Seize the Moment

Thursday morning being the dutiful husband I helped the wife at the stables it was a sunny windy day and as we had finished I said what a nice day it was the wife suggested that it was a nice day for shooting , I then mentioned it was going to rain all day Friday so she said why don't you go today , so I agreed.

When I returned home I quickly loaded the car took two frozen birds and put them in the passenger footwell and turned the heater to full on that side and drove out looking. After passing five farms I had not seen anything worth setting up for. On the sixth farm I drove through to the main rape fields with no birds flighting or down and then retraced my steps to the thirds field and scanned it with the bins to find approx sixty birds hard down in the far corner in the lee of the wind by a hedge so I drove round and the birds lifted and I set up the magnet with the birds that I had thawed on the way out. The wings were now flexible enough to fit on the magnet it was now 13.30 and I waited for the birds to return in the very strong wind. I had three birds come to the magnet, I hit the first and missed the second although I felt I was on the bird. after a bit two more came I hit the first and missed the second. I put the hit birds out on cradles above the tall rape. I hit and missed a few more birds before I realised that the strong wind was slowing them down to the point I was giving too much lead. I shot till 16,30 and managed to pick up thirty two birds with at least four lost in the rape.

Saturday collected DB at 08.00 and headed out to a rape field that we had not shot for three weeks, we had a look at two others on the way and they had birds in the trees but not feeding. DB went to talk to the farmer and he agreed to shoot. When we drove down the track the flock lifted and we wondered if they would return. We were set up for 11.30 with twelve thawed birds two on the magnet and ten on spikes. the first birds in just flared away from the pattern and we had to keep moving it round to get them to committ. We had to put up shots to move birds out of the trees and come to the decoys. We shot till 16.30 and we had a chat to the Farmer and he told DB that the next door farmer had been shooting the roost woods and setting of rockets which had spooked the flock of birds many times so we understood why they were spooky. We ended the day with sixty birds which was a good result considering the conditions.

16bc7598-4814-4041-8757-f96bea4585e2_zps

e0ecfd4b-52b7-4a60-b2a9-d2ffabfb2c40_zps

More hard work, but a good result.

Birds stalling on the wind can provide some spectacular misses, I find rooks and crows do this a lot, perhaps a good reason to take a semi auto, at least you get that third chance to correct things. :)

Lately the bangers have come out in my area and some seem to be louder than usual and those rockets really do crack over a large distance.

Well handled PC. Others would have taken offence.

Thanks JDog, I have no need to lie only to inform and encourage. I learnt from and early age that if you lie about figures you are only deceiving yourself. When I was fishing the Fens on the Delph I had a good number of Pike that were 19.13, 19.14 and 19.15. In some people's minds they would all have been twenties. One member of our Specimen Group would always deduct 2ounces off a fish in case it had swallowed the baitfish.

Thanks JDog, I have no need to lie only to inform and encourage. I learnt from and early age that if you lie about figures you are only deceiving yourself. When I was fishing the Fens on the Delph I had a good number of Pike that were 19.13, 19.14 and 19.15. In some people's minds they would all have been twenties. One member of our Specimen Group would always deduct 2ounces off a fish in case it had swallowed the baitfish.

Yes, very well handled. Your reputation goes before you, but you did well not biting.

Good heavens... it was probably a joke...

Are we that sensitive now....

That's a possibility of course, and hopefully you're right. I'm sure the crowman will clarify if that's the case and he has been misunderstood.

The problem, and the reason for people's reaction, is that like most forums we have in the past had problems with people picking holes and backbiting at the slightest opportunity, which in turn leads to fewer people posting about their exploits for fear of being jumped on by a handful of anoraks.

Thankfully a lot of the really bad know-alls have moved on one way or another to other forums, but folk enjoy the reports posted on people's days out and dont want to see contributors driven away by carping.

Good heavens... it was probably a joke...

Are we that sensitive now....

Dear me we are getting sensitive, fortunately PC took it exactly as I am sure it was meant (tongue in cheek). Most of PCs picks look the same, loads of pigeons, PC with his posh tash and a smile, in a field :lol::lol:

Good going as usual mate. I have the mick taken out of my fox pics all the time with lots of claims they are all the same pic :lol:

Come on...it was only a joke old bean.

Should of saved it for the beginning of next month

No Problem

Dear me we are getting sensitive, fortunately PC took it exactly as I am sure it was meant (tongue in cheek). Most of PCs picks look the same, loads of pigeons, PC with his posh tash and a smile, in a field :lol::lol:

Good going as usual mate. I have the mick taken out of my fox pics all the time with lots of claims they are all the same pic :lol:

They Are???????