeons, pinkfoot decoying and looking for mr fox, along with sea fishing, followed by trout on the fly.

Edited by AYA Annihilator

try placing decoys in a u or v shape with the front of the pattern about 25 paces from the hide,judge the distance by looking at the landing zone as oppose to the decoys,as for dead birds a quick solution would be to prop them up with twigs under their necks.and on the subject of necks dont be annoyed if the bag aint a big one because in winter the woodies can be a pain in the neck.for the future it will be best to invest in some equipment (whirly etc) to increase your chances on future outings. good luck.

Hi mate I'm down in Fife you'll get plenty of good advice on here, I've not long got a whirly does seem to help, I usually set the start of my decoys around 25 yards in a u shape and have 40 yards across the widest of the landing area I also use 2 bouncers upwind of the pattern with real birds on them, if I feel the birds are not committing Il change things about but some days nothing seems to work....lol,

You say you like sea fishing what do you usually fish for? It's mostly winter cod I go after up the east coast.

Cheers Alec.

try placing decoys in a u or v shape with the front of the pattern about 25 paces from the hide,judge the distance by looking at the landing zone as oppose to the decoys,as for dead birds a quick solution would be to prop them up with twigs under their necks.and on the subject of necks dont be annoyed if the bag aint a big one because in winter the woodies can be a pain in the neck.for the future it will be best to invest in some equipment (whirly etc) to increase your chances on future outings. good luck.

Hi thanks for the advice - I plan on getting some proper equipment ie a whirley for the summer, I just need to save some £££ :)

Hi mate I'm down in Fife you'll get plenty of good advice on here, I've not long got a whirly does seem to help, I usually set the start of my decoys around 25 yards in a u shape and have 40 yards across the widest of the landing area I also use 2 bouncers upwind of the pattern with real birds on them, if I feel the birds are not committing Il change things about but some days nothing seems to work....lol,

You say you like sea fishing what do you usually fish for? It's mostly winter cod I go after up the east coast.

Cheers Alec.

Thanks for the help I might be changing them around quite a bit haha. In terms of sea fishing when I can I go to the west coast, (spinning for sea trout at dusk is probably my favourite!) but targeting conger from the piers etc (I'm not very successful though). I've been fishing off the rocks at Fife Ness (near Crail) a few times, a fair few wrasse if you can bear the snags!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

hi aya

firstly deek range, this depends on wind direction, shot, choke etc etc etc. Also depends wether you want to kill pigeons or have some sporty shooting

me personally with the wind in my back ( pigeons coming straight at the hide ) will start with a u shaped pattern with ( with 15 deeks put 2 rows of four about 15 to 20 yards in front of you with the remaining seven completing the u shape. if the wind is stronger move the deeks in a little. let the pigeons come as closee as possible then stand up the birds will flare and with a good wind will be moving very quickly, his has the effect of the birds now being at the right distance 25 to 35 yards and will force you to move the gun through to make the shot. with the wind in your back the main part of the pattern can be a little further out 30 to 40 yards with the arms of the u shape starting about 10 yards from the hide. basically set your deeks up with the kill zone about 35 yards from the hide. whirleys and gadgets work in certain cases but are definatley not a substitute for field craft. the single most important thing is recon find the flight lines which will be different for any given day, weather being the key. floaters work well if your like me youll make them up in the field coulple of pieces of hazel one pushed through the vent up into the birds head and a second to brace the wings apart, cheap quick and more importantly nothing to carry willow will work as well at a push.

fishing i do my fishing on the welsh coast around aberdovey great for bass. but eu legislation, is a pain right now. But thats another topic

Good luck

above all its not the number pigeons you kill it the fun you have trying.

hope this helps

• 1 month later...