Hull Pro Game

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More upper/mid range than pigeon shell,, not asked re velocity but sure they will be similar to all the other game loads, possibly driven grouse of my gut instinct is right!

Many thanks, Ed.

This seems to correct a mistaken assumption that these are not - to use a term from earlier - 'bin ends'. I'm now (another assumption) wondering though if, as they're finite run, this is a good way to use up a stock of Cu 7s as they no longer appear in any other current load. Not a bad move as you don't bother 'plating' **** shot.

I owe you a beer - several actually. Thank you for posting.

I rang and again struck out. BUT - and it's a biggy - I finally got lucky as did the OP. Have just picked up 2,000 Hull Pro Game Fibre, 7 shot.

Didn't want to get greedy so left some for any other PWer who might like to pay the going rate for a half decent cartridge but get something top of the range-ish for his dosh - there's 1,500 left on the shelf.

Not any more. Step-son listened.

Friendly and helpful staff may or may not be a reflection of the management, but it does reflect credit on the staff themselves. Friendly and helpful but untrained staff is a poor reflection only on the management.

Tail end of last year I ordered some ammo from a well known RFD in Warwicks. Paid for it and left it for my nephew to collect. The procedure was seamless. Problem is though, is that it was for a specific gun. Step-son shot it, loved it, so he's now got it along with said ammo which was specifically bought for that gun. Now I have to go through the same procedure all over again. As this is for a new gun arriving shortly and which will come in on the light side of 7 lbs, I need something with a lighter load and a shot size smaller. Little did I know the problem this was going to cause. Settled on Express, bought a couple of boxes ready to pattern. These had to be 6s but I figured that the 7s in the same cartridge would pattern about the same. However, I then found a small supply of Supreme Game 7s. Opened a few up to check the numbers and found the 6s to be pretty damned good but, oh dear, let's just say that the 7s were really disappointing.

Back to square one, but then Wasabi started this thread and Aga Man posted on it. Sorted, with the same procedure in place but this time the courier is my step-son. Step-son then asks if these will suit the guns (one each) that he's getting us through his work. Yes. I'll have some, then. OK, I'll order and pay for them as they already have my details, you collect. Done and seamless again. I'm now thinking that although my local RFD looks after me well, it's not possible to be all things to all men, so on occasion, as was this, I had to go somewhere else and that you guys further north seem to be well looked after.

BUT. Then I get an e-mail:

Just informed my manager that you have purchased the remaining Pro Game 30g Size 7 from us, and he has just informed me that when collection is made they will need the payment card with them as security against fraud (not that I am in any way saying that you are frauding but just as a security precaution)

OK, we have a problem. The payment card is in Devon, the step-son is in Leicester and the shop is in York. Phone the manager. There's two sayings about bullpooh. One is a statement of fact and the other is an instruction when not to use it. The manager was obviously not familiar with the second. When asked what would have happened if step-son who knew that the ammo was bought and paid for had flogged up the M1 for two hours with nothing more than a tankful of fuel and his SGC and why wasn't I told this when I bought the first load. No answer to the first and he blamed the salesman, the 'retail team leader', for the second.

It's all sorted now and we have the ammo but I shan't be shopping there again. Shame, as the step-son stopped for a coffee and a chat with the staff who he found very friendly but who've been sadly let down by their management.

Can't comment on how they have handled the situation.

But taking payment over the phone is classed as a mail order transaction. They won't be insured by their card reader supplier if the items are collected.

If they are posted to the registered address then they are covered.

Come across this through work quiet often.

Can't comment on how they have handled the situation.

But taking payment over the phone is classed as a mail order transaction. They won't be insured by their card reader supplier if the items are collected.

If they are posted to the registered address then they are covered.

Come across this through work quiet often.

Thanks for that. It's all too complicated for this old chappy. It worked a treat the first time and no doubt it would have done the second time had I not upped the ante. The most annoying bit remains if this was to be the case, why wasn't I told at the 2,000 point. There can't have been any confusion on their part as they had my name and card details and the name of my step-son who would have been carrying his SGC as proof of his identity. However, I take your point on board. Hopefully, the manager will have now briefed his staff accordingly.

In this day and age card fraud is prevalent.

I see at least 1 chancer once a week trying it on through my work. Normally the address is down London way and payment always by a credit card....... And always by a dodgy sounding wannabe gangster type.

There are so many ways to play the system with mail order payments over the phone it's scary.

As a retailer you have to do it all by the book otherwise you will come unstuck at some point.

Admittably it can be a bloody pain for the customer at times and also a bloody pain for the retailer.

