best hide poles?

Well, I looked all the expensive ones and did fall for it and spent hard earned cash on some years ago. Now I buy the adjustable line prop poles. Spray 'em matt black. Make up some kick plates and good to go. Average about £4..50 each.

I have some that I have had for 20yrs and still do the job.

Looked at them but they do seem expensive

The OP asked which we thought were the best. These are probably the most expensive but at around £20 more than an average set and being they are one of the most intrinsic part of our shooting kit, my personal opinion is that I think it's worth that little bit extra.

Had mine for a few years now and having tried various ones, think these are the best that I have come across.

The cheaper ones will work, but I found they fail when it comes to hard ground.

Edited by Cosd

made my own out of adjustable clothes props, had some hollow old ally fishing rod rests that I cut the points off, the props slotted snugly into the ally, then I drilled an 8 mm hole through the prop and ally then put a length of threaded bar through and spring washers and nuts each side, these have outlived all the other hide poles I have had. cost about £4 each to make.

for the last 15 years or so id been using a set of five that id made myself , i gave them away last year to the farmers son on one of my permissions , i bought a new set of four poles from the auction site for £25.00 , they looked ok but were total and utter crud , the points were made from plastic and werent even glued in lol , i didnt realise until the first time that i used them , and the spikes stayed in the ground when i pulled the poles out lol , the company that i bought them from didnt want to know and just fobbed me off.

i managed to retrieve the situation by strengthening the poles , and rodp very kindly turned new steel spikes on his lathe.

if youre buying hide poles , buy them from someone decent like paul hart.

MelB3 ,

Can you still get the Tony Orchard, Apple ones from Sporting Supplies at Bloxwich or Bob Stanton at Great Bridge???

Sorry for the late reply mate.

Ive seen hide poles for sale in both places , but ive never taken a good look at them to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

I had pinewood for a number of years and having tried some of the cheaper ones they are light years behind the pinewood ones , yes they are a bit on the dear side but they are light to carry , got longer spikes than most and don't get snagged up with the net when packing up for the day.

As for after sales service , when I had mine I tried to kick mine into rock hard ground and yes you have guessed it I snapped one , when I went to the C L A Game fair a few months later I found Pinewood had a stand there and I asked the chap if they sold single ones as I had snapped one while trying to get it into hard ground , he done better than selling me one he gave me one f o c and four new cones that went inside the top half of the hide pole , brilliant service at the time and I would highly recommend them , weather the same people run it now , I couldn't tell yer .

I'll be down at Aldi tomorrow, thanks. Yes, these line props work fine. I just pinch the end to make a point but before doing that cut about 4 inches of 1 inch box section, the lightweight stuff is fine. Drill a hole at one end, big enough to slide over the bottom of the pole for about 6 to 7 inches and then pop rivet onto the pole. Makes a perfect tread bar. I have a half dozen already but plan to make up a hide already attached to the poles, so I can simply unroll and push the poles in with camo attached. I think that system would help if you needed to move quickly.

However ...best laid plans of mice etc. :-) All of this would fit on the trolley I have just made with some old golf trolley wheels.

Edited by Walker570

I use the line prop ones and put them onto some steel concrete reinforcing cut like + so the bottom bit goes in the ground and the bottom of the prop goes on the top bit and the two side bits keep it stable if that makes sense.

H

edited to say some of this cut like +

post-16219-0-51283200-1491076831_thumb.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

The stuff is welded together but just cut it in a shape like + with some bolt cutters or a hack saw one for each hide pole/prop.

Does that make sense? There is normally always some off cuts laying about on a building site.

H

Hah!! This time it will let me contribute.

Yes, I was asking if you fix those welded cross pieces to the poles... if so how?

Edited by Walker570