crow shooting

bagup-sam

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Weren't they the old Jackie Stewart load? 

Did have a conversation once with someone who swore by them through a bit of choke for drey smashing.

Any cartridge through "a bit of choke"will be great for drey bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I have had some very good days decoying Corvids, for me they decoy better than Pigeons. I agree with most of points above. I usually start with 6-7 decoys spread randomly around the field. A couple of "lookers" on fence posts or visible in bushes help.  The hide needs to keep you very well concealed and if possible try to build it with a roof, as birds coming from behind  will see you and fly off. If shot birds drop chest up or with wings spread wide. Go out an pick them up. as they spook other birds, Also if you wing one or one drops say 100 yards away go and pick them up as these also spook other birds. Bright windy days are always better than wet days.

• 7 months later...
On 06/09/2019 at 19:56, craig1982 said:

I have had some very good days decoying Corvids, for me they decoy better than Pigeons. I agree with most of points above. I usually start with 6-7 decoys spread randomly around the field. A couple of "lookers" on fence posts or visible in bushes help.  The hide needs to keep you very well concealed and if possible try to build it with a roof, as birds coming from behind  will see you and fly off. If shot birds drop chest up or with wings spread wide. Go out an pick them up. as they spook other birds, Also if you wing one or one drops say 100 yards away go and pick them up as these also spook other birds. Bright windy days are always better than wet days.

Interesting reading as I have found the opposite being the case in regards to birds with wings spread , I place mine with wings spread and it works great in my experience. Quite right in birds being pricked and landing 100 yds away , I go out and dispatch straight away and bring back into the pattern as if not any new arrivals seem to head for that lone bird. Great sport decoying corvids , I prefer it to pigeons.

Went out to the pig farm today, loads for crows and jackdaws all over the sow pens. Shot a 55 mixed bag. One crow dropped into an  electric fenced sow  pen about 300 yards away. I was amazed how many crows were attracted to the dead crow and how agitated they became. Really good day for corvids today, very bright with a light breeze,  should of have had 120.