BASC Council Elections.

Kalahari

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks David, unfortunately I cannot vote for you as I do not live in Wales.

I wish you all the luck that is possible and hopefully we will be able to work together for the good of shooting for many years to come.

If our PW friends support us it would be a great help.

Terry

Some posts relating to the BASC press release on issues in the organisation have been removed.

There are threads already running on that topic in this subforum - please dont derail this thread, if you have something to say on that matter do it on the relevant thread.

• 2 weeks later...

The BASC has seats for each region and National seats. Terry is standing for a National seat so anybody can vote. It isn't an English seat as such. It depends on which seats become vacant. There is a vacant Scottish seat but only one person is standing so there is no need for an election in Scotland. Hope this helps.

David.

Edited by Kalahari

Hi David

I hope you are well.

I am working hard trying to get as many Welsh BASC members to vote for you, and I know you have returned the compliment.

The PW gang have shown fantastic support for us both, thank you everyone keep up the good work..

Terry

Well in the light of the news about the last Chief Executive and the fact that (in my opinion) the one one before that was not a friend of either shooting sports, conservation or members of the BASC I would like to say that if I am elected I would push for the council to have a rather more robust system of selection put in place before the next appointment.

David.

Well in the light of the news about the last Chief Executive and the fact that (in my opinion) the one one before that was not a friend of either shooting sports, conservation or members of the BASC I would like to say that if I am elected I would push for the council to have a rather more robust system of selection put in place before the next appointment.

David.

That's very commendable of you sir, the only problem is you will have to get that past the old guard and believe me they are the bloody old guard.

I'll tell you something David it's very refreshing to have the like of yourself and Terry, forwards thinking people with members at the forefront of your thoughts that what the members have been waiting for and wish you both the very best when you're elected.

I have spoken to many members of BASC who haven't or cannot be bothered to fill in the ballot form.

Sadly this is why many organisations are driven onto the rocks and fail.

Many members stand for election just to massage their ego and are only thinking of themselves , not the membership .This has been the case for a good few years in my opinion of those standing for BASC Council . When you consider it was a Wildfowling community ( I opposed the name change) look how many council members are actually Wildfowlers or Gameshooters or Pigeon shots then look at how many are local government officers , flower arrangers or actually contribute to the well being of our sport.

Then remember that Council are ultimately responsible for the employment of Staff and we get to the core of our recent issues.

We have only one suitable candidate for the Welsh seat. Some of you may know who that is .

Others need to do their research and vote before it is too late.

I have spoken to many members of BASC who haven't or cannot be bothered to fill in the ballot form.

Sadly this is why many organisations are driven onto the rocks and fail.

Many members stand for election just to massage their ego and are only thinking of themselves , not the membership .This has been the case for a good few years in my opinion of those standing for BASC Council . When you consider it was a Wildfowling community ( I opposed the name change) look how many council members are actually Wildfowlers or Gameshooters or Pigeon shots then look at how many are local government officers , flower arrangers or actually contribute to the well being of our sport.

Then remember that Council are ultimately responsible for the employment of Staff and we get to the core of our recent issues.

We have only one suitable candidate for the Welsh seat. Some of you may know who that is .

Others need to do their research and vote before it is too late.

I could not agree more.

I keep thinking to myself is an organisation run the way BASC is run fit for purpose. The answer that keeps coming back to me is no it is not. I think probably John Anderton's pyramid structure of the organisations would be better. A separate organisation for each area of shooting individually accountable to its members. Using one organization / company which would be controlled through a board of directors from the other organisations who are shareholders. Giving the one organisation all this power and responsibility can only lead them building their own muck pile to Crow from. Just some thoughts!

What amazes me is looking at the pen pictures of some candidates not just this year but in previous years is x has been shooting for 20 plus years then states they have been a member of BASC for two years or so.where have they been till now.

For me, I have been a member of other associations.

Joining an Association is a bit like opening a Bank account, I opened a Bank account where my parents banked, I joined an association where my mates were members, the good thing is that I have insured all my shooting life, something I am discovering on a regular basis a good number of shooting people are not, but that is another issue.

I decided to take the sport more seriously in retirement and undertake the courses available of which BASC had many that suited me.

I have not looked back since and have realised what I have missed out on over the years,when work was my hobby and shooting was something I did when I could, in Retirement it is the other way round.

I am now in a position with my time that I can hopefully put something back into the Sport and Pastime that I really enjoy.

Edited by bakerboy

Much of what Terry has said applies to me. I don't think over 25 years with the BASC means I am a Johny come lately. And I do feel that I now have the time to put something back. Of course, unlike the very young, I don't know everything. :)

David