Young person Defenders

Cornishfowler

Lots and lots of good advice and as a DEVOTED owner of a LR90 I have to advise you to go out and buy something else until you have a few more miles yourself under your belt.

The one good thing about Land Rovers is they are like huge Meccano sets, you can take them completely to pieces nut bolt and screw and they still have a chassis, which you can re new if necessary, where with the 4x4 pick ups etc., once they rot they are just scrap metal.

My 90 is a bit different ...the 3.9 V8 engine to start with. You can alter the seating position fairly easily and comments about comfort, well, your buying a Land Rover, it wasn't designed to take the kiddies to school.

Even a Fiat Panda 4x4 would be a better bet if you can find one ..... if you really do need a 4x4 at this stage.

If you really insist, then shop around and find a solid 300TDI 90. The 110s have more room inside but are no where near as nimble as a 90.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defenders may be many things uncomfortable, noisy, thirsty among then, but it should be a legal obligation for every shooting man to have had at least one.

I love mine and heaven forbid I sold it or it was knicked I would buy another without hesitation. I drive mine from Cornwall to mid wales and bucks. Is it as nice as driving the wife's Audi? no, do I care NO.

The sensible thing to do is buy a swb Shogun, but who wants sensible when you can have a defender.

Edited by rimfire4969

I just don't get the reason behind owning a car that is liable to breakdown any moment.

I need a car I can use every day and on long 350 around trips to Scotland..

Owned enough over the years to know full well any cars can breakdown at any moment. Saw a new Rolls Royce being put on a recovery truck on the M1 a few weeks ago.

I like them but a it gets have stated a good one is stupid money.With the same money you can buy luxury.I don't spend nore the 6k on my second car (bought with fishing in mind).6k would just buy me a rubbish 200k miles Landy that would need the same again spending on it.

I have a Defender. It is comfortable for me at 5'8". Most I normally do in one go is about a 100miles though.

Only £250 a year fully comp' with agreed valuation with 10 years no claims with Adrian Flux

£220 a year tax as it is older than the cut off date for the new tax.

Its a 1998 300TDi 2.5 Wolf XD 90.

I have had him 2.5 years and it hasn't broken down on me yet and has passed its last 2 MOT's with no advisories.

I drive with a smile on my face. Whether its a sensible car to drive is another matter, but its a Landrover thing. :)

I have a Defender. It is comfortable for me at 5'8". Most I normally do in one go is about a 100miles though.

Only £250 a year fully comp' with agreed valuation with 10 years no claims with Adrian Flux

£220 a year tax as it is older than the cut off date for the new tax.

Its a 1998 300TDi 2.5 Wolf XD 90.

I have had him 2.5 years and it hasn't broken down on me yet and has passed its last 2 MOT's with no advisories.

I drive with a smile on my face. Whether its a sensible car to drive is another matter, but its a Landrover thing. :)

I have had many Landrover from a series 2a which I should never of sold to the td5 90 I am now driving. The only breakbown I had in many years that I can remember is a cam belt in a 110, luckily no major damage.