Bakerboy stand for BASC Council

oxfordfowler

Believe me, there are plenty who feel the future of wildfowling is being hurt badly by the actions of Basc.

I am not a wild fowler so no doubt missing much of the back ground. Are you referring to something BASC is doing that is hurting the sport or not doing? If it's something the organisation is doing any chance of a summary.

My feelings exactly.

I'm very much of the opinion that BASC does not have Wildfowling at the forefront of its priorities and yesterday's Conference did little to dispel that. We all see things differently but I find those who find fault with everything as annoying and unhelpful as those who refuse to accept there's a problem. I'll continue to criticise where I think it's necessary and relevant also taking the time to give praise where it is due.

There is without doubt genuine and valid disquiet within the Wildfowling ranks and a growing call for forming a new organisation. Change from within to a supposed Members led organisation should be both achievable and desirable beforehand but we will have to wait and see.

i heard all about BASC's antics at my wildfowling clubs agm,i could not believe what i was hearing!!,need to get out asap.

i heard all about BASC's antics at my wildfowling clubs agm,i could not believe what i was hearing!!,need to get out asap.

I heard it as well. If totally true it is not only unbelievable but utterly wrong. It's ok saying get out now but get out to what? For now I'd rather stay and attempt change from within.

I heard it as well. If totally true it is not only unbelievable but utterly wrong. It's ok saying get out now but get out to what? For now I'd rather stay and attempt change from within.

i don't think you have been told the whole story or you would know the answer!,will get in touch with my club committee and find out what they will allow me to say!

Are you able to share what has been said, for those that were not there or not currently with a club that had representatives attend?

Are you able to share what has been said, for those that were not there or not currently with a club that had representatives attend?

It's not my Club and though I've total trust in the source of what I've been told I'm not going to repeat it. If you go through andrewluke's posts on this thread you'll get the gist of it and what he's posted ties in exactly with what I was told.

My apologies, I thought it was something from the conference.

It's not my Club and though I've total trust in the source of what I've been told I'm not going to repeat it. If you go through andrewluke's posts on this thread you'll get the gist of it and what he's posted ties in exactly with what I was told.

Not so long ago council voted for the greylag goose to be added to the general licence, I had to get off my back side (like many other fowlers) and write a letter to NE explaining the reasons why this species should not be added to the general licence at present.

I can only presume that council were influenced by other interested parties, to spell it out our voice was not heard. I paid them to stick the knife in my back.

Fortunately NE took the decision not to add this species to the general licence. NE must have been well confused, another chink in the armour.

Consents the acceptance, with off the shelf, nationwide standard consents, which I am sure makes life easy for all, unfortunately as the rope dries it gets tighter.

I want my organisation to show some back bone for us wildfowlers, negotiation does not mean conflict, just money, patience and the right skills.

There you have it Bakerboy, let’s hope you know your onions, as well.

One of the things that does worry me about the web is "Rumour is halfway round the world before truth has got his boots on" ! We hear a lot of "I heard" or I was told" stuff but the source and quality of the information is rarely forthcoming.

David.

One of the things that does worry me about the web is "Rumour is halfway round the world before truth has got his boots on" ! We hear a lot of "I heard" or I was told" stuff but the source and quality of the information is rarely forthcoming.

David.

where are the rumours??

Very well put , if people are unhappy with BASC walk away from it and stop moaning.!

i'm a member of a wildfowling club which is affiliated to BASC,if i had a choice it would not be BASC,by being a BASC member i think i have the right to moan all i want as i know exactly what they have been up to,

Sorry but I have had a hectic couple of days and only just read the original reply on this subject from Mudpatten.

You seem to have missed the point that wildfowling is badly represented on Council because the fowling community itself has consistently failed to vote for the strongest fowling candidates, in fact it has often failed to vote at all. That being so, I would respectfully suggest that it is the fault of the fowling community who constantly fail to grasp the point that it is BASC Council that steers the direction taken by BASC. No strong fowling presence means that the ship will veer off towards other more strongly represented branches of the sport. This is democracy in action. It is not some eveil conspiracy hatched by wicked and faceless antifowlers to do down the sport. We are reaping the harvest we have sown - or failed to sow.

Quite right I could not agree more we (wildfowlers) have failed over the years to vote in strong like minded candidates. Perhaps we can stir our fellow wildfowlers out of their apathy and get them to actually vote. Who knows??.

And yes I did have "the temerity" to criticise Terry for quoting the party line. I know what the BASC has done, and continues to do, for wildfowling over the years. From talking to others and personal experience and I can find it on the BASC website. My original question to Terry asked what HE, if elected, would do for wildfowling. That was the information I was after. Not a page lifted from the BASC. To be fair to Terry we have had an exchange of PM's on this subject and private they will remain.

