Costs per mallard

bishop

Would someone be so kind as to indicate the costs involved in rearing mallard .I am told £28 per bird but i find this figure slightly high given i am not completely ignorant to the field.As much info as anyone is willing to supply as trying to persuade members this is a good idea will rest on the economics as much as the conservation aspect of any duck rearing projects.

your thanks in advance.

Allen.

Would someone be so kind as to indicate the costs involved in rearing mallard .I am told £28 per bird but i find this figure slightly high given i am not completely ignorant to the field.As much info as anyone is willing to supply as trying to persuade members this is a good idea will rest on the economics as much as the conservation aspect of any duck rearing projects.

your thanks in advance.

Allen.

From eggs chicks,??.

About the same a pheasant mate,,But REMEMBER,Do raise them anywhere NEAR Pheasants..

Its a big no,no,..

If you buy them in at 6week old the cost is about £5 per bird this price is based on our costs last year for 3000 pheasant and 1000 duck and is just for pellet and wheat plus the cost of the bird £3.50 we start in september on the duck so by october the number of duck is down a lot so this price would go up if you keep them longer but not to £28 .

• 4 weeks later...

If you have water put a few call ducks on and feed it I up, barley in spin feeders and potatoes tipped near the margins. If you shoot every fortnight it should yield a decent bag.

Yes, it's surprising how many duck will flight into even a small pond that's fed regularly. I used to use old barley that had been lying around too long and chuck about 5lb a day into a shallow pond of less than 1/4 acre that we'd scraped out of a bit of low lying ground using a diverted ditch as the water source.

I'd start feeding about mid August, and it wouldn't take long before there'd be near a hundred a night coming into it. The key is not to over-shoot - once a fortnight- and to mske sure the pond stays fed. On that score, little and often seems to do better than too much at irregular intervals.