Garrett turbo re-build

ditchman

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good, you have some talent.

How are you going to test it ditchman?, install and hope it's OK or take it to a turbo rebuild company?.

i have a spare engine dont forget.....i will test it on that first...............

Seriously, these threads blow my mind, among the many things I'd change about myself would be to even have a gram of practical skills like this, I'm so far removed from doing anything simple DIY.

I've loved reading this, in awe.

Thread of the year, until you start another....

Oh and other one is to be a morning person.

If I were to start a topic like this documenting my training I'd get arrested having a pharmacology background.

Brilliant stuff, I've had to google most replies to make half sense, didn't even know how a turbo worked, do now.

Seriously, these threads blow my mind, among the many things I'd change about myself would be to even have a gram of practical skills like this, I'm so far removed from doing anything simple DIY.

If I were to start a topic like this documenting my training I'd get arrested having a pharmacology background.

Brilliant stuff, I've had to google most replies to make half sense, didn't even know how a turbo worked, do now.

im really pleased you've got something out of it..................i always feel very rewarded when someone replies and makes comment........

thank you......... :good:

I have said before how much I like these threads. This, Viking's and the boat spring to mind. Without boasting too much - I have built motorcycles and cars - from a frame / chassis upwards - every nut and bolt. I weld - to a mediocre level - and can normally make most things mechanical. Made my own rib dent puller in an hour or so, have made adjustable comb mechanisms and fitted a few.

What I don't have is the in depth knowledge and skill that these threads show.

It is a pleasure and a privilege to read them.

Well done to all.

I concur with what you said about the man's knowledge of all things practical.

As for being a 'morning person' he is only one of those as his wife throws him out of bed every morning with instructions to get her breakfast.

• 1 month later...

i have a spare engine dont forget.....i will test it on that first...............

Right................just an update on the Turbo rebuild..............

i have been looking at it on the spares bench every time i walk into the shed.. :lol: ....didnt have the balls to test it.. :lol: .....

soooo made the effort this morning....swapped the turbo off the re-built engine and put the rebuilt turbo on the engine in the shed.....made a few adjustments to the outlet position...then pumped oil into the gallery ...so it wouldnt start spinning dry................checked everything....but left the delivery side open to check it was ONLY pumping air

started it...warmed it up....boosted it up to 3/4 revs...blipped the throttle....(if it chucks out black smoke...seals need changing)....held it in 3/4 throttle with the wastegate closed....put a peice of white a4 paper under the outlet....no spots of oil...did the same with the exhaust............

turbine dosnt make any whistling .........so i have the balance right (first time).........so i will run it up a few more times over the next few days...and will tourque the compressor vane nut up to the correct setting......job done....remove it ..wrap it up ready for when i tickle the engine up in August...

so another job to tick off the list ... :good::good:

all sounds good dithcie, gobildie goop to me but you know what your doing so were ok, nice to see you back in the shed you mad hatter you :good::good:

never left the shed...just been doing other boring stuff.................found "old holbourn" tobacco tin as im fed up looking at those awful pics on the packets....perhaps they out to do the same to condom packs...pics of supporating reproductive organs....better still do pics and warnings on political manifestos............pics of rotton willies etc........

:lol::lol: iv just bought a golden virginia tin for the same reason, used to have a smaller one years ago and lined it with the old 12.5g foil packing or whatever it was, not sure what to use now, sure it will be ok just in the tin seen as a 30g pack only lasts me 4 days :good::good:

post-9513-0-07729800-1500137974_thumb.jpg