Fauxdegla visit

buze

Had the opportunity to go to Fauxdegla last friday, in the welsh hills. Quite a neat ground! Facilities are excellent - clubhouse is very cosy, had a fantastic breakfast (by a real chef!). Went to do the Sporting ridge, and I thought the targets were all very interesting an challenging; /most/ of them are shot up the hill, and theres a large selection of rather devious little birds. Really enjoyed it. There are also 2 pretty nice Compak layouts, again with interesting birds.

Staff I met was very nice too, ground guy was pretty awesome, appeared in 2 minutes on a phone call to fix a trap that ran out of battery and was apologising all the way until we told him we actually *expected* stuff to break down and it was fine!

Also had a round of skeet -- again, really solid, beautifully built houses and setup. /mostly/ sheltered from the wind too, which is quite nice considering the placement (the Sporting ridge is NOT sheltered and you'd better be ready for the nice Snowdonia 'breeze' down your neck ;-))

Trying to find a 'cons' against all these 'pros', I'd say I was a bit surprised to see the in-house Instructor wearing what looks like sweatpants. I'm not expecting E.J Churchill everywhere, but sweatpants? :-) -- anyway, I didn't talk to the guy, for all I know he's a multi-medalist of some sort, whoops :-)

Another small 'con' is the fact you need to pre-charge your card. Given we had no clue when we arrived how many clays we'd shoot, it's really a tough choice! Ultimately we still managed to shoot 400 between the two of us. But I still prefer the 'pay as you go' sort of method...

As far as pricing goes, it was very cheap; £20/100. Ok, it took us 2h to drive there and so on (also there is a LOT of traffic around Wrexham) but considering the quality of the facilities, it's really excellent.

Is this the ground that uses tokens of 25clays per token plus extra fee for no birds?

Hmm not sure what you mean, for sporting I 'loaded' the card with 400 clays; not sure what is the unit. For the round of skeet, I 'added' some to the card so it reached ~60, 'transfered' them to the machine and shot that, I paid £7.50 to top it up, so yes perhaps there is that system of token?

I wasn't asked about no birds. Given the price of £20/100, it'd would be a bit cheeky to get a further price cut. We did have a few, but nothing out of the ordinary...

will be visiting here later in the year and was wondering about instruction , has anyone any recommendations/ experience of the instructors, (im not bothered about his trousers though :) )

I believe there are a few instructors/coaches that work from the ground as well as others.

"Beretta" on here coaches there on a regular basis, drop him a pm.

will be visiting here later in the year and was wondering about instruction , has anyone any recommendations/ experience of the instructors, (im not bothered about his trousers though :) )

For Faux based coaching this is your man

Brian Clegg WWW.clayshootingcoach.co.uk

Im sure others will back me on this

This is same bloke as post above, he has helped Me a lot,

Edited by Rupert

Fauxdegla is a great ground although it has it's own mini climate. They operate two token methods of paying for your clays, the standard one is on the white card where you top up and shoot all what you have topped up with on the day and the gold card, which used to cost a fiver. with this card you can top it up with as many clays as you want, but don't have to shoot all on the day, take the card home with you ready for the next trip.

I find the gold card the best as if the weather turns, you can think enough is enough, also if you top up with 500 clays they give you an extra 50 clays. One of the other good advantages of the place it has a good range of disciplines available for one to shoot.

Do you mind me asking Buze, how did you find the throw of the clays on the Skeet layout (if they were orange clays you was on D layout), slow,fast etc

I shoot there all the time and have no issue but some people are saying there are issues with them - be good to have another input on this

Do you mind me asking Buze, how did you find the throw of the clays on the Skeet layout (if they were orange clays you was on D layout), slow,fast etc

I shoot there all the time and have no issue but some people are saying there are issues with them - be good to have another input on this

Funny you ask that; I though the High house was shooting a bit low, the low house was shooting a bit high, and the low house was a bit /slow/ -- but it might be subjective obviously, also, any wind will sometime do that on any given day I suppose. I'm not super sure which layout I was on, or of the colors of the clays! I'm pretty sure it's the closest from the clubhouse.