Dog Advice

timclarke

Our dear old rescue collie/retriever cross died last year and we are now ready for another dog but although I've had rescue dogs all my life I think this time I'd just like a dog with no "issues" and have been looking on the internet for "trained dogs" but this dog won't do any sort of work there'll be a family pet. I don't suppose anyone has any recommendations of where to get one from - we're in Great Missenden in Bucks? Tim

What do you define as 'trained' ???

'Trained' as in for a specific role ? Or 'trained' as in an obedient family pet ?

If it's a family pet you're looking for, surely a large part of owning a dog is the raising, nurturing and training aspects of dog ownership ?

After, like kids, you get out what you put in.....hopefully

Can you not get 'rescue' dogs that don't have issues, What about your local RSPCA, or Battersea Cats & Dogs

Dogs Trust have mixed reviews generally, I have had both a positive and a negative experience of but seem much more of a business than charity.

Yes, that's a good question.

I suppose i don't mean trained as much as "not bonkers". Just a calm temperament with minimal fear/aggression to other dogs/people really.

I fostered a rescue Doberman/collie cross which i thought was a fantastic dog full of beans and clever as anything but for some reason he didn't seem to like women (kept pulling my wife off the lead and bit her as well) and was terrified of other dogs. He'd have been a great dog in time but the missus (understandably) was scared of him so that was no good.

I guess if i'm honest I just want to minimise the "challenges" to begin with by starting off with a dog with as few issues as possible.

Get the right breed, or cross breed that's half the battle. Getting a trained (which will probably actually be only half trained) dog means you'll have missed out on having it in it's formative stages and you'll have to work hard to form the bonds that occur naturally when you get a dog as a puppy.

I don't see any direct connection with rescue dogs having behavioural issues. Sometimes the issue is with the owners. I took on quite a few rescue dogs; springers and GSDs and turned them around into working police dogs in very little time. They didn't have any more issues than the pedigree pups that were bought in from working lines.

If you are looking for a cast-iron guarantee of a dog with no possible issues then you will be disappointed. There is no such thing. The nearest thing though would be a retired or failed guide dog from the RNIB: http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/supportus/rehoming-a-guide-dog

At least you would be made aware of any issues, many of which wouldn't be a problem for a sighted person.

We went on a Web site once I think it was something to do with the kc you fill in a form which is a series of questions about you and what you want from a dog and it will recommend a few breeds

Don't know if it's still around

A well trained and looked after GSD will take some beating for a family dog obviously in my opinion but they can suffer health problems

Edited by jonny thomas

Photos of dogs of similiar breeds to our lost ones always make me a bit choked.

When meeting them live only joy at the nice dog is felt.

Go and look at some live ones, you will feel a bit better about it.

They always steal a chunk of your heart when they go, but it does get a little better with time and a new dog is a big healer.