One can dream..

WinchesterDave

I like the idea of a landrover and that does look nice but the price is crazy. I paid less than half that for a 14 plate Hilux, with 30,000 miles and all the toys.I can drive in relative peace and quiet without smacking my knees and elbows on everything!

I am afraid I loathe Land Rovers. Brought up with them in Africa, hate them with a passion.

Oh, the joy of driving around Africa over laterite roads, hard as hell and twice as rough, in Series 2 or 3 with cart springs. The corrugated surfaces where the ride could be almost tolerable when travelling dangerously fast, but shook you to pieces if you slowed down to a safe speed. Carrying great quantities of petrol in cans, because the LWB models achieved little better than 16mpg on dirt roads. The city-based expatriates who spent 50 weeks of the year trying to think of somewhere outlandish for a safari holiday, just so that they could justify having bought the L-R. Those are my memories from Uganda and Nigeria in the early 1970s, when Land Rovers literally caused PITA.

Having said that, I never failed to reach my destination. Minor faults could be fixed at the roadside, and if you snapped a rear half-shaft you could simply engage 4WD to get home. Newer models would no doubt be more comfortable, but not necessarily more reliable or more repairable.

Oh, the joy of driving around Africa over laterite roads, hard as hell and twice as rough, in Series 2 or 3 with cart springs. The corrugated surfaces where the ride could be almost tolerable when travelling dangerously fast, but shook you to pieces if you slowed down to a safe speed. Carrying great quantities of petrol in cans, because the LWB models achieved little better than 16mpg on dirt roads. The city-based expatriates who spent 50 weeks of the year trying to think of somewhere outlandish for a safari holiday, just so that they could justify having bought the L-R. Those are my memories from Uganda and Nigeria in the early 1970s, when Land Rovers literally caused PITA.

Having said that, I never failed to reach my destination. Minor faults could be fixed at the roadside, and if you snapped a rear half-shaft you could simply engage 4WD to get home. Newer models would no doubt be more comfortable, but not necessarily more reliable or more repairable.

Which is a good enough reason for not buying one. :lol: My mate has a 54 plate Land Cruiser with 150k+ on it and it has only ever had one fault in all its life - an alternator failure a couple of months ago. Took us an hour to change it. It spent the first 8 years of its life towing a builder's trailer around West and North Yorkshire and off duty a caravan around France.

All the folk who cuss people.in "Chelsea tractors" should remember that a land-rover is an agricultural vehicle not a road car, I couldn't think of anything I would rather not drive on a long road than one of those

Suzuki Jimny? Just horrible on the road. Superior off it albeit at the expense of some space.