Please note that I have been a member of WAGBI/BASC for over 45 years. I have no intention of leaving as they have always provided me with professional sound advice when I have needed it.

OXF

Having second thoughts yet Terry/David? :rolleyes:

Most defiantly not, I am more determined than ever to be elected if that is possible.

I would like more information as too what is being said or supposedly said.

Fact is what people are asking for, but none is forthcoming, all we are getting is I have heard, I cannot say etc.

If I (I cannot speak for David) were able to do something on the Wildfowlers behalf I would need the information.

In fact if the information was on the Forum PW's greatest friend David will respond as he usually does to everyone's satisfaction

Terry

Sorry but I have had a hectic couple of days and only just read the original reply on this subject from Mudpatten.

You seem to have missed the point that wildfowling is badly represented on Council because the fowling community itself has consistently failed to vote for the strongest fowling candidates, in fact it has often failed to vote at all. That being so, I would respectfully suggest that it is the fault of the fowling community who constantly fail to grasp the point that it is BASC Council that steers the direction taken by BASC. No strong fowling presence means that the ship will veer off towards other more strongly represented branches of the sport. This is democracy in action. It is not some eveil conspiracy hatched by wicked and faceless antifowlers to do down the sport. We are reaping the harvest we have sown - or failed to sow.

Quite right I could not agree more we (wildfowlers) have failed over the years to vote in strong like minded candidates. Perhaps we can stir our fellow wildfowlers out of their apathy and get them to actually vote. Who knows??.

And yes I did have "the temerity" to criticise Terry for quoting the party line. I know what the BASC has done, and continues to do, for wildfowling over the years. From talking to others and personal experience and I can find it on the BASC website. My original question to Terry asked what HE, if elected, would do for wildfowling. That was the information I was after. Not a page lifted from the BASC. To be fair to Terry we have had an exchange of PM's on this subject and private they will remain.

Please note that I have been a member of WAGBI/BASC for over 45 years. I have no intention of leaving as they have always provided me with professional sound advice when I have needed it.

OXF

Acquaintances now, I am sure friends in the future.

The dissatisfaction of many wildfowlers has arisen as follows - this is an attempt at a neutral account.

Most wildfowling takes place in wild areas, designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or higher such as SAC, SPA, Ramsar. Shooting on them (and many other activities) requires the occupier to have a Notice of Consent from Natural England (previously NE). There is an additional legal controversy as to whether wildfowling constitutes a "plan or project" but let that one be for now.

Over the years, BASC staff have taken on the business of negotiating consents for clubs. It is arguable whether this was for them to do but we where we are. Obviously we needed to be represented by a national body in fora such as the Joint Tidal Group.

There is concern that in a number of areas, having taken over without a remit, BASC have allegedly given in and accepted on behalf of clubs consents which are unjustifiably restricted as to time-limitation, number of visits, and quarry species.

There is further concern that BASC have allegedly intervened between lease holders (clubs) and landowners such as Associated British Ports or the Crown Estate.

Many clubs have not had problems but there is a feeling that they must stand together or not allow wildfowling to be attacked piecemeal.

I have tried to make this an objective outline to clear some of the fog and I hope nobody will get shouty. I will not respond to PMs. I am a lifelong wildfowler and a life member of BASC since WAGBI days. It is the only organisation we have and we must make it work not just for wildfowlers but for all aspects of shooting sports. WAGBI used to have a motto "Non sibi cunctis" which means roughly "Not for one (but) for all".

The dissatisfaction of many wildfowlers has arisen as follows - this is an attempt at a neutral account.

Most wildfowling takes place in wild areas, designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or higher such as SAC, SPA, Ramsar. Shooting on them (and many other activities) requires the occupier to have a Notice of Consent from Natural England (previously NE). There is an additional legal controversy as to whether wildfowling constitutes a "plan or project" but let that one be for now.

Over the years, BASC staff have taken on the business of negotiating consents for clubs. It is arguable whether this was for them to do but we where we are. Obviously we needed to be represented by a national body in fora such as the Joint Tidal Group.

There is concern that in a number of areas, having taken over without a remit, BASC have allegedly given in and accepted on behalf of clubs consents which are unjustifiably restricted as to time-limitation, number of visits, and quarry species.

There is further concern that BASC have allegedly intervened between lease holders (clubs) and landowners such as Associated British Ports or the Crown Estate.

Many clubs have not had problems but there is a feeling that they must stand together or not allow wildfowling to be attacked piecemeal.

I have tried to make this an objective outline to clear some of the fog and I hope nobody will get shouty. I will not respond to PMs. I am a lifelong wildfowler and a life member of BASC since WAGBI days. It is the only organisation we have and we must make it work not just for wildfowlers but for all aspects of shooting sports. WAGBI used to have a motto "Non sibi cunctis" which means roughly "Not for one (but) for all".

Thank you.