Stop command and stop whistle

darren m

I'm sure NTTF will be along soon to give you a professional answer but this is how I do it. If your dog will drop on command 100% start giving a long blast on your whistle immediately after giving whatever word you use as a drop command, do this standing right in front of him facing him. At the same time raise your right hand high above your head and keep it there for a few seconds, praise him if he gets it right. Repeat this exercise once or twice every time you are training. After a week or two give the whistle blast and the hand signal but omit the verbal "drop" If he drops approach him and make a fuss of him, if not go back and continue using the verbal command, whistle and hand signal. Do all this in a confined area like your garden where you can keep him close until he's reliably dropping to the whistle before taking him out where there are game scents to distract him.

Once out in the open repeat the exercise with the dog close to you so you can react if he ignores you. If he runs on a few yards or ignores you, catch him and lead him back to where he was when you gave the signal then repeat the whistle and hand command. Repeat this no more than once or twice everytime you are with him otherwise he'll get bored of it.

Work on this until he's getting it right then read NTTFs advice to me on how to stop the dog ignoring your whistle and belting off after rabbits!!!!

As I said this is just how I do it, I like the dog to drop purely on the whistle but the hand signal is useful to reinforce the command if he's some distance from you or there are other handlers using similar whistle commands.

Good luck :unsure:

**** me yawn yawn...

Dazza you spazza put the ******* dog on a lead and walk the dog.

Blow whistle for the stop command yea.. Stop walking and make the dog lie down.

Give him a small reward either praise or some food,any food that he likes.

Then walk on with the dog still on the lead and do the same again.

Do it 3 maybe 4 times and space the time limits out.

KEEP the dog ON the lead when doing this so you can push him down gently on the whistle stop comand.

After a few days he will start to stop imediatly upon hearing the whistle dont under any circumstances say anything else to him apart from show him a raised hand.

That hand must be the barrier to stop him.

The hand is there to enforce the stop whistle command.

Dont do the same training off the lead until he`s stoping every time.

Do the same with him every time you excercise him.

Nobba..

post-13-1077743662.jpg

Vimm:

Pretty Puppy,... :unsure:

Darren:

My perfered method is similar to the other two already posted. First I teach the dog to sit on command while on the lead. Then I practice that excersise till he sits on his own every time I stop. Then I introduce the whistle, as I'm stopping I blow one hard blast on the whistle, the dog will sit when my feet stop moving. Praise the dog continue on. Continue this excersice till you can blow the whistle the dog sits and you can continue walking...you are now ready to start training off lead. If you intent to handle this dog from a distance go back and read the thread that I wrote for Gary and Juba entitled STOP WHISTLE TRAINING.