Young person Defenders

Cornishfowler

So discussion time, turning 21 in summer and I would like to buy a defender.

I would do some off-road use in winter during the shooting season, however I also have to cover some motorway miles to an from uni.

My question is which model would be the type to look for as I'd need to balance the cost of buying one, running and if a defender would even be a suitable choice?

Thanks in advance would love to her your thoughts.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a defender straight after I graduated but it was a company vehicle. They are a stunning vehicle for what they are made for but with a few downsides.

I'm 6'4" so after about ten minutes the driving position was arduous and I had to peel myself out after a couple of hours on the motorway. It was crippling. The tax was brutal. The fuel economy would have been crippling if I'd have paid for it. Around 25mpg the way I drove it. Boot it on the motorway and you can literally watch the needle on the fuel gauge plummet.

Servicing was expensive at a land rover dealership but again, I didn't have to pay.

Funny though, with all those things, I loved it, and when I got to the quarry it left most things behind and just went where you wanted it to.

If you can afford to run it and maintain it, then if you buy the right one it's unlikely to lose much money.

The one I had was a 2001 TD5. Had a few electrical gremlins but otherwise the engine was solid with plenty of grunt.

A TD5 or even better a TDci 90 would do everything you want. Prices rising crazily at the minute so you most likely pay what seems too much but will hold that value or increase come selling time.

XS is the best spec' as it comes with creature comforts but at a £2-3000 premium.

My brother ran one for a few years. At 21 I'd have thought insurance would be steep. It was brilliant off road but horrific on it! It drank fuel, sounded hellish at speed and was narrower than a narrow thing. I always thought of it as a tractor that would do 90 mph. He traded it for an L200 and never looked back.

I think I suffer from the love of the prestige and the image of having a defender over its shortcomings. If only ever driven them on short journeys and have never had to deal with the problems associated with owning them.

Im currently at Agri uni so your cars image does make a statement.

An Alternative I would be looking at would be a pickup something like a Ford Ranger where I could get a much younger vehicle than with defenders.

So maybe I should get one when i'm young and free?

Edited by Cornishfowler

My cousin sort of inherited a 1990 110 hardtop, he has been driving it for a few years, it started life with the 2.5turbo unit now has a 200tdi its noisy, slow, thirsty, and never goes off road, he could have bought and run a tidy fiesta in what it costs in fuel, insurance and repairs.......

I forget how many engine and gearbox rebuilds it has had over the years it's been in family from brand new and isn't high mileage.....

Edited by HDAV

I'm 6'1" and fit in my TDi comfortably. I have put in seat risers though that gives more rear travel and a higher seat height.

Having driven series and defenders for almost all my life I now find cars painful to drive. Pickups are okay but still not great. Maybe I've grown to fit them?

And also would an EX-MOD Defender be a good way to go? or would they be a bit hit and miss

My mate has one and it's a sound truck but AFAIK all mod ones are 2.5na diesel and it is a slow slow thing and no good for motorway work.

At that budget your not gonna get much and will be scrapping the barrel. If it was me with that budget i would defiantly be going for a pick up or if you don't need the loads space a SWB mitsubshi shogun.

Edited by ferguson_tom

Hi for a budget of £5000 to £6000 you should pick up a tidy 90 or 110 but don't go for the 2.5 na diesel engine as said earlier they are very slow, i would look for a 200 or 300 tdi,

when you go to view one, take the floor mats out and look for rust. check the bulkhead outriggers, rear cross member and the underside of all doors, also have a good look at the bulkhead. all these places are prone to rust, look for leaks around the steering box also the swivel joints. when you go for a test drive check that the steering is not wandering all over the place,

The good thing about defenders is the parts are cheap and readily available, check out paddock spares,

fuel wise expect to get around 28mpg. most standard defenders have a 1.4 ratio transfer box and at 60mph the revs are quiet high and it gets a bit noisy but if you are not towing heavy loads you can use a transfer box from a discovery which is 1.2 ratio an it will happily cruise at motorway speeds all day.

be prepared to get stuck in and do some work on it, look after it, and in five years if fancy a change you will get your money back and maybe a bit more.

if £5500 is what you got.........get a 200-300 seris engine model........................................

ONLY IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO DO THE MECHANICY THING..........

if not it will become a money pit.............so get a tidy jap truck...

As a first motor I can't think of a worse car to buy. Thirsty awful to drive any distance no handling on road break down a lot unless very well maintained.

Nissan X trail 2.2 diesel is much better to drive without breaking the bank and will go off road with decent tyres. If your looking for a very good off road 4x4 buy a Suzuki Jimmny.

As a first motor I can't think of a worse car to buy. Thirsty awful to drive any distance no handling on road break down a lot unless very well maintained.

Nissan X trail 2.2 diesel is much better to drive without breaking the bank and will go off road with decent tyres. If your looking for a very good off road 4x4 buy a Suzuki Jimmny.

The man talks sense

I have a 300tdi disco which was a lot cheaper to buy and insure than a defender.

That said given the choice id have a 110, i just have a soft spot for them. The better half found them too agricultral and our budget at the time would not stretch.

2k should get you a very solid disco 1, or an absolute dog of a 'proper landy'.

I assume you arent afraid to get dirty, if you wear lace at weekends and like to keep your nails clean get something japanese.

Edited by Wb123

Cant help thinking that for £5500 you could get yourself a pretty good nick L200/Navara that would be more practical and reliable?

Have you not seen the problems with Navaras snapping in half where the chassis have rusted and all the mechanical problems they've been plagued with.