Recrowning a barrel

gemini52

I have a hw35 with a twenty inch barrel,toying with the idea of cutting it back to around 12 inches,i know the barrel will need to be recrowned,the question is will it need doing by a gunsmith or is there a diy solution,i have looked on utube and the ways shown using s brass screw and cutting compound,anyone done one if so any feed back will be appreciated.

I've seen lots of videos as you describe regarding re-crowning. Usually using a soft brass screw in a cordless drill, and covering it liberally in cutting compound. Going on the you-tube videos, they look like they come out ok. But i've been told, a non complicated re-crowning cost around £50.

If you value your gun, why take the risk by going by You-tube videos??

I know virtually nothing about 'Gun-smith' work. But you intend on cutting down a barrel, by around half is a lot! It may affect the rifling. As in, would a pellet stabilize in such a short barrel? I have no idea myself. but i'd guess it would make some difference..

Just a thought, and hence your question i suppose.

Good Luck!

J.

A good read on barrel length dynamics.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/04/is-airgun-barrel-length-important/

Barrel length DOES NOT determine accuracy
There is NO CORRELATION between barrel length and accuracy. A short barrel can be more accurate than a long barrel, or vice-versa. Length alone has nothing to do with it.

I've seen lots of videos as you describe regarding re-crowning. Usually using a soft brass screw in a cordless drill, and covering it liberally in cutting compound. Going on the you-tube videos, they look like they come out ok. But i've been told, a non complicated re-crowning cost around £50.

If you value your gun, why take the risk by going by You-tube videos??

I know virtually nothing about 'Gun-smith' work. But you intend on cutting down a barrel, by around half is a lot! It may affect the rifling. As in, would a pellet stabilize in such a short barrel? I have no idea myself. but i'd guess it would make some difference..

Just a thought, and hence your question i suppose.

Good Luck!

J.

Walther and most 12ftlbs air rifles have a one twist in sixteen inches rifling. There are some with one in twelve. Shortening the barrel should not effect accuracy providing crowning is properly executed. You could also benefit by having a faster Lock time.

Aren't air rifle barrels choked at the muzzle? To that end, don't you remove material from the breech end instead?

A lot of barrels were/are choked but the effectiveness of the coke is variable, what is bad for accuracy is a barrel where the choke is not right at the end and you get a slight destabilization just before exit at the muzzle or you have an uneven crown.