First few outings

aga man

My new Labrador Bob began his training at around 8 months old and so far has been pretty quick to learn what is expected of him. I am only a novice when it comes to training a dog but training him along side faithful trusty old lab Tom who is rock steady seems to be working.

Now 17 months old i thought it would be good to bring Bob out into the woods for the February roost shoots.

The roosting has been very steady for us this year, a combination on light winds lack of guns and lack of pigeons on various parts of the estate has provided modest bags but ideal to help train the young dog.

I am so far very pleased indeed with Bob, although he has a very long way to go he has shown good steadiness and is keen to please. The roosting has been great for him with the sound of other guns around and seeing pigeons fall close by without running in.

I have tried to take a few pictures but my phone is pretty rubbish.

post-57269-0-27186400-1487967781_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-03284700-1487967815_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-63417500-1487968299_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

You have taken things very steady with Bob and you should be rewarded with a steady dog. I do hate reading posts from people who have taken out their dogs at less than a year old and they can't understand why their dogs are not steady.

In his second year Jasper watched me pick birds all round the hide. He has never run in. When I ask him to go he really does go at break neck speed.