pecking pigeon !

• 2 months later...

Well Freddie boy now its harvest time all you'll need on the stubble is a few old shoes upside down for crows or reet way up with a bit of white insultin tape around the middle for stoggies, an if thurs nowt a dowin, slip into the hedgeback and enjoy a j arthur LOL

Hello again, Why when pigeon shooting should you go out into the Field with loads of tackle, seats, bags, nets, whizzers, decoys galore, hide poles, portable chemical toilet, kitchen sink, etc,etc,etc.
When you can travel Light and Fast, just as the Apache did ???
Gun, ammo, and knife........no decoys, use the hedgerows for concealment, build up half a dozen birds, study where they are on the move to, and deploy your gain there.
Ok, your 50 yards away from the area you should have put down on.......leave them there and quickly move again till you get it bang on.

Nothing worse than setting up hide poles, nets, decoys all out, all tackle set up, Whizzer racing round like something in the Fairground ?
And low and behold, Mr Columba Palumbus decides to put down with his mates, on the opposite corner of the field your shooting ???
Have you been there ?..........I have many times......What do you do ?......Stay put and hope they will come to you to play Ball, OR pick up stakes and set up OVER THERE. .?!?!?! Nope they will come and perch on top of your poles and net.

No, you just think and move quickly, and light like those Apache did, Remember that if you clean up big time and have a Bostin Day, all that Gear, and all those Woodies don't half weigh up to quite a few Poundiges you know. And you will be even more knackered taking them all back to the mota........did 200 plus once on 2inch high rape popping out of a smattering of over night snow ! Only this high rise of green could be seen for miles, and I was the one shooting it. Ten to each plastic supermarket bags! Twenty like a Chinese Cooly on two hide poles on my right shoulder ( can you see it )........I shot sportingly all those pigeons.......those pigeons very nearly got their own back, and put me in the grave, my van was at least 800 yards away due to where this field was situated, and I made guite a mess going back and forth sinking deeper n deeper with carrying 40 pigeons each trip, couldn't do that now at 68.

So the conclusion is :- go to SHOOT pigeons and don't take a load of unwanted **** with you

Regards Freddy...........there I go agen sucking Gramars Chucky Eggs .

Well Freddie boy now its harvest time all you'll need on the stubble is a few old shoes upside down for crows or reet way up with a bit of white insultin tape around the middle for stoggies, an if thurs nowt a dowin, slip into the hedgeback and enjoy a j arthur LOL

you know nought lad......we were that poor we live'd int bottom o lake.....by eck it were damp.....aud fer crow deeks lad we used up turned wellingtons....cause they wernt na use to ous int lake ....

Got some debbys dippers 2011 i made them fit crow shells they work very well only couple quid each and two small batterys lasted nearly all day.

Wish i could get hold of a couple more tried making them but cant get the right servo want one that goes 360 degres.

Got some debbys dippers 2011 i made them fit crow shells they work very well only couple quid each and two small batterys lasted nearly all day.

Wish i could get hold of a couple more tried making them but cant get the right servo want one that goes 360 degres.

Not difficult I have broken a few model boat servos over the years, just take your standard servo apart you will see a small bit of plastic stopping it rotate 360 degrees break or cut it away put servo back together.

Not difficult I have broken a few model boat servos over the years, just take your standard servo apart you will see a small bit of plastic stopping it rotate 360 degrees break or cut it away put servo back together.

As above :) snip the plastic peg off .

Edited by deny essex

Nostalgia, it is really good to hear about all these new decoys from the '50's !

One that I still use today with amazing effect is one of Tony Orchard's Apple Floaters . I also use a few Flycoys , one of Chris Greens original ideas .

Does anyone have a string operated flapper for sale or a drawing or good photograph of one please ? I have a collection of old decoying kit that I use in my educational talks to schools and Pigeon Shooting Society's. For instance , original hide poles , apart from the heavy steel road spikes were Armoured vehicle ( Tank) airials, made by TI Accles & Pollock in Oldbury , West Midlands.. Light weight telescopic poles . (also used for fishing rods)

If you can help with the string operated flapper please PM me. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember an article in the shooting times where they made some decoys that were two or three times bigger than real life pigeons and they worked but that was when pigeons were uneducated and us older pigeon shooters would spend the evenings listening to our gramophone records before turning them into decoys or fruit bowls. ;)

:lol: :lol: Enjoyed that.