Possible SGC revoked

If it doesn't state that technically you have a traders policy. That is the only insurance policy that allows someone to drive an uninsured vehicle.

Not arguing but where does this knowledge stem from? my policy is a private car insurance with all the extras and no voluntary excesses .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not arguing but where does this knowledge stem from? my policy is a private car insurance with all the extras and no voluntary excesses .

I have a traders policy to do exactly as your insurance does. Going by your policy you could buy 40 cars put them in someone else's name and use your insurance to cover them all. An insurance company would never do that on a standard car policy or why would we pay a lot of money for insurance to cover us for any vehicle.

This is my standard car insurance wording

Provided the person driving holds a licence to drive the car or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence.
The policyholder only may also drive a car not owned by them or hired to them under a hire purchase agreement and which is not used in connection with the motor trade provided:

l The owner of the car has valid insurance in force on that car which does not cover the policyholder on this policy to drive that car.
l The owner of the car has given the policyholder permission to drive it.
l The car is driven within the territorial limits of this policy.

l The car is used within the limitations of use shown

Edited by Luckyshot

When I get home from work tonight I will photograph the relevant section from the certificate and add it to the screenshots from the policy booklet. With regard to your std policy I would fully expect it to have those restrictions as I assume you would have told them you were a motor trader.

When I get home from work tonight I will photograph the relevant section from the certificate and add it to the screenshots from the policy booklet. With regard to your std policy I would fully expect it to have those restrictions as I assume you would have told them you were a motor trader.

I have 2 separate policies, one personal and the other one a traders policy. The traders policy has nothing to do with the motor trade.

There you go photo of certificate added to post above along with the wording from the policy booklet, as can quite clearly be seen I can drive any other car regardless of its owners insurance status :good: . In addition to this you will also note there is business use which has also been clarified with the insurer to mean just that, I do appreciate many will not have these clauses but then I do check things like this meticulously before parting with cash and for further information the car is a top of the range Mondeo estate and the cost was about £240 with Direct Line.

Certainly is and Im soley tempted to cancel my traders policy in favour to a standard policy like sports bob has.

Don`t do that as can be seen it specifically excludes use for motor trade

There you go photo of certificate added to post above along with the wording from the policy booklet, as can quite clearly be seen I can drive any other car regardless of its owners insurance status :good: . In addition to this you will also note there is business use which has also been clarified with the insurer to mean just that, I do appreciate many will not have these clauses but then I do check things like this meticulously before parting with cash and for further information the car is a top of the range Mondeo estate and the cost was about £240 with Direct Line.

Don`t do that as can be seen it specifically excludes use for motor trade

My traders isn't for the motor trade (forestry work) just use multiple vehicles so could be worth a phone call cheers

It might be worth getting an online quote pay the money well in advance of the insurance starting so the paperwork is with you before the insurance starts and if the wording is the same as mine then job done. If the wording on the certificate is different then call them to amend or cancel that way you don't arise suspicion or insure cancellation costs.

When you take out fully com you must state that you want a open policy to drive another persons car on third party fire and theft

In my experience the driving of other cars is third party only, there is no theft cover. In addition to this the moment you are out if the car it refers back to being an uninsured vehicle if there is no other existing policy, this means you can only leave it unattended on private land.

I've just checked mine, got a multicar policy with me and the Mrs on it from Aviva and they also don't require the car you borrow to be insured. I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm as I need to get a car with no tax/mot/insurance in for an MOT soon. but heres the relevant bit of the policy.

post-78534-0-04930000-1489097185_thumb.png

post-78534-0-61459100-1489097477_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I got caught out with a similar issue.

I have three cars and one had been off the road declared SORN for over a year as it was really just a track car and needed a new gearbox and a load of other work doing.

I had cancelled the insurance on it a year before as it hadn't moved and couldn't be stolen as it had immobiliser, no battery and a removable steering wheel.

I had two fully comp policies on my other cars that allowed me to drive any vehicle third party.

I drove the car to the garage for new gearbox and MOT doing.

I thought I was covered to drive it third party but got stopped on my way home and couldn't produce a policy for that particular vehicle so got a fine and 6 points (I think) for driving with no insurance...

I should have read all the small print properly but I still think it's ridiculous.

In a lot of European countries they laugh at how we get ripped off here as they can just insure the driver and can drive any vehicle on one policy. A bit like a trader policy here.

Only here can you need three policies when you can only be in one car at a time lol

Same with the new SORN rules where if you don't declare it or renew it you are seen as guilty of having your car on the road even when it's sat on your drive.

Edited by ChrisPCarter

mine lets me drive another car, with there consent.

So do most peoples, the point the above poster was making was the same as sports bob. Some insurance policies specify that any other vehicle driven needs to have insurance on it where sports bob policy for example doesn't state this so I'm assuming the above poster thought his insurance was the same.