Lords Brexit defeat

ditchman

Just short of 96 1/2K now. Mind you it doesn't mean they'll act on it even if it gets to 100K.

It'll make no difference at all.

These petitions never do, they're designed to give people the idea they're doing something rather than actually getting out on the streets or badgering their local MP's.

Nearly 2 million petitioned for Donald Trumps state visit to be cancelled and it was dismissed (rightly) in minutes.

Online petitions, I'm afraid, are a cop out. If you feel that strongly lobby your MP, and keep pushing him/her. Find your local members of the HoL and engage them directly by letter. e-mail or pitchfork... the choice is yours.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll make no difference at all.

These petitions never do, they're designed to give people the idea they're doing something rather than actually getting out on the streets or badgering their local MP's.

Nearly 2 million petitioned for Donald Trumps state visit to be cancelled and it was dismissed (rightly) in minutes.

Online petitions, I'm afraid, are a cop out. If you feel that strongly lobby your MP, and keep pushing him/her. Find your local members of the HoL and engage them directly by letter. e-mail or pitchfork... the choice is yours.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I would normally agree to a point, however it helps to put a shot across their bow, they already know alot of the public would like to see them abolished, it may help to get the Lords to pipe down, as it is now likely abolishing the Lords will have to be discussed in parliament.

ok, mr AVB, I will have a wager with you, but you only, as you were the first to react to my challenge,

£10 says NO invoke of article 50 by 31st march,

If I win £10 from you I will donate it to the donkey sanctuary at Wallingford.

Ok Your on. I'll donate mine also. I'll decide who later.

ok, mr AVB, I will have a wager with you, but you only, as you were the first to react to my challenge,

£10 says NO invoke of article 50 by 31st march,

If I win £10 from you I will donate it to the donkey sanctuary at Wallingford.

So you weren't as confident as you made out last week. And even now you've watered it down from never happening to not before the 31st March. :rolleyes:

Edited by UKPoacher

mr uk poacher, please read post no. 34, the post that prompted the bet, it couldn't be clearer.

So why didn't you take up the offers last week? Its not as if you weren't on the forum. You danced all around the question. I'm still up for it if you are?

I will just stick with 2 straight bets of £10, one with avb, and one with you, uk poacher,

I will say it again for the record, I bet £10 with each of you that article 50 will not be invoked by 31st march, 2017,

if I win £20, it will go to the donkey sanctuary, If I lose, I will pay both of you, your £10 by transfer.

regards, wandringstar.

I will just stick with 2 straight bets of £10, one with avb, and one with you, uk poacher,

I will say it again for the record, I bet £10 with each of you that article 50 will not be invoked by 31st march, 2017,

if I win £20, it will go to the donkey sanctuary, If I lose, I will pay both of you, your £10 by transfer.

regards, wandringstar.

Sounds fair,

I hope that it is invoked by then, not because I want you to lose Wandringstar, but because I want to see the ball rolling lol.

None of this is going to make any difference in the long run, and they know it. Its whats known as a 'gallows kick' ie trying to kick the hangman when your hands are tied behind you back and you have a rope around your neck.

Allegedly, the expression has some historical basis, back in the days of public executions. Its what people really did, last chance to kick out at somebody even though its a pointless gesture.

None of this is going to make any difference in the long run, and they know it. Its whats known as a 'gallows kick' ie trying to kick the hangman when your hands are tied behind you back and you have a rope around your neck.

Allegedly, the expression has some historical basis, back in the days of public executions. Its what people really did, last chance to kick out at somebody even though its a pointless gesture.

Don't think I've heard that one before. :good:

I know "hangers on" is a term derived from the days before hangings were done without the long drop.