Shooting field

tody27

Hi guys. Here is a terrible pic i have just drawn showing a field that has just been sewn with cereal.

The colour on the pic means:

brown with yellow= bit i will be shooting,i.e. the cereal

Green= winter wheat

Red slashes= No entry

Dark green= hedges

Black= Privatly owned wood

As you may see from the diagram, it is impossible to shoot from the hedge along the winter wheat as its too far from the shooting area.

What I would like to know; where I should shoot from?

a. I dont know the owners of the wood, would it be leagl to shoot in the field, but bordering the wood (say 1m from it)?

b. Would the pigeons mind too much if I built a temporary hide in the middle of the drilled cereal or the winter wheat?

c. Would I damage the winter wheat and drilled cereal if I put a hide in them and walked about a bit?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tody

post-11-1077732849.jpg

Guest Mr Pieman

In fields that are difficult to get to, I often build a 'hide' in the middle - or a few in various places if large. They consist of four hazel sticks with hessian sacking draped around them to make a square. Put them up and leave them for a few days so the pigeons get used to them and aren't spooked. All I do then is sit in the square and put my netting around it and hey presto!

Four pallets work well too, but they are very heavy to lug about.

I wouldn't think you'd cause too much damage by walking on early drillings, but perhaps run the idea past the farmer first, to explain it will help increase your chances of greater success in controlling his pests.

Also, consider putting crow scarers (bangers etc) near to the wood (but not in it as that would mean you were tresspassing!) to keep the birds on the move and stop them flying off to an area you can't access.

Good luck

PP

Cheers PP, :unsure: I might consider making some hides.

Cranfield,

The pigeons are feeding at the wood end of the field and not near the bottom hedge.

I will ask the owner of the wood, but is it neccasary, if I'm going to be about 1m from the wood border?

What i might do is shoot from the bottom hedge, if the pigeons arent attracted then I will move to the wood border. If they are still not attracted i will set up in the centre of the field. Is this a good idea or not?

cheers for the replies :lol:

tody

I can,t see why the wood owner would object, if you set up 1 metre from the edge of the wood and didn,t fire into it.

But, there are some funny people about, especially landowners.

If you don,t want to approach the wood owner, ask your farmer if he thinks its OK.

So much consideration has to be given regarding setting up nowadays.

Its not just a question of flightlines and pigeon location, but loads of other factors.

A lot depends on how isolated the fields are, where are the nearest dwellings, public rights of way, livestock in fields etc. etc.

Thanx Cranfield,

I am planning on shooting it this weekend, and I dont think the owner of the wood lives close by.

However I will chat to the farmer.

As respect to the location of the field, it couldnt be in a better spot :lol: - the nearest dwelling is my house (3/4mile away) and there are no public rights of way. The cattle are a couple of fields away so they should not be a problem.

It is looking good though, I got on top of my house this morning and used the binos, I could see plenty of pigeons on the field and another 30-40 flying down from the woods.

- I will keep you posted on how it goes. :unsure:

cheers,

tody