SPRING DRILLINGS

tody27

Farmers in our area are prepairing the land. I have not however had a great deal of sucsess on spring drillings in recent years. The drilling equipment seems to be much more efficient and the farmers drill the stuff a mile deep.

Either way its great sport, good luck

webber

Tody,

I went down to Lincolnshire last week and quite a few fields had been drilled a couple of days before with spring barley. There was none left on the surface, so no shooting there yet.

I noticed a farmer, locally, drilling beans on a couple of fields. I thought he was a bit early but what do I know about planting times ??

I have not however had a great deal of sucsess on spring drillings in recent years.

:lol: Exactly the same with me Webber and i don't await spring drillings with the enthusiasm that i use to.

The only good bags i have had in recent years have been on beans where the farmer has spread them over the field and then just scuffed them in.

However i have also found that a field where there is always good shooting whatever the crop, can be used to kid the pigeons after being drilled. Even when no seed has been left on top for them to eat, a good pattern of decoys spread out can often draw them in for a good days shooting.

Another crop that usually brings results is peas especially when they start to pop up through the ground and the pigeons pull them out to get at the pea.

:unsure:

I think there just starting in my area.Id have to say that the best spring shooting I've had is over peas good numbers over beans and peas.Will be nice to get some bigger bags compared to my recent poor bags,I've struggled to shoot into double figures over the winter has anyone else had it like this??.

yis andy.

Guest flightline
I have not however had a great deal of sucsess on spring drillings in recent years.

:lol: Exactly the same with me Webber and i don't await spring drillings with the enthusiasm that i use to.

The only good bags i have had in recent years have been on beans where the farmer has spread them over the field and then just scuffed them in.

However i have also found that a field where there is always good shooting whatever the crop, can be used to kid the pigeons after being drilled. Even when no seed has been left on top for them to eat, a good pattern of decoys spread out can often draw them in for a good days shooting.

Another crop that usually brings results is peas especially when they start to pop up through the ground and the pigeons pull them out to get at the pea.

:unsure:

Totally agree ernyha. You can con the birds, always provided you`re under a flightline.

No drillings in west Lancashire area as yet. Had some superb sport on chopped up maize gamecrops with over 1100 pigeon shot since late December. This week the birds are still using the maize early in the day but moving off after an hour or so to feed on pastures containing clover about a mile away.

Cheers HW,

We've just had our first fields sown on the 6th, this is even 10 earlier than normal, the fields were frozen for the last week in Feb. The birds are not on these fields though, still hitting the rape. We've still got a few farmers that drill their own fields so the sport should be good, especially on the rocky and steep fields. The contractors don't tend to waist much any more.

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

spring drilling started about two weeks ago in my area.

most of it has bin sring barley.

but the birds are starting to get back onto the gaps in the winter rape.

a couple of farms will be drilling spring rape in a few days if it stays dry,but

most of the shooting will be on the winter rape for the week or to for me,

all i can say is roll on harvest time.