S410 vs hw100

NorfolkAYA

My shooting buddy of the last few years ran the Winerack whereas I use the 410, there is nothing that the 100 does significantly better than the AA to warrant the extra cost nor the times that Hull Cartridge have constantly failed to stop the 100 leaking. In the end he gave the 100 away in disgust and bought the AA S510 and now all is well. The 100 is stupidly accurate but then again so is the 410 as well as being kinder on the eye! My 410 is my go to tool for my semi pro pest control work and she simply does the job time and time again which inspires oodles of confidence, it has it's faults i.e. rubbish safety catch ( mine doesn't have one at all) and the bolt can be a little stiff if not greased once a year but 99.9% of the time if you put the crosshairs on the target she will perforate it for you.

Reluctantly out of your two choices the HW100 as I prefer others.

But I'd go Daystate Huntsman Classic in .177 fantastic accurate gun with no problems unlike the later regal version of it. The S510 Ultimate Sporter is a good gun too, a well sorted BSA R10 mk2 is another worthy hunting tool.

Edited by figgy

I have both of these guns.

I have a s410 in .22 which is a good accurate shooter, the only problems Iv'e had is a stiff bolt which has caused it to double load a few times, the bolt has needed lubing, but would recommend it.

I also have an HW100 in .20 which is just a better gun, accurate, good magazine, enough shots per charge for me, only a small pellet probe problem cured by lubing magazine o ring, if you can afford one buy an hw100.

• 3 weeks later...

My shooting buddy of the last few years ran the Winerack whereas I use the 410, there is nothing that the 100 does significantly better than the AA to warrant the extra cost nor the times that Hull Cartridge have constantly failed to stop the 100 leaking. In the end he gave the 100 away in disgust and bought the AA S510 and now all is well. The 100 is stupidly accurate but then again so is the 410 as well as being kinder on the eye! My 410 is my go to tool for my semi pro pest control work and she simply does the job time and time again which inspires oodles of confidence, it has it's faults i.e. rubbish safety catch ( mine doesn't have one at all) and the bolt can be a little stiff if not greased once a year but 99.9% of the time if you put the crosshairs on the target she will perforate it for you.

There you go again bruno, bad mouthing guns u never used, like in the gamo phox thread. when will you ever learn ?. Now tell us all who your shooting buddy is who "gave away" his £800 hw100 in disgust and please ask the guy he gave it to, to confirm he received a lovely £800 gift from your buddy please !

Edited by HudsonSir-HesHicks

To be fair to Bruno he has mentioned this before I think and oddly enough people do this if they have a dog of a rifle as you dont want the backlash of selling it privately or to a local dealer.

I have owned a 410 a 510 and a HW100 full length. We have a fair few 100s passing through the club and generally speaking we have a lot more issues with the 100 than the 410s/ 510s.

Generally with 100s its tends to be air leaks and more worryingly over powers after a bedding in period. In fact from recollection one of the RFDs does have on their website that all customers should return their 100 before the years warranty expires to check the power so it can be fixed FOC as they have had so many go over the limit.

Personal choice for a hassle free life I would go for the 410 or 510 n fact probably if I had the money to drop for a HW100 I would go for the 510 ultimate sporter.

hello, back many years when i was looking to buy a new PCP after using a few S/H ones i did a lot of research on various forums, Q/C was part of the research as was reliability/ price/ weight and shot count, i chose an AA S410 in 22 for ratting after looking and trying other makes including HW, fast forward now and seeing quite a lot of people on various shooting forums mention the Q/C of HW PCPs like the 100 leaking air, my choice now would be the same if you want a standard type rifle, a bottle rifle would be a BSA R10. the AA had 4 years of 3/4 nights ratting a week with no problems and still going strong with its new owner. you pays your money and takes your choice my ratter now is an FX VERMY MK 1 22, been serviced and will out last me :lol:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

If you're going new, I'd be more inclined to look at the S410. As oldypigeonpopper says, HW are going through a pretty shoddy patch. Their quality control is pretty ordinary these days and it's not restricted to their PCP's. their springers aren't what they used to be from new any more and the HW110 has been a bit of a problem child. Added to that the global recall of 100's and 110's after they changed the barrel type and it's a bit of a bad time to buy one from new! As far as I'm aware, nothing's changed on the S410 since the dawn of time - because it just works. A good used HW100 might outperform an S410 at the top and bottom ends of a full charge due to the power curve, but I'd agree with Bruno, the 410's reliability is worth its weight in gold.

Hudson? stop it, it's boring. Bruno's comments are (once again) fair enough.