FAC airrifle

storsey

Good evening guys .....

Im looking to add a fac airrifle to the cabinet....i have a .22 lr and .243 as well as too many shotguns but would like to get one as i think id have a use for it every now and then and would be very en enjoyable to use .

i have a scope already to stick on it and want to spend around 300 - 400

.22 calibre and think id need about 30ft lb as most of the rabbits are between 30 to 50 yards

Any suggestions or thoughts would be as usual greatly appreciated

ta

I would say look for an air arms 410 extra FAC as you should be able to land one with a bit of searching about within budget. The issue can be everyone says FAC air drops its value fast but you don't see loads of them second hand for sale either and also a lot of them originally tend to be high end like Daystates or Rapids so even though they drop value comparatively to sub 12 ft/lb versions they still tend to end up at £500+.

Personally I would look for a PCP rather than a springer if possible as with springers you lose out on a lot of the bonuses for going FAC in air such as multishot and zero recoil.

I would disagree regarding 25, stick with 22, you will loose some benefits going heavier. Holdover being the main issue with low powered pellets,bullets, getting them fast and flat are good, go heavier you loosing out.

You will push 16.25 AA field at 975 without problems and take shots out to 75yds + on rabbits.

Got to agree with Dougy on this .22 FAC gives you a greater pellet variety and they are much more common if your .25 is pellet fussy you can be doomed.

To be honest you will pay serious money for .25 as there arnt a lot of them about I only got one as I wanted something different and to get a similar trajectory to .22 I'm throwing pellets at 49 ft/lb to get them to 900 fps.

Although no squirrel hit with it has ever walked away :good:

You can get to around 975 with most pellets over 14.5 grn. I've had 22 pellets up to 1200 and stable. But shot count was carp and I could no longer get the pellets. Wad cutters are pants, not that you would use them anyway. Same goes for pointed, don't touch skirted nylon either.

As mentioned the 22 will give you loads more options. Flatter trajectories and the rifle choice is basically any PCP.

If Your going to be shooting at the range you say 30-50 yards, Personally I would just use a pcp sub 12 more than capable for that range.

What he said.

I was thinking the very same thing, .177 air arms 410 would be ideal

Brilliant rifle.

30 - 50 yrds is perfect for AA sub 12.The fac air is going to to do about the same as your 22lr only quieter and cheaper,if i were you i would get the fac air as it will do everything needed air rifle wise and sell the 22lr then buy a .17hmr,you would have it all covered.

Sub 12 can easily do 30 -50 in good conditions but FAC air will give you more options in poor weather. I have sub 12 for when its nice and calm and daylight. For the rest a 40lb .22 as it's better in wind and when the range is not clear (NV).

I have a few places where .22lr is not the right choice due to back drop rather than backstop.

Sold the .22lr and bought hmr.

i don't get why people rubbish fac air.

I use mine all the time it's fantastic.

It puts a serious smack on things and has a useable trajectory.

Actually better than legal limit .177 in my guns case but it slings a 21 grain pellet.

Why make do with barely adequate when he's already got a ticket?

50 yards with a .177 is not ideal in my opinion but for a 40ftlb airgun it's a bread and butter shot.

950fps is about ideal,

Actually better than legal limit .177 in my guns case but it slings a 21 grain pellet.

50 yards with a .177 is not ideal in my opinion but for a 40ftlb airgun it's a bread and butter shot.

950fps is about ideal,

Cant disagree with this I have found FAC really useful if you can get it cleared on the land. Why limit yourself if you can actually ave something with a bit more poke. It does fill a nice gap between normal air and .22RF and in certain conditions can be used for shots up into trees which I wouldnt do with a .22RF.

950fps is about ideal,

It happens a lot buddy. There are a lot who rubbish it, they say about CB`s and all sorts of things for .22lr but having tried that they just don`t give the accuracy and then there messing about with scope zeroing etc.

With a .22 pellet at 30ftlb your only a third of the power of a .22lr which can will open up uphill shots some times which I simply wouldnt ever do with a .22lr. The FAC air is great on squirrels and crows I find !

I love my sub 12ftlb air rifle for HFT, ratting and still weather lamping........ But as soon as there's some breeze limiting your sub 12ftlb then this is where the FAC Air comes in ! 75 yard head shots on bunny`s give an excellent impact and also on chest shot crows. It depends where you shoot too I guess. My FAC Air will be doing more this year as its been left the last 18 months !

good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gifgood.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

Bigger shot counts above about 35 will in general cost you at least your upper budget, so if you can live with 35 or less then guns such as Air arms 410/510 or Fx2000 (including dirivatives such as RWS Excalibre) can be picked up quite cheaply and easily converted to FAC (if not already) as they don't have regulators. From what I gathered from other users BSA and HW guns seem to be a little troublesome at FAC, I'm guessing because they were designed as sub 12ftlb guns.

I use a RWS Excalibre .22 set at 28ftlb using JSB 16gn pellets and get 34-35 shots within 16ftsec variance (about 195 bar down to 120 bar).

As already said 50yrds is achievable with sub 12 but it's so much easier at 28 and in less than perfect conditions it cuts down on the guess work.

thanks chaps .....thats all food for thought

i do have a sub 12 air rifle and its great for close rabbits and pigeons but the land i have has a large rabbit population and the fac pcp would be great to use as i cant always get close and would use at night lamping from the truck ...my ,22lr is brill and its very accurate...more accurate than me certainly but theres a lot of stone and flint in one corner and the ricochets from the .22 lr is something i can do without in that area so the pcp fac is the way to go i think .....

thanks again

Must admit i've hed a slot for an FAC air on my ticket now for 4 yrs and never filled it.

Looked to fill it but couldn't justify the costs, not so much the rifle itself but bottles and tanks etc, seems a lot of hassle to me for only 35 shots. if u have a lot of rabbits i could see u shooting 35 shots of in no time.

If u already have a pCP it might not be such a hassle, i don't so just seemed a lot of hassle and expense for me

I've experimented with the cci segmental bullets and they do break up so any richocets should have less energy and they were accurate enough.

I ended up going the oppisate way and got a 17hnr to minimise richocets, must admit im not the calibres biggest fans but i might be more versatile for u althou noisey and expensive to feed (possibly a 22wmr might be better)

I have a Career 707 carbine in .22 rated at 28 ftlb and find that it fills the gap easily between my 12 lb Webley Viper and Magtech .22lr semi auto. Some of my permissions are air rifle only and it copes with rabbits out to 50 yards firing Bisley Magnums. The accuracy is great, with touching holes on paper at 40 yards. With pigeons and squirrels on these permissions, it is deadly and safe, when taking them out of trees. With the longer 21 grain Magnum the magazine holds 8 pellets.

The Career carbines are getting rare, but can be bought in the £300 to £400 range. All the seals are available online.