Propane against rats

rubyred

Hi lads will propane kill rats i have a few chickens and the rats are digging under there coup i have tried all the rat poison on the market bug the ruddy thinks are still there.I was wondering if i put a tube down one hole after sealing all the holes i can see.Then pumping it full of propane i would then stand back with my shotgun for any that get out.Please dont say put a match down hole after there is enought gas down there done that with a wasps nest coverd in wasp cake mind you it made lovely chub bait.

If you light it thats what the new thing does is it the rodentattor ? fills the rabbit /rat burrows with gas then ignites it gets the farmers going seeing the explosions but can only be done to empty burrows

if you want to try that try a hosepipe or a pipe from your car or garden machinery exhaust but be better using a terrier or two

but there, there as they are getting food and shelter break that cycle and they will go elsewhere but i would have a trap set 24/7

You will only get rid short term as long as there is a food source there will be rats.I got rid of my chickens and even stopped feeding the birds which was hard to do as I love watching them.

No rats since the chickens and the bird table went.

Yep! deny them food and harbourage and the rats will go elsewhere!

Phostoxin tends not to kill rats in my experience. The blighters are too smart ! Drop a couple of Phostoxins down a rabbit burrow and bung it up with a clod of earth and move onto the next hole for success on bunnies. Drop a couple into a rat hole, and within seconds there's rats legging it in every direction as they evacuate the place at speed from every available exit point.

It spooks you up the first time you see it happen.

• 1 year later...

We was nightfishing one morning my mate was cooking breakfast when he seen a wasp nest in the ground he took the pipe of the cooker a pushed in the hole turned on the gas for about 5 minutes pulled pipe out then throwed a lighted but of paper in the hole he was coved in dead wasps and waspcake i caught some lovley chub on the grubs i found after i stoped laughing

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Chainsaw and a dog mate that's all you need. 

If you think there's only a handful, get ready for a surprise. Worst hedgerow I did I thought 15-20 max. About 80 came out. Only shot 2. 

As every one says tho, if you've a food source you'll always have rats. 

hello, a kind PW member lent me a chainsaw smoker and it worked a treat, 20 out of one hole under thick concrete behind the dryer barn, hoping now the 2 farm cats will sort them out, going to try using in the combine that is parked up for winter, it is started up about every 2 weeks but even then some stay put, can be expensive if they chew wires or belts. 

• 5 years later...

Hi, please could you tell me, if I lift all the bird food off the floor, remove water at night and tidy up, will the rats go elsewhere, or if the car exhaust is an answer, is there a max length of pipe, (my car is some distance from the main NEST) or will it still be effective if I run the car for long enough, appreciate any help, I'm not an expert in this (rats) just a gardener. Thanks

On 13/03/2024 at 11:40, Ann said:

Hi, please could you tell me, if I lift all the bird food off the floor, remove water at night and tidy up, will the rats go elsewhere, or if the car exhaust is an answer, is there a max length of pipe, (my car is some distance from the main NEST) or will it still be effective if I run the car for long enough, appreciate any help, I'm not an expert in this (rats) just a gardener. Thanks

Hello, is it a few coming to pick up bird food or some where you store bird food, Or ????, how many rat holes or where they are coming from ??