Decoys - These look ok.

Penelope

I have been thinking about these and would be interested on what you think of them when they arrive. Not sure if the foam filling would add to the weight and a friend tells me that some decathlon duck decoys are on the small size. I have 4 decathlon greylag floaters that are little bigger than a brent goose.

I am a sucker for new decoys. Realy I have enough , but always like to try something new. I have three sets all for different situations rigged in a different way for each. For my coastal shooting I have 25 wigeon, teal , pintail and a few mallard decoys that are used with a mother lines. Well I say 25 its rare that I use them all on the same day as I find a dozen will usually do the job. But there times when I shoot with a friend on a huge creek 100 yards across that they are all used. I have a second group of a dozen decoys mallard and wigeon that are individualy weighted on short strings that i use for shooting inland on flashes . Most of these are over sized as big decoys show up better at evening flight when the light is poor. I have a set of 45 mainly mallard with a few wigeon decoys plus a couple of shoveller that some one gave me and a couple of tufted that I use on a large Broad along with 8 canada and greylag goose decoys all individualy weighted on long lines. i will be shooting from a boat so weight is not a problem and take as many as i can fit in the boat. The decoys are a mixture of sport Plast, GHG , Flambue and a few of the cheap poundland decoys, I did have 20 mallard type though they do not last and only a couple are now in service. Coupled with 20 pink foot and greylag shell decoys they would make a grand spread is used to gather to rival many spreads the yanks use. A year or so ago on a quiet morning a mate and I totalled up how much it would how much it would cost to replace them at today's prices and it came to around £800 , plus the cost of weights , mother lines and 5 Jack Pyke decoy bags.

Canna whack them I bought half a dozen mallard decoys for under 20 quid including postage and now into second season and still looking good. They tend to get used at least 4 days a week on splashes or on the shore my top tip is try get some old pillow cases or something similar gives them a bit of protection when rattling about in a rucksack

Yeah, I tend to decoy better than the wildfowl! :lol::lol:

I am a sucker for new decoys. Realy I have enough , but always like to try something new. I have three sets all for different situations rigged in a different way for each. For my coastal shooting I have 25 wigeon, teal , pintail and a few mallard decoys that are used with a mother lines. Well I say 25 its rare that I use them all on the same day as I find a dozen will usually do the job. But there times when I shoot with a friend on a huge creek 100 yards across that they are all used. I have a second group of a dozen decoys mallard and wigeon that are individualy weighted on short strings that i use for shooting inland on flashes . Most of these are over sized as big decoys show up better at evening flight when the light is poor. I have a set of 45 mainly mallard with a few wigeon decoys plus a couple of shoveller that some one gave me and a couple of tufted that I use on a large Broad along with 8 canada and greylag goose decoys all individualy weighted on long lines. i will be shooting from a boat so weight is not a problem and take as many as i can fit in the boat. The decoys are a mixture of sport Plast, GHG , Flambue and a few of the cheap poundland decoys, I did have 20 mallard type though they do not last and only a couple are now in service. Coupled with 20 pink foot and greylag shell decoys they would make a grand spread is used to gather to rival many spreads the yanks use. A year or so ago on a quiet morning a mate and I totalled up how much it would how much it would cost to replace them at today's prices and it came to around £800 , plus the cost of weights , mother lines and 5 Jack Pyke decoy bags.

I have a dozen mallard and about 20 teals from decathlon.

I use mine only for inland flights, mostly evenings, and they do attract ducks (the proof is in the freezer :lol: ), if you can call you can get mallard swimming towards them and quite happily enjoing a meal with them in the darkness. Teals just dive in with them.

I also had widgeons taking a serious interset on them and the last day of the season i had a widgeon bonanza at my pond (which is quite odd since i never shot more than 4-5 per year) where shot widgeon would fly back when i jerked the rig ...

If i had more space to stock decoys I would buy more of them...but the missus... :rolleyes:

I would also be keen to try the geese silhouette since i had the pigeon one and they worked alright; but the've been out of stock for a few years now :sad1:

R. I am very impressed with them. Robustly made, appear to have good paint, good colour and not heavy at all, comparable in weight to the Avery wigeon decoys and the are slightly over life size.

IMO, probably the best wigeon decoy available in the UK, or equally as good in terms of build, etc as the Avery, although I think the colours are more realistic. Yes, they are form filled.

Decathalon did do a hen wigeon on the same body, but they are not on the website at present.

Looking good Penelope , but I was wondering as they are filled with something to make them unsinkable ( foam ?) how heavy are they and are they lifesized ?