End of the day, they want to take your money but need to cover themselves.

Screwfix now require you to present your card and enter your pin upon collection even though you've already paid online.

Edited by a303

Sounds like a bit of back side covering by the management. Seems most things in life require a bit of that nowadays.

Sorry you have a had a bad experience with buying the cartridges wymberley, not the norm at that shop in my experience, usually always heplful and carry a good selection of ammo.

Thanks for that. It's all too complicated for this old chappy. It worked a treat the first time and no doubt it would have done the second time had I not upped the ante. The most annoying bit remains if this was to be the case, why wasn't I told at the 2,000 point. There can't have been any confusion on their part as they had my name and card details and the name of my step-son who would have been carrying his SGC as proof of his identity. However, I take your point on board. Hopefully, the manager will have now briefed his staff accordingly.

You've cleared York guns out of the 7's! Tried to buy some yesterday but had to settle on the 6's! Good shop with good staff. Apparently Hull have thousands of 7's left in the warehouse.

You've cleared York guns out of the 7's! Tried to buy some yesterday but had to settle on the 6's! Good shop with good staff. Apparently Hull have thousands of 7's left in the warehouse.

Sorry about that. There was plenty left until Step-son decided to jump on board. I had a feeling what these were and without wishing to put words in his mouth in any way what-so-ever, I think Ed has confirmed it. The box (25) is best described as functional and is in no way designed fro an extended production run. York Guns said these were prototypes, but I think not and will stay with my original gut feeling.

Although it's a bit of a gamble, I think the risk of error is very small so if anyone likes to use a half decent cartridge of that particular load, grabbing as many as you can of these while they're still available means you'll get a damned good cartridge for the same dosh. Not just because they're copper washed, but the fact that as a premium pellet you don't plate rubbish shot. Even if I'm wrong, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't remain at the current price.

Fancied getting some of these as I thought they're worth a go at £60 a slab for 30g 7's copper coated. Phoned York Guns today as I'm passing there next week. Said they weren't going to get anymore 7's in but they had a few 6's in for £295/1000.

As I'm passing Sheffield on Monday tried a guy there who again only had 6's but for £232/1000. He was adamant they weren't copper coated though.

Ended up getting someone in Brigg to get me 1000 in 30g 7's for £240.

Looking forward to trying them.

Fancied getting some of these as I thought they're worth a go at £60 a slab for 30g 7's copper coated. Phoned York Guns today as I'm passing there next week. Said they weren't going to get anymore 7's in but they had a few 6's in for £295/1000.

As I'm passing Sheffield on Monday tried a guy there who again only had 6's but for £232/1000. He was adamant they weren't copper coated though.

Ended up getting someone in Brigg to get me 1000 in 30g 7's for £240.

Looking forward to trying them.

You've done well on price, York was £275.

You've done well on price, York was £275.

Yeah I didn't think it was bad at all for the (expected) quality of cartridge. Place in Brigg didn't have any in or even heard of the pro game but said they'd phone hull and find out. True to there word they phoned me back after 5 mins, I asked for and got a bit of discount on there quoted price, End result they're getting them in next week for me.

Yeah I didn't think it was bad at all for the (expected) quality of cartridge. Place in Brigg didn't have any in or even heard of the pro game but said they'd phone hull and find out. True to there word they phoned me back after 5 mins, I asked for and got a bit of discount on there quoted price, End result they're getting them in next week for me.

Just re-read your Post #38. These are clearly marked on the 250 carton and the 25 box as 7Cu.

Guys, as this thread has had nigh on 1300 hits, perhaps a word of caution. From out of nowhere, there are now at least 3 outlets advertising these in No 6 at a price below any mentioned so far on here. These are advertised as simply 'Pro Game' and are Fibre. No retailer is going to miss out on the best selling point and as copper is not mentioned at all on these sites, I'd be inclined to be a tad wary and check before ordering any. Having said that, I'm not quite sure how old these adverts might be and also whether or not Hull have done a Pro game in the past.

Edited by wymberley

Guys, as this thread has had nigh on 1300 hits, perhaps a word of caution. From out of nowhere, there are now at least 3 outlets advertising these in No 6 at a price below any mentioned so far on here. These are advertised as simply 'Pro Game' and are Fibre. No retailer is going to miss out on the best selling point and as copper is not mentioned at all on these sites, I'd be inclined to be a tad wary and check before ordering any. Having said that, I'm not quite sure how old these adverts might be and also whether or not Hull have done a Pro game in the past.

Where are they listed then?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE