Young person Defenders

Cornishfowler

Horrible as a daily driver, horrible on a long haul, unbeatable at what they were designed for, I would look at a shogun, old pajero (the 2.8 swb are a lot of fun),land cruiser or even One of those little suzukis(if you can take the abuse from your friends about it being a hairdressers car) :-)

Edited by Twistedsanity

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy 5k will get you a cracker,lift the back seats to check the floor and engine bay behind the headlights.1st one I bought was only 2k but fully loaded off road.few rust issues but that because I went cheap.My second I spent just over 5k and it was mint with only 23k bought it in the summer and took it straight round to a place that give it the full underseal works £250. Stuck a set of A/T on and it was good to go.Very reliable,cheap insurance and great fun to drive,some people take the mick but shut up when you sail past them when they are bogged down.I got rid once I stopped shooting as I needed something a bit heavier to pull a small boat.If I ever fancy another 4X4 I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.Plenty of room if you drop the seats and make a removeable level floor.

The only other 4x4 I'd contemplate (as a shooting bus) would be a Defender but I think anything less than 15k will buy you a sinkhole, just don't understand the price of these cars.

Edited by Davyo

Jimmy 5k will get you a cracker,lift the back seats to check the floor and engine bay behind the headlights.1st one I bought was only 2k but fully loaded off road.few rust issues but that because I went cheap.My second I spent just over 5k and it was mint with only 23k bought it in the summer and took it straight round to a place that give it the full underseal works £250. Stuck a set of A/T on and it was good to go.Very reliable,cheap insurance and great fun to drive,some people take the mick but shut up when you sail past them when they are bogged down.I got rid once I stopped shooting as I needed something a bit heavier to pull a small boat.If I ever fancy another 4X4 I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

get one of those and a cheap turfer and you will never get stuck...as said earlier...if you are taking it to uni (Landy) prepare for it to dissapear.....also you insurance will reflect that it is not kept at home ...and they will sting you...

I read just the other day that our army will probably be opting for bog standard pickup trucks as a much cheaper option to the old discontinued Land Rover all of the North African Country's and UN etc do not use them for fun they are cheap to buy and fix as long as you do not get one of the dodgy Nissan ones and they do not get stolen like the LR do.

I was wanting the same car as you mate I'm 21 and at uni.

The problem I found with pick ups was the insurance mate... because they're classed as commercial the insurance was almost uninsurable!! Cheapest I could find was almost 3k with most well above 5k from memory. Apparently they become cheaper once you're 25 ... unfortunate really because a pick up truck is absolutely ideal for the shooting world! I still want one.

I'm also a huge Landy fan and was looking at Defenders: few problems with these... firstly hard tops are classed as commercial, so same insurance problems as pick ups... and to get a 'decent' one you'd be spending an arm and a leg ... and I have no mechanical experience whatsoever so a 'cheaper' one was a no go!

I ended up getting a Suzuki Jimny as my first car - yes it was small but it ticked every box I needed! Mine was dark grey, blacked out windows and silver roof rails it looked great! Was fantastic off road and with the seats down perfectalby acceptable amount of space - yes it wasn't a pick up nor a defender but it was a bog standard 'manual' 4x4 which taught me the basics... it did everything I wanted it to do also. It wasn't a motorway car but it did well and took my and my girlfriend all over the place! It's certainly worth a look bud also insurance was cheapish :good:

Good luck anyway bud

Edited by WinchesterDave

Very true. More room in a Jimney than a 110.

I was quite shocked the 1st time I got a lift in one(that grab handle had to go), as Winchester Dave says they are a great motor but you have to spend silly money.Ive just been looking on auto trader after reading this tread and £15000 get you one motor under 100k miles and majority are really old cars with 150k miles on the clock & heavens knows what the chassis are like.I think you'd need to spend nearer £25k gulp to get anything half acceptable.£15000 gets you a top of the range Jimmy with 0/100mls on the clock and less than a year old if not brand new with a 3yrs warranty.For reason I don't mind being called a hair dresser and I'd even wear a dress.

Mind you I'd love one of those defender 90's with the bucket racing seats and all done up but can't remember what you call them,£50k so need to put the lottery on.

post-30855-0-21889000-1488711935_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-34091400-1488711947_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Lots of great advice and some really thought out suggestions.

For the milage I have to cover (Cornwall to Gloucester) I believe a 1.3 Jimny engine would be too small. I do like them a lot and know that they are very capable vehicles but I would like something with bit more Poke.

The biggest problem I suffer is insurance so a pickup maybe be too unobtainable. Which sadly means I will have to steer away from the commercial vehicle route (i.e. pickups and defenders).

I think I will look at Grand Vitaras 1.6 & 1.9dds

Discoverys (although i am not very mechanically minded and will not have any tools up at university)

or a newer style Terios with the 1.5 engine

If anyone has any experience or horror stories I would love to hear it and all in put is welcomed :)

I had a Grand Vitara 3dr 1.6, on a 02,again only spent over 1k and had to have new sills and brake pipes.The sills can't be bought so have to be fabricated and cost me about £300.If your spending 5k then you Gona get a new shape one so no worries.I don't know about the diesels but was warned to stay away from the ones with the pug engines, but I don't know why.Mate had the new shape 1.6 3dr and I thought it was nice,give The Mek a PM he may give you his thoughts.

Edited by Davyo

Hey david would you know the rough mpg's of jimnys

I used to get about 40/42 on a run pottering along at 60mph and didn't find the ride bad.The 1st one I had though had 5inch lift and I felt every bump.I fettled it a bit after fitting leather reccaro style seats out of an Alfa Romeo.I defo have a look a the newer shape Terios as well, with decent tyres on these will go anywhere as well.

Edited by Davyo

If you can find a good one a 1999 or older Jeep Cherokee are great off road and do not tend to rust to much people seem to like the 2.5 diesel version I had a 4ltr petrol converted to run on LPG I regret selling it running on LPG it was quite cheap to run.

The problem with most older 4x4s is rust the chassis tend to rust Land Rovers are bad one tip that I use is to look up the MOT history of anything that you like and that tells you what they needed to have put rite to get through the MOT I looked at lots of seemingly good cars/trucks on Autotrader etc and most of them seemed to have some sort of rust issues.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Lots of great advice and some really thought out suggestions.

For the milage I have to cover (Cornwall to Gloucester) I believe a 1.3 Jimny engine would be too small. I do like them a lot and know that they are very capable vehicles but I would like something with bit more Poke.

The biggest problem I suffer is insurance so a pickup maybe be too unobtainable. Which sadly means I will have to steer away from the commercial vehicle route (i.e. pickups and defenders).

I think I will look at Grand Vitaras 1.6 & 1.9dds

Discoverys (although i am not very mechanically minded and will not have any tools up at university)

or a newer style Terios with the 1.5 engine

If anyone has any experience or horror stories I would love to hear it and all in put is welcomed :)

Lol the 1.3 Jimny is likely faster and more refined for motorway journeys than a older defender.....

I have a 2.5TD Shogun (1995, LWB) and it's slower than my old 1.2 modern fiesta lol.

I had a 1.6 Vitara, an older one, which are cheap as chips, lowish miles on some of them, really easy to fix and repair... Good enough off road, has low range 4X4, light weight and skips over mud nicely...

Simple motoring too

Over a couple of hundred miles of motorway I would rather drive a Jimny than a defender and I promise you I have quite a bit of experience in both.

David.

And I would rather drive any modern hatch back, corsa, feista, Ibiza, fabia etc

Mk2 RAV4, X trail, CR-V etc all much better on the road and won't get stuck in a damp field and at least the back seats will be useable

• 1 month later...