Would you believe? plod on the mobile

djgeoff

Came across a flock of about 20 old people on cycles today down a country lane.

5 of the ladies were cycling while on their phones, all over the road. :rolleyes:

I love the oldie brigade, they come across my field on the footpath with hi viz jackets on and the front one has team leader on the back.

I haven't seen anyone on here proclaim the police are perfect or that they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions, I have however seen loads of people on here with massive chip's on their shoulders with anything to do with them, maybe it's these people blame them for licensing issues or something I don't know? And for the record I'm not a police officer.

Fair comment, but some of us have a tarnished perception of police. I'm old enough now to realise that they're like any other section of society and I'll acknowledge there are good and bad examples within, but my experiences so far haven't filled me with confidence.

I know quite a few retired officers and shoot with most of them; some of the related exploits they hit up to were downright criminal or at least morally wrong. I could fill a page with many tales from the horses mouth as it were, but that's for another thread.

Fair comment, but some of us have a tarnished perception of police. I'm old enough now to realise that they're like any other section of society and I'll acknowledge there are good and bad examples within, but my experiences so far haven't filled me with confidence.

I know quite a few retired officers and shoot with most of them; some of the related exploits they hit up to were downright criminal or at least morally wrong. I could fill a page with many tales from the horses mouth as it were, but that's for another thread.

But what's the alternative? I believe they do their best in very trying circumstances. Without them life would be somewhat short and brutal, mankind being what it is.

I dated a police officer once. What I witnessed her experience nearly every day, would try the patience of a saint.

A life dealing with scumbags tends to colour your outlook somewhat.

IMHO it's more a surprise that so few are " bad apples"

Atb

As usual I can't disagree with anything you've said, what gets my back up is the people on here taking a swipe at them constantly for no good reason. They're human and make mistakes, there is obviously good and bad to but on the whole I believe the officers themselves do their best, I know many coppers and certainly the ones I know have joined up for the right reasons, they're also the first to go out of their way to help anyone they can. I just don't get the same people on here constantly bashing them (I obviously don't include yourself in that group, your one of the most objective people on here)

But what's the alternative? I believe they do their best in very trying circumstances. Without them life would be somewhat short and brutal, mankind being what it is.

I dated a police officer once. What I witnessed her experience nearly every day, would try the patience of a saint.

A life dealing with scumbags tends to colour your outlook somewhat.

IMHO it's more a surprise that so few are " bad apples"

Atb

I'm not suggesting there is an alternative. There are bad people in this world, and the world needs policing.

There are bad and corrupt teachers, nurses, doctors and politicians etc etc etc, and in a perfect world those in positions of authority over others would be and should be whiter than white. Unfortunately the human race is imperfect; it's called being human.

Not just the Police but politicians, NHS, local authorities etc etc......the taxpayer pays these people to do a job, as long as they do that job honestly and to the best of their abilities, I personally have no problem.......when these public employees screw the taxpayers with dishonesty, false expense claims and other criminal acts, think the law does not apply to them and fail to do the job they are employed to do that is where my support stops.........the real problem for me is they should be accountable, but often they are not.

The police do a difficult job often under difficult conditions but when they are no longer held accountable for their action and can do as they please without fear of repercussions we are on the start of a very slippery downhill slope

Speaking from experience they solve it by a term called "local resolution"....is short no ones accountable, meaning them.

I disagree, the police not only have to be accountable by law but there own code of ethics which sets a much higher bar than most careers, theirs always going to be a bad apple in any line of work, I also think they are still tarnished from their image from back in the bad old days, things have moved on and the police force is one of the most regulated and scrutinised professions you could do IMHO.

Not just the Police but politicians, NHS, local authorities etc etc......the taxpayer pays these people to do a job, as long as they do that job honestly and to the best of their abilities, I personally have no problem.......when these public employees screw the taxpayers with dishonesty, false expense claims and other criminal acts, think the law does not apply to them and fail to do the job they are employed to do that is where my support stops.........the real problem for me is they should be accountable, but often they are not.

Don't forget that us public employees also pay taxes. So therefore we must be self employed. If so it's the worst paid self employed job I have ever had!

Don't forget that us public employees also pay taxes. So therefore we must be self employed. If so it's the worst paid self employed job I have ever had!

How and on what basis do you, as a public employee, conclude you "must be self employed"?

As in commercial employment situations, Is it not reasonable for the taxpayer (the employer) to expect anyone they employ to be honest and do a good day's work? And if not......account for any shortcomings?

Where exactly is a cousin mentioned.?.eh.gif.pagespeed.ce.-SB2SuldiM.gif

One another thread, I assumed your cousin was an ex cop when you posted this "My cousin now retired told me that shoplifters, if caught are asked if they have the money to pay for the goods they thieved, if they had, they had to pay for them, if not a warning.

So at worst you have to pay if you get caught, if not another one under the belt & free to thieve another day....no wonder he left."

Last summer when my rear window was stolen out the back of my Jimny.One of the two officers that came to see me my wife knew one of them. When they left she said he used to be into drugs and stealing cars when they where at school, I asked how she knew and she said "he stole a car in front of everyone at a party"

Two weeks later we where in a local pub having a bar meal.The was some bloke in the next room (big open arch) giving it loads of f's and being very loud.I got sick and walked round to tell him to curb the language only to see it was the very officer that came to my house.

Where are they getting them from these days? Don't they have a duty to behave in a respectable manner when off duty? I hope that this guy is part of a minority as his behaviour was that of a yob.

On another thread...lol...got ya now.

Nope cousin nothing what so ever to do with this one.

Had a running battle with a force who nearly killed me & my two daughters one morning on the school run, the ones training to become pursuit drivers.

Apologies, I got my wires crossed

You do indeed pay taxes, but only after the private sector have stumped up to the government so they can pay you in the first place!

Think of the government as your payroll clerk and the private sector as your boss.

Now, stop arguing, you're not self employed... oh, and get back to work. ;)