vauxhall

armsid

i see that peugeot have bought Opel from GM and the future of luton and ellesmere port are in limbo .PSA say they must do some cost cutting and closing the UK plants would be cheaper than Germany whose shut down costs are triple ours (merkel would not approve her beloved Germany losing out to Britain) your comments please

Depending on any trade agreements that may be negotiated, there could be tariffs payable on cars imported to the U.K. or into the EU. If a zero tariff is negotiated, clearly this does not arise but we won't know for sure for a couple of years or possibly more. I am pretty sure that total sales will be greater in the EU, so the decision as to whether to continue production in the U.K. depends on how much it costs to close a factory and what you think is likely to be the outcome of trade negotiations. Regarding the latter, if it is zero rate tariff there is no loss or gain either way but if there are tariffs, the company loses. Would you take a bet where you could win nothing or lose something?

Peugeot took the EU bribe killed Coventry and opened in eastern europe for cheaper labour and various other fiddles so dont be surprised if they do the same to Luton and Ellesmere .Strange how the EU was supposed to make it illegal for this type of instant mass =unemployment for short term gain still someone probably got a nice new house/car/holiday out off allowing this to happen.

Global market = no job security for anyone ,Land Rover Discovery isnt made in Britain either yet nobody told the customer,s in the US and China who think theyre buying British

Edited by clakk

Hopefully the new owners will keep investing in Vauxhall. GM is making a loss from cars being made in the UK. The outlook for trading with Europe is currently looking at worst bleak, at best no better than now. It's offloading it for a good price now rather than taking a gamble that the unexpected happens and it all turns out rosy. So why not if it has a buyer.

The biggest danger to the UK is if the uk goverment takes on supporting the debt/losses to keep it going.

I have a Vauxhall. Good car IMO. But most seem to prefer Audi or BMW. perhaps people should start by looking at whats on the drive if they are worried about this countries car making future.

You could look at it the other way, at present French and German manufacturers sell more cars to us than we sell to them by a big percentage. Once we leave the EU those cars will be dearer, so UK made cars will be more attractive to buyers in the UK

I keep trying to point out to people, the single market does us no favours

Interesting.. no doubt we'll find out. But if cartridge pricing is anything to go by Manufacturers tend to aim maintain there market share and markup accordingly. If 75% of the componants weren't made abroad it would be clearer what we are in for. I suspect that prices will just increase across the board. People will still buy German/French cars as they will dictate the prices that we pay for cars or other products made here at least for several years if not 10's of years as they have the componant markets and will be able to set them how they wish.

I'm concerned as I don't know what the ace up our sleeve is.

We don't have enough people with the right skills and I worry about where the investment is coming from. The banks are on the move ( which may not be a bad thing in the long run as they ruined the country for the last 10 years)

You could look at it the other way, at present French and German manufacturers sell more cars to us than we sell to them by a big percentage. Once we leave the EU those cars will be dearer, so UK made cars will be more attractive to buyers in the UK

I keep trying to point out to people, the single market does us no favours

According to Vauxhall's figures, 80% of their production is sold into Europe and the majority of the component manufacturers are based there. In saying that, Ellesmere Port and Luton are two of their best-performing manufacturing plants and production of the Astra was located here and a German plant closed as a result.

The guy from PSA, said , "his immediate efforts will be to improve standards" ! Over what?

Has the ##### ever driven , the most unreliable cars on the road 'ie; a Peugeot/Citroen.?

Even the French dont like them.

Hmm! :hmm: Why then are the roads in my part of France full of Peugeots and Citroens? :whistling:

Put this in perspective. There are 4,500 jobs at Vauxhall and 75% of the components are made abroad. One colliery local to where I lived employed 6,000 men and another 1,000 were dependent on it. And that was just one of dozens closed down at a stroke. Car manufacturing isn't the labour intensive business it once was. It is sad for those involved but there are many more losing jobs to globalisation and mechanisation.

I was told by someone I know who owned a garage in France that Renault wern't as popular

I think that out in the sticks the choice of vehicle will depend on the dealer's reputation. The vast majority in our area seem to drive Citroens and having experience of the dealership I can understand why. It is top notch. The Renault dealer also does Dacia and they are taking a lot of the Renault customers as they are much cheaper. I see far more Citroen and Peugeots than Renaults. But Dacias are all over the place. You don't see many Fords, Opels, Japanese, Korean or German cars out here either.

If we lose vauxhall it is not just the factory and suppliers that go it is the communities around the area shops garages pubs etc. saw this in coventry as i watched wickmans standard motor panels dunlop carbodies (london black cab makers) and the technical college downsize hence lack of skills and no one to teach the students apprentices the gov must do what they can for these areas ,not build houses and expect them all to work in aldi or other low paid jobs Ford closed transit assembly in souythampton it went to turkey

Edited by armsid

Vauxhall have a huge black hole in their pension scheme like many companies. This from The Telegraph "£1bn funding hole in Vauxhall’s £2.6bn pension scheme"

No screaming like there was about BHS? Any reason?

I think that out in the sticks the choice of vehicle will depend on the dealer's reputation. The vast majority in our area seem to drive Citroens and having experience of the dealership I can understand why. It is top notch. The Renault dealer also does Dacia and they are taking a lot of the Renault customers as they are much cheaper. I see far more Citroen and Peugeots than Renaults. But Dacias are all over the place. You don't see many Fords, Opels, Japanese, Korean or German cars out here either.

I think his garage was out in the sticks, in a small vilage