BASC Council Elections.

Kalahari

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I was never impressed at the Chelsea Bun Club articles inside the back cover of the BASC mag'. Rightly or wrongly they always struck me as elitist and they always made me cringe. I didn't feel it was the way to go.   I don't know too many female game shooters but I can imagine their opinions of the Chelsea Bun Club. 

I can't comment on the articles because I only joined BASC at the recent S&CBC  conference so haven't had many magazines. BASC have been at S&CBC events for years and they got my money because of the brilliant educational service they have given us over the years as well as their political representation. 

I really don't see how an organisation dedicated to removing the barriers to women's shooting is elitist. You don't have to have anything to start shooting, it's all provided. There is massive support internally for getting your licence and a gun, and there are introduction days like to OT, and even beginner game days (100 bird). We make huge efforts to be friendly and welcoming, and lots of us give up time to host or help at things like National Ladies Shooting Day. 

Anyway, S&CBC is now just the events. The subscription now is to The Ladies Shooting Club. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I was never impressed at the Chelsea Bun Club articles inside the back cover of the BASC mag'. Rightly or wrongly they always struck me as elitist and they always made me cringe. I didn't feel it was the way to go.   I don't know too many female game shooters but I can imagine their opinions of the Chelsea Bun Club. 

I daresay there is an element of elitism amongst some people in the club, but I have hosted a SCBC event and it was a nice group of women that in the vast majority were good fun and enjoyable company.  For most it was their first experience of shooting and being part of the wider group of novices and with a distinct lack of egos made the whole thing more enjoyable for them.  The only people in the group of 30 or so that were a bit elitist were two women who were regular game shots (albeit very poor ones) and who wanted to show off a bit (they didn't).

The bonus was that many brought along their home made cakes and buns for the tea and coffee afterwards too.

The S&CBC is fundamentally a good thing. I have, in the past, heard at least one crusty old shotgun coach mutter about it taking away "their" business, as if they have some  sort of entitlement, but in reality anything that gets more folk - especially from non-shooting backgrounds - into shooting, or at least an appreciation of shooting, is good for us all. And if the outfit makes a profit, so what? That makes it self-sustaining.

Edited by stagboy
typo

54 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

This thread is really disturbing. 

we are in the 21st century.

what  bad representation of our sport. what have we become.

What posts are you finding really disturbing that you think we are representing our sport badly?

Guest cookoff013
21 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Apparently at least one of these ill informed rants was hidden behind a fake profile. Vote for who you like but such vitriol is unnecessary and such lack of understanding and information is worrying. 

Basc1.jpg
Basc2.jpg
Basc3.jpg
Basc4.jpg
Basc5.jpg
Basc6.jpg

this post really.

An explanation. I'm not by any means against female shooters or female anything else, and I'm 100% in favour of bringing new blood into shooting, and have in the past been an avid supporter of young shots days when I would trail half a dozen kids ( my own son and daughter included ) to events in the Northern Region. 

I just didn't like the format of the CBC, as to me, as I said, it smacked of that exclusive upper class elitism which I find bars many a newcomer. If I've got it wrong, then that's my mistake, but that's how it looked and read to me. I know for a fact that it would have put off my daughter. 

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

An explanation. I'm not by any means against female shooters or female anything else, and I'm 100% in favour of bringing new blood into shooting, and have in the past been an avid supporter of young shots days when I would trail half a dozen kids ( my own son and daughter included ) to events in the Northern Region. 

I just didn't like the format of the CBC, as to me, as I said, it smacked of that exclusive upper class elitism which I find bars many a newcomer. If I've got it wrong, then that's my mistake, but that's how it looked and read to me. I know for a fact that it would have put off my daughter. 

I think there is a core element where there is a lot of elitism and snobbery and it isn't just restricted to that group.  My experience of the S&CBC event I hosted was it was first timers having a go, but I have also been involved with some other ladies groups where there is a core of regulars that are so far up themselves they are damn nearly turned inside out.

The stock 'uniform' of Dubarry style boots, tight jeans or moleskins, furry bobble hat and tweed waistcoat is obligatory in order to fit in.

Edited by grrclark

7 minutes ago, grrclark said:

The stock 'uniform' of Dubarry style boots, tight jeans or moleskins, furry bobble hat and tweed waistcoat is obligatory in order to fit in.

Fit in? You mean "Wear what women wear in the countryside"?  I can't personally get knee high boots to fit but the rest of it is just what women wear to places like clay grounds.  I mean really, what else are women supposed to be wearing? If you don't shoot for competition you probably don't have a skeet vest. Women in bobble hats and jeans and boots, who'd have thunk it!

