How far do you drive for your fowling?

wildfowler.250

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nearest access for me is under 20 minutes drive. If I was shooting Kings Lynn marsh that would be less. I could travel maybe 75 minutes or so to the furthest marsh I have access to. I wouldn't want to travel much further than that.

I have never been out of my area to do wildfowling , when I had my gun punts and shot the estuary , the boat shed was down the end of the road so it was quicker to walk than to start the motor and the nearest marshes were well within walking distance .

My main duck shooting marshes now are no more than 5 or 6 minutes away if I take my motor , and if I go after the geese I don't normally go more than 6 or 7 miles from my house , one of the benefits of living near the coast ,

I have never been out of my area to do wildfowling , when I had my gun punts and shot the estuary , the boat shed was down the end of the road so it was quicker to walk than to start the motor and the nearest marshes were well within walking distance .

My main duck shooting marshes now are no more than 5 or 6 minutes away if I take my motor , and if I go after the geese I don't normally go more than 6 or 7 miles from my house , one of the benefits of living near the coast ,

a drive down the track (should walk) or my nearest is at the bottom of my garden furthest 15 min drive or half a mile as the goose flies.

a drive down the track (should walk) or my nearest is at the bottom of my garden furthest 15 min drive or half a mile as the goose flies.

I think you will be the winner islandgun for the shortest distance, with the nearest fowling being at the bottom of your garden , as long as your garden isn't more than a mile long :lol:

When we had the 1953 floods in our village, some of the blokes used there gun punts ( without the cannon on the deck ) to row up and down the roads to see if they could be of any help . my dad turned down there kind offer and got transported to higher ground in a rowing boat as I don't think seven of us would have got in a 21ft gun punt :yes:

I think you will be the winner islandgun for the shortest distance, with the nearest fowling being at the bottom of your garden , as long as your garden isn't more than a mile long :lol:

When we had the 1953 floods in our village, some of the blokes used there gun punts ( without the cannon on the deck ) to row up and down the roads to see if they could be of any help . my dad turned down there kind offer and got transported to higher ground in a rowing boat as I don't think seven of us would have got in a 21ft gun punt :yes:

its about 200yds, you must have been a baby in 53, shame you didnt get that that ride you would have been the youngest to skipper a punt

1 3/4 hours to the scottish solway from darlington

Do you bother with linisfarne much?

Lucky!

Nearest "club" marsh about 10 minutes. Farthest more like 2 1/2 hours.

Cromarty Firth many many hours and miles of bad road.

I don't really understand the question. If you want to live close to a certain fowling ground then you might have to change your career etc. and many have done so. It depends on what your priorities are in life.

Nearest "club" marsh about 10 minutes. Farthest more like 2 1/2 hours.

Cromarty Firth many many hours and miles of bad road.

I don't really understand the question. If you want to live close to a certain fowling ground then you might have to change your career etc. and many have done so. It depends on what your priorities are in life.

Just curious how far folk routinely drive. My normal trips are within 15-30 minutes. Jobs are fairly flexible. I'm just trying to work out what's the furthest distance from the coast that I can practically go.

When I rejoin my old club this season, the nearest marsh will be 15 mins away, the furthest just under an hour. My goose shoot in Northants is a 2 hour drive and odd trips to the Wash is 3 hours. Many years ago I drove to Leven for a morning flight and then back home again, 7 1/2 hours each way.