Shoot captain problems

Hi all. On our syndicate shoot we are having a problem with our shoot captain profiteering from the shoot money - £1000 for pellet but on buying £600 worth and pocketing rest along with a few other things we've clocked onto ! The majority share landowner has approached him and told him what he's doing & asked him to step down but he seems reluctant.

Some of the guns are oblivious to this and think he's great 😡

What do we do ? Please share your opinions

I suggest when you next see him, go at him windmilling like you've never windmilled before.

Get out your keys, hold 'em in your hands and make them count.

Seriously though, these are big allegations being thrown about and getting them wrong will have consequences.

Get evidence. Get copies of the supply documentation, delivery notes, invoices and photograph what has actually arrived.

Then ask for a statement of account or an update on the shoot books.

Normally when people are asked where the missing £x has gone, then they are able to pluck a mystery but necessary bit of pipeline cash expenditure from the air e.g. a cash repair on a quad bike

That is awful, I would be pushing for an emergency meeting with all the guns and captain to discuss what has been found out and listen to his side of the story. Depending on the outcome ask him to leave the shoot and reimburse the money.

This.

Be firm and remember during the meeting that he is stealing from you so don't fall into the trap of falling for a sob story from him or if you find his explanation somewhat credible it may be a good time to put some measure of accountancy in place so everyone can see exactly what gets paid in and what gets paid out.

I am a shoot captain and treasure of our shoot I have a receipt book and Accounts book I put money in date and all money out with a date and receipt the books can be seen by any member on request and I take a copy for each member to our meetings along with the book if you catch someone with hand in till cut it off get rid of him sooner the better

I am a shoot captain and treasure of our shoot I have a receipt book and Accounts book I put money in date and all money out with a date and receipt the books can be seen by any member on request and I take a copy for each member to our meetings along with the book if you catch someone with hand in till cut it off get rid of him sooner the better

I also am a shoot captain and we have a treasure who draws up accounts at the start and end of every season. If anything and I expect like most shoot captains I am always out of pocket because I buy bits and pieces and don't claim the money back.

Ask? No asking about it...he should be at the very least booted out with immediate effect, and better still, confronted with the evidence against him and told to repay what he has stolen within 24 hours or be faced with being reported to the police for theft (hand them the evidence). Most people if confronted with the possibility of a caution or arrest and conviction would be sensible, repay the money and go.

It all depends is it a 1 off? Or wot the deal actually is, possibly in the early days of the syndicate that extra 400 quid was used for keeper 'expenses' to run his pick up etc.

I'm not going to defend it/him but at the same time i have no idea if he is fiddleing or possibly u didn't know he got paid for doing some of the work or possibly the shoot owed him money from previous years, which is not that unusal, infact its quite likely.

Usually being a shot captain is a thankless job where u put a lot of time and effort in un-noticed and usually have to put ur hand in ur own pocket to pay for birds/rent/feed when the usual syndicate guns are slow to pay up, and as above quite often ur buying odd things here and there and never claim back.

The emergancy meeting/shoot agm is the way to go, get everything out in the open and books for the last couple of years, they may be a perfectly good explantion for it.

Most shot captains are not doing the job to fiddle money.

I'd also not go in guns blazing either, if its like most DIY shoots/syndicates the shoot captain himself or if he's lucky 1 or 2 others will be doing the majority of the work.

Not condoning corruption or fiddling the books but i'd hold of on the lynching squad just yet, even if he has pocketed 400 quid if he's doing loins share of checking birds etc its only really a few tanks of diesel, ur shoot could be far worse of if u upset him and he stops checking birds as often as he grudges fuel/time, althou he should of been honest about it

It really depends on the exact situation and wot the actual full facts are, but u do need to have a meeting a see some sort of numbers/recipts

I don't know why people would consider dabbling in a bit of junior investigation. He has been seen about the matter already and it hasn't been resolved.

Police, Police and Police.

I'm with Gordon, stop kicking your heels report him to the police.

I also am a shoot captain and we have a treasure who draws up accounts at the start and end of every season. If anything and I expect like most shoot captainsand pieces and d I am always out of pocket because I buy bits on't claim the money back.

:lol::lol: been there done that....so there other muppets out there apart from me....im not involved in that scene anymore ...but most of the people that i know that are ....are just as daft as you

and long may it continue... :good:

after being on shoots for the last 6 years not a job i would want :no: you mention a £1000 on pellets yet you say only £600 but as a question was there another bill for medicated pellet for £400 ?

Strange thing DIY shoots have a good year and everybody's your friend , have a bad year and the knives come out .

Can i ask did you have a bad season last year by any chance ?

Must admit i'm with magman, and quite often the folk who moan the most are always 'working' on shoot work parties but never seem to have to work on shoot days :whistling:

Possibly depending on the shoot lease but quite often it could be in the shoot captains name and not the syndicates, so he may be as likely to kick u or whole syndicate out and get a new 1 in. Possibly not the case here as u mention the main landowner or something

Things like this can get complicated very quickly, ur far better sitting down all together and trying to get some real facts/figures and sort it out amicably between urself's, chinese whispers beforehand doesn't help either.

But if u don't have trust its not going to be a very nice syndicate to shoot in next season anyway,

So i'd just be careful before u start accusing folk too strongly as it willl get messy/vicous, and lifes too short esp amoungst shooters as u will keep bumping into each other at other local shoots etc

I know quite a few different shoot captains from different syndicates and its not a job u take on to try and screw folk and i imagine there will be a reasonable explantion to all this