Garrett turbo re-build

ditchman

Im getting a bit board....and i have a spare old Garrett turbo for the landrover..................and later on in the spring i will rebuild it....spoke to Garrett and they will supply a re-build pack for £35 quid...........

is it worth posting it up ....anyone interested ?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im getting a bit board....and i have a spare old Garrett turbo for the landrover..................and later on in the spring i will rebuild it....spoke to Garrett and they will supply a re-build pack for £35 quid...........

is it worth posting it up ....anyone interested ?

Deffo.

If you are mega bored and want a project, I've a plan.

Interesting but don't they need balancing?

the turbines are as you say balanced............but they are made seperatly and balanced on a standard shaft............the shaft dosnt need balancing...so if you put previously balanced turbines on it .....should be fine.......the shaft has no keyways................

sort of like have your spare wheel balanced....you can put it on any corner as a replacement and it will be fine

im not replacing the turbines as they are not damaged......but will take everything apart to show what goes on................

as usual i will most proberly be talking out of my rear end..................

Go on do it,,I will be watching every part of take down and build..

Should be very interesting,would not attempt it myself,but,show us how its done,and any pitfalls..

HHahahahah.............it is very easy............BUT...BUT one big pitfall.........and it comes early on in the strip down....that is undoing the 4 bolts that hold the shaft body into the exhast turbine chamber.......those bolts have a habit of snapping off...........apart from that everything else is very easy...circlips and 3 allan screws...thats all !!

the kit includes new bolts......in the past i have renewed the studs with stainless steel bolts made into studs...............

That sounds pretty cheap,

I bought the Cartridge of eBay when I recoconned a l200 turbo. I cheated !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262038393565

that is a good way to go about it................i could send the turbo to "Garrett" and they would send me a recon back for £283 quid....................

Deffo.

If you are mega bored and want a project, I've a plan.

a man with a plan......................go on enlighten me ... :lol:

(p.s. it must include sex and beer and money)

Welllllll..............i have started to take the turbo apart....good and bad news......got 3 of the 4 housing bolts out...but one snapped off 1/4" into the housing.......the worst thing i can do is to drill it and heat it and use an extractor....invaribly the housing cracks...!!...so i have a different method...

so i have now finished the re-build on the 40 year old Acto Royal....i will clear up my tools clean them off and put them away...clear the bench down...and start to do the strip down with pics..............will start on monday or tuesday as im off to lunch at my daughters tomorrow....it will be tooo cold on sunday...so watch this space..............

:good::good:

Welllllll..............i have started to take the turbo apart....good and bad news......got 3 of the 4 housing bolts out...but one snapped off 1/4" into the housing.......the worst thing i can do is to drill it and heat it and use an extractor....invaribly the housing cracks...!!...so i have a different method...

so i have now finished the re-build on the 40 year old Acto Royal....i will clear up my tools clean them off and put them away...clear the bench down...and start to do the strip down with pics..............will start on monday or tuesday as im off to lunch at my daughters tomorrow....it will be tooo cold on sunday...so watch this space..............

:good::good:

Enjoy your lunch ditchman, look forward to your excellent posts. :good:

did my peugeot boxer 57 plate just purchased guts for turbo and fitted them in situ without removing from the engine a liitle more expensive than thirty five quid but a massive saving on new turbo just remember to make sure oil feed pipe not restricted and good quality correct grade oil and filter used.cause of failure was injector seals blowing carbonising oil in cambox

did my peugeot boxer 57 plate just purchased guts for turbo and fitted them in situ without removing from the engine a liitle more expensive than thirty five quid but a massive saving on new turbo just remember to make sure oil feed pipe not restricted and good quality correct grade oil and filter used.cause of failure was injector seals blowing carbonising oil in cambox

cant fault you on that :good: rebuilt turbos are just soooo much money...........as you say ...the proper oil and most important...let the turbo cool down for 15 secs after driving the car....the oil will flood and cool everything down......

And don't forget the minutes of low rev warm up.

quite right.....landrovers not too bad for that ...just dont drive it like you stole it for the first mile :lol: ........BALA will tell you what "proper" turbo's look like in the dark.....if they are working proper they glow red....thats why you need to "spool" down before you turn the engine off.......treated proper turbo's should never go...........

one of the reasons why im doingthis thread is my mate has a range rover vogue v8 3.6l.......and at 105,000 miles he has just blown the turbos....its in the garage £4000 quid to replace them..........turbo's shouldnt blow at that distance.....just "muppet" use ....