31 minutes ago, Scully said:

Perception isn't controllable by intent, so it is what it is. The market chooses where your brand is positioned  not you. The S&CBC is events only now, the rest of it is going through The Ladies Shooting Club, partially because the S&CBC brand was so successful that it was obscuring at least part of the message of "Let's go shooting and learn" . 

I don't do snobbery. Designer country clothing doesn't do me.  People always like to say a group of women is THIS or THAT, but usually they are people doing the best they can with what they have and there's usually more to them than what they are wearing. In which case, if you read this far you could do worse than vote for Claire Sadler in the BASC elections. Scout leader, lawyer, country sports advocate, she's a good egg with a lot to contribute. 

29 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Fit in? You mean "Wear what women wear in the countryside"?  I can't personally get knee high boots to fit but the rest of it is just what women wear to places like clay grounds.  I mean really, what else are women supposed to be wearing? If you don't shoot for competition you probably don't have a skeet vest. Women in bobble hats and jeans and boots, who'd have thunk it!

Perception isn't controllable by intent, so it is what it is. The market chooses where your brand is positioned  not you. The S&CBC is events only now, the rest of it is going through The Ladies Shooting Club, partially because the S&CBC brand was so successful that it was obscuring at least part of the message of "Let's go shooting and learn" . 

I don't do snobbery. Designer country clothing doesn't do me.  People always like to say a group of women is THIS or THAT, but usually they are people doing the best they can with what they have and there's usually more to them than what they are wearing. In which case, if you read this far you could do worse than vote for Claire Sadler in the BASC elections. Scout leader, lawyer, country sports advocate, she's a good egg with a lot to contribute. 

The point I'm trying to make is that there can be, and is, a 'dress code' regarding shooting. This isn't perceived on my part, it actually exists. It's ok to say 'what are women supposed to wear?', but many women ( and men ) feel they are excluded or will be looked down upon, or made to feel like outsiders unless they turn up in expensive Dubarry boots or expensive wellies, expensive Schoeffel waistcoat , or the accepted 'dress code' in part at least.  It's not just the CBC; this is widespread throughout shooting. This isn't perceived, again, it actually exists. We've already covered khaki in a previous thread, when a former PW member told us he could tell what type of person a person was by the way they dressed, the result of which I was very nearly banned from this forum, and while I'm sure Pimms and cocktails are very nice it isn't the way in my opinion, to open doors, nor represent womens shooting at grass roots levels. Maybe I'm just common.

I am however, of an age where I know that much of this is first impressions and that once people get talking none of it usually matters, but first impressions are important, especially to the younger generation. 

I'm sure Claire Sadler is 'a good egg', but I'm no longer a BASC member. 

9 hours ago, ehb102 said:

No Liz, it is almost like a uniform with some groups and in some cases it has become cliquey and elitist.  There is a pressure on others to wear the same style to fit in and to match those that they are with and I personally don't think that is helpful.

If ladies normally wear Dubarry style boots, tweed vests and a furry bobble hat then of course they should continue to wear that when they shoot, however I have to say I rarely see any other shooting ladies wear that same identikit attire unless they are part of a particular group.

I said earlier that the S&CBC group that I hosted, and I have hosted a lot of groups, were almost all first timers and they wore an assorted array of casual clothing, much like you would see on any high street in any town.  Many of those women were country types as well.

There was no compulsion for them to try and look the part to fit in, they just had a whole lot of fun and that to me is the essence of what it should be about.

I believe that what Scully has alluded to is that there is an image associated with some groups and as much as we may disagree with that image association for many it is a barrier

Well I sat down and had a read of the applicants profiles and reasons why they wished to represent us the membership , then John McEnroe shouted out ' You cannot be serious'.

We have a Chair who is a QC but we still co-opt a lady solicitor with relatively little experience ?

We have a millionaire who gads about Big Game shooting and flyfishing the World, will he have time to serve us lowly hedge brushers?

I really do think it is time that BASC got their act together and represented the shooting & wildfowling community better than they currently do .

They will not be able to do that if they are top heavy with Executives, Flower collectors, and freeloaders.

• 2 weeks later...

David ,

You don't need a sneaky bump , what you need is for people to read the candidates profiles , sort the wheat from the chaff , the countrymen from the whinebar loungers and scroungers and vote for you and others that will serve us well .

Some seeking election or re-election have only ever served themselves it is sad to say . Which may be why BASC lurches from one chaotic situation to the next one .

Salopian is right in that it we probably need a thread with all links to all the candidates profiles.  I'll put one up later and pin it.  

EDIT:  A topic containing links to the candidate manifestos is now pinned in this section.