Starting pigeon shooting?

gal69

As title says, would like to take it up but dont know where to start. Anyone willing to maybe let me tag along just to watch and learn. Have some "hunting" experience (air rifles) also had a go on some duck flights last season and am hoping to carry on with that next season. Im in North Kent by the way.

The' introduction to pigeon shooting' course run by basc would be ideal for you, check basc website for courses in your area, also it would help if you filled in your profile a bit, if you can find some beating next season that can be a good way to access some pest control. it's a big ask but never know someone in your area may just get in touch! Good luck and all the best!

Best advice is don't over cook it, loads of the latest gear doesn't mean loads of pigeons.You will just get more frustrated the more gear you buy.Net & half dozen shells/fuds or simlar.Add to the pattern as you shoot & keep dozen in feather for the next time out.But overall its recy work, if you turn up and the field is lifting,walk them off,stick a pattern out,if they do t come back don't bother with the hide.Travel light and just look for flight line and get under that.Drop someone like Jdog a PM he will be more than happy to give you advise.Dont get frustrated and concerned about big bags as just one good shot can make your day.Above all leave only footprints and enjoy it.

Oh and don't forget the hobnobs

Edited by Davyo

Thanks for reply. Good advice. Its more about just getting out and about i wont be bothered about bagging up. Many times when i used to go out with the air rifles i wouldnt even get a shot off and being an angler all my life im used to sitting and waiting! First step is just to sit and watch and learn from some experinced shots. Then it would probably be a long time or if ever i can get any permission. Wont bother worrying about that untill ive got a good idea of whats what.

Gary

Ps i recommend chocolate hobnobs