Your top ways hold your birds.

We are having our shoot agm soon and I want to try and convince some of the older guns to change things about a bit for the coming season. This last season our birds wondered everywhere expect where we wanted them and had the shoots worst return in the 9 years it's been running.

I am trying to convince them that we need to do some major clearing in our wood to open it up as there are bits even the dogs can't get in. Also I would like to feed the wood which they have never done and put out a lot more feeders where we want the birds.

We have lost a couple of the less active guns and replaced them with some keen young blood but unfortunately it's some of the others who make the decisions.

I would like to go to the meeting Pre-armed with as much info as posible.

Hang three or four dead rabbits two feet off the ground inside your pens. Pheasants are addicted to maggots and wont wander when the fruit starts falling.

Hang three or four dead rabbits two feet off the ground inside your pens. Pheasants are addicted to maggots and wont wander when the fruit starts falling.

Would this (opentop pen) not attract the wrong type of visitors to the pen?

HAND FEEDING on a daily basis. This method cannot be beaten.

The big shoots use a quad bike and a spinner.

Feed them where you want them.

Scatter the feed so that they have to scratch around to find it.

Doesn't need much feed but it must be done every day - Twice a day if you can.

Feed drums are OK but will never produce the results that hand feeding will.

Basically birds move to find food water and a safe place to roost and a sunny warm spot

So if you're wood is cold they'll move

As said food where you want them and better food than they can find wandering

So plenty of feeders where you want birds not where it's easy to fill them

Water

Safe warm cover to flush them from

And

Important

Somewhere to flush them to

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Water is just as, if not more important than food, plenty of drinking stations where you want the birds, one feeder plus one drinker.

they do love the sun and as has been said, open the wood up to let the sun in where you want the birds plus all the previous comments including dogging in and you should have some success.

you need workers in a shoot and if the oldies wont listen to the workers then ignore them and get on and do the work, I can only imagine how much extra growth there is on briar etc has taken place in 9 years.

Every club or shoot will have a nucleus of 4 to 5 workers who are willing to have a go, and the others who want things their way and it`s everyone else`s fault if things go wrong,

good luck mate, keep us informed.

Well a gamekeeper friend has had two successive record seasons, apart from a large acreage of game crops what he changed was only feeding at night and spending all daylight hours dogging in. Even on a shoot day a trusted beater or two would be tasked with dogging the stubbles and hedgerows back home. Lots of work but it has paid off.

We are having our shoot agm soon and I want to try and convince some of the older guns to change things about a bit for the coming season. This last season our birds wondered everywhere expect where we wanted them and had the shoots worst return in the 9 years it's been running.

I am trying to convince them that we need to do some major clearing in our wood to open it up as there are bits even the dogs can't get in. Also I would like to feed the wood which they have never done and put out a lot more feeders where we want the birds.

We have lost a couple of the less active guns and replaced them with some keen young blood but unfortunately it's some of the others who make the decisions.

I would like to go to the meeting Pre-armed with as much info as posible.

For a minute there I thought you were in our sydicate, I noticed you are in Cornwall

Only one way to run a shoot. Have a Shoot captain. Elected or appointed makes no difference.

Let him/her run it. Judge by the results. If it's going right then keep him/her. If it's not then get another one.

Nothing runs by committee. This is even worse if the work is on a voluntary basis.

Got to have someone in charge who will take the can when it all goes wrong.

(And the praise when you have a good season).

• 1 month later...

Find where your birds went and preferred to be and see why. Butbales of straw with wheat thrown on for birds to scratch around in will keep them amused.

Trouble is when it's sunny and warm during the season it's will wandering to cropsto eat the bugs and flies rather than th wheat. A warm safe wood to roost in not hit by high biting winds.

I've been on shoots where part of the woods is inaccessible and no girding where the birds go come shoot day racket. Thin them out to allow at least dog access. Mixed cover crops to give different feeds and cover throughout the season.

Most syndicate farm shoots were poor last year due to very warm weather and wandering. Only fully keepered shootscan dog in and hand feed daily.

This is my observation from being allowed on two game shooting grounds.They complain about the lack of birds and put down poults each year. They have copious feeders around the woods but when I'm pigeon shooting we see lots of birds in the hedgerows and in the taller crops they never seem to dog in and if we are on the rape on shoot days the birds are confidently walking round the field edges. If we walked the edges and let the dog flush we would shoot more than the guns.

May I add a comment or two?

Open up your woods for light as said Encourage members to dog in on a rota basis so everyone knows where to go. Feed rolled wheat, crushed maize fed ad lib on straw bales or loose straw in your pens and rides. Add aniseed to your hoppers which should plentiful and be where you want the birds.

If possible pollard the younger trees in your pen - they will add cover and regrow vigorously.

Cut good rides for the beaters as there is nothing worse than a beater and his dog(s) not coming back due to the assault course!

Oh, and if possible, always carry a gun when on your ground(s) as there is always the chance of meeting Reynard!

We had just over a 58% return this year (54% last year) so it seems to work.

Rent the shooting next to a large commercial shoot. Seems to work for a lot of folk.

But how your feeling on this depend on how the boundary shoot behaves. Last year my returns were 88%, I fully admit that we benefit from birds from the neighbouring shoot. However, we only shoot 4 days and release 1000 pheasants and this year 250 partridge which I believe shows that we are not setting out to "steal" their birds. We have an old boy that dogs in nearly constantly from August to Nov and plenty of straw and spinner feeding. The boundary drive is fed no differently to any other on the shoot