Garrett turbo re-build

ditchman

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right this is the last lot for today

pic 1......exhaust turbine chamber......filthy dirty....could be a number of things...landrover not worked hard enough.....wrong oil......wrong timing......boost pin wound back in....jammed waste gate....split actuator........

pic 2....inside the shield ugh wet soot....all of the insides should just be covered with a light dry soot...

pic 3 ...the exhaust seal....like a piston ring ..

pic 4....turbine in housing

pic 5 ...carrier ready to take out tomorrow

thats your lot today........ :good::good::lol:

post-11401-0-07750000-1488730757_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-23296300-1488730767_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-23454400-1488730778_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-34986000-1488730791_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-91361000-1488730799_thumb.jpg

Simon, which make of bolt extractor will you be using?

wont be using bolt extractor......i will progressivly drill it out as much as i dare then make something out of an old chainsaw file and fold it in on itself..........not rocket science....its what you did before bolt extactors..............the thing is with all this heat it has rust welded its self to the threads....so spinning it out with an extractor might not work without heat...........if you do add localised heat to the casting..........it will crack....and this is a very good casting ....i dont want to scrap it...

I've always drilled out then re tapped the hole thus removing the old thread that was stuck in. Looking forward to seeing your drilling out then folding in of the threads technique.

Doing it your way there is a chance of the tap squeezing the old thread of the bolt into the thread of the hole and damaging it. His way is less chance of damage but his drilling must be spot on.

ive been fiddling........................not good ...it isnt working as i thought...........ive got a mate coming over tomorrow to give me a hand........have drilled the bolt out....christ it was hard had to sharpen the bits 4 times.....the bolt is so hi-tensile it wont fold like it should...so i am going onto plan B.....give that a try......then plan C....which is the option i dont want to go to...........

everything is a learning curve................... :lol:

Is the Garrett turbo thingy off one of your lawn mowers?

if it was it would take me 15sec's to cut the grass................i would be cutting at Warp factor 3....captain..........(off a landrover...its a spare turbo i blagged a while ago)

I've always drilled out then re tapped the hole thus removing the old thread that was stuck in. Looking forward to seeing your drilling out then folding in of the threads technique.

looks like i will be doing it as you say !!.................just will try tomorrow one more option.....then it will be the tap job.....................

It was the only way on high temp steam fittings with the same rusting issues. The odd time if you knew it was more or less certain to snap drilling a hole through the bolt before trying to remove could ease its removal.

Hope it comes out ok.

It was the only way on high temp steam fittings with the same rusting issues. The odd time if you knew it was more or less certain to snap drilling a hole through the bolt before trying to remove could ease its removal.

Hope it comes out ok.

the only way im going to get it out is the way you suggested.....what scuppered me was the very very high tensile bolts that are used...im just waiting for my mate to turn up tomorrow with a good quality extractor....then we will get started....need to take it easy as i am not going to bre4ak the casting....the rebuild pack @ £38.00 delivered next day is on hold....quite a good pack as it contains all new studs and bolts and ALL the internals 'cept the shaft and turbines...........

i will let you no the state of play tomorrow.....................

the only way im going to get it out is the way you suggested.....what scuppered me was the very very high tensile bolts that are used...im just waiting for my mate to turn up tomorrow with a good quality extractor....then we will get started....need to take it easy as i am not going to bre4ak the casting....the rebuild pack @ £38.00 delivered next day is on hold....quite a good pack as it contains all new studs and bolts and ALL the internals 'cept the shaft and turbines...........

i will let you no the state of play tomorrow.....................

slight oversize drill and helicoil into fresh metal