Vauxhall mokka warranty advice

markm

Now before anyone says anything. I should have known better about buying a Vauxhall. Its all part of the education of life, I've learned my lesson.

My 63 plate mokka has started to display a 'fault with the headlights'.

I took it into the dealer for it to be looked at. This afternoon the called me to tell me the following -

After diagnostics there are 3 fault.

1. Exhaust heat sensor (never shown on the car dash)

2. Car parking sensor (never shown on the car dash)

3. Problems with the headlight.

They cannot diagnose 3 (what I went in about) until 1 and 2 are fixed.

So -

1 - is covered by the 100,000 mile / lifetime warranty.

2 - is not (even though 'radar' is listed in what is covered.)

I have 2 choices, pay £150 for the diagnosis and walk away or £230 for them to fix it. If I get it fixed then they will then be able to diagnose the headlight problem and decide if it's covered or not. They will not tell me until this is done.

I've been on the phone to Vauxhall customer services for 45 mins and been told that this is the correct procedure, end of.

I started being off being the 'customer who loves his car/ service' and that got nowhere, after 30 mins with 0% success started on the 'stroppy customer' which also got nowhere.

The car still has 4 months finance to pay (not pcp but repayment).

When you google 100,000 miles lifetime warranty you get a list of what is covered, as mentioned it states both headlights and radar are covered.

Anyone have any ideas of my next step in arguing the toss?

Mum worried that they come back to me with a 4 figure quote for headlight repair.

Car is 63 plate, only 40,000 on the clock.

Edited by markm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They cannot diagnose 3 (what I went in about) until 1 and 2 are fixed.

Sounds more like WONT not cant.

Neither the exhaust temp sensor or parking sensors would have any effect on headlights.

Take it to another Vauxhall dealer, tell them what the other dealer said, dealers love moaning about other dealers.

Sounds more like WONT not cant.

Neither the exhaust temp sensor or parking sensors would have any effect on headlights.

Take it to another Vauxhall dealer, tell them what the other dealer said, dealers love moaning about other dealers.

Thanks for that.

But I will have to pay out £150 without it getting fixed. What they claim is 'diagnosis of the problem'.

You should not have to pay for a diagnostic on a car that is covered by warranty surely ?

Id get serious with them,all of those faults are covered under its warranty,so tell them to get them fixed.

You are covered under some EU law ,due to its mileage anyway,basically ,stuff should not fail after 40000 miles ,otherwise its not fit for purpose.

Try the ,'Im going to hire a car until youved fixed it FOC ,then Im going to bill you for car hire'

Go to another dealer. I have an astra and one of the glow plugs failed. Did't quibnle that. I also had a Vectra estate that took them 2 weeks and had to resort to a visit factory tecnician diagnose a emission prolem. No quibble.

Edited by Paul1440

If all items are covered under warranty the diagnostic check will also be covered you should have £0 to pay.Only once had a Vauxhall, bought a Calibra the day it was launched, it went back after 2 days and back a total of 16 times before it was handed back for good after 4mths of ownership.

Edited by Davyo

Where you made aware there would be a £150 diagnostic charge when you booked the vehicle in, and did you sign the job card agreeing to this?

It will come down to the terms and conditions of the warranty as to what is covered and what, if anything the customer is required to pay.

It should have been explained to you at the time of booking.

Edit

I've just looked at the T&Cs and they state Vauxhalls obligations are limited to a free "repair", in other words diagnostics are the responsibility of the customer.

I can't see any part of the lighting system is covered either, unless it's for software updates to a control unit.

Edited by Wymondley

Modern car names eh?

Mokka. It's a bit like the crappy names that Gamo choose for their plastic disposable airguns. If it goes wrong (or never goes right) you just bin it and never buy another.

Do yourself a favour, buy a 10 year old Golf or Passat diesel and enjoy cheap, economical motoring for a few years. When it croaks, buy another.

The daft thing is they always have to do a diagnostic check these day.My power steering rack failed on my Citreon, I told them "the powered steering has failed." "How do you know that?" "Cause I've now got arms like Popeyes's"They went ahead and did their diagnostic check and came back and told me "your powered steering has failed" Fortunately I didn't have to pay for said check £50 as all covered under warranty.

Edited by Davyo

Why not buy a reader and diagnose the faults yourself? - they are cheap enough nowadays. As for not being able to diagnose a third fault - I think that is billhooks.

I bought one for my Astra!! Been doing all my own diagnostics and repairs for years, saved myself a fortune and now making money due to friends wanting their cars diagnostics checked!!

Tell them to swivel. How do you know that the fault code relating to the lights wasn't number one on the list? Any why are they looking at powertrain faults as well as body control module faults? Your issue is with the lights, not the exhaust or parking sensors. If the car is under warranty, they should fix it at their expense. Had it out with a Vauxhall dealer last year who were refusing to change a flywheel under warranty, until I pointed out that their full dealer service history wasn't worth the paper it was stamped on. All filters were original after 30,000 miles. I know because I marked them when the car was bought new. Don't back down. Keep at them and make a fuss, even if it involves making a scene in their showroom.

Edited by Cannon

The funny thing is my l200 after 90k decided to pop itself into limp mode yesterday. Took it to our local guy who plugged it in and low fuel rail pressure. Changed the diesel filter and looks like that was it so probably just dodgy Asda diesel. And £15 to put on the diagnosis machine and a overall bill of £50

Where some of these dealers get their prices from is beyond me. In your case it just looks like they are trying to wriggle out of warranty work which is a bit of a **** take

Edited by al4x

I don't know why a garage would try an wriggle out of a warranty as the garage get paid through the warranty that's usually a 3rd party anyhow if not a new car.

I recently had a power steering rack and motor go( Citreon not pump its electric).Replacement is £1100, I bought the car private & it's a 2011 with 25k on the clock.Warrenty is a 2yr I bought myself through Warreny Direct.They told me to take it to a VAT reg garage of which I took it to Evans Halshaw Renault as they where close.Before they touched it they did a recall check and called me back to say that Citreon are covering the costs and it was taken to their Citreon dealership for repair.Didnt have to make a claim on my 3rd party warranty and didn't pay a penny other than £7.00 for the courtesy car paperwork.

Edited by Davyo

Th

I don't know why a garage would try an wriggle out of a warranty as the garage get paid through the warranty that's usually a 3rd party anyhow if not a new car.
I recently had a power steering rack and motor go( Citreon not pump its electric).Replacement is £1100, I bought the car private & it's a 2011 with 25k on the clock.Warrenty is a 2yr I bought myself through Warreny Direct.They told me to take it to a VAT reg garage of which I took it to Evans Halshaw Renault as they where close.Before they touched it they did a recall check and called me back to say that Citreon are covering the costs and it was taken to their Citreon dealership for repair.Didnt have to make a claim on my 3rd party warranty and didn't pay a penny other than £7.00 for the courtesy car paperwork.

The Peugeot 207 / Citreon C3 power steering fault is well documented.

The dealership tend to try to wriggle on it as much as they can ,but persistence usually pays off if mileage is low,and service history is kept up.

In your case ,a happy outcome with no hassle :good: