bt charge

guinty1

I was on a deal with BT for line rental and broadband and that deal came to an end, they then put up the price, so i shopped around for a better deal and i am now leaving BT. Got an e mail from them today saying i will get a final bill within the next 7 days. Fair enough, but at the end of the email it says i will have to pay a £31 broadband cease charge. What is this charge for, has anyone else had to pay this. I am not ending a contract early or anything like that, but they want £31 for what.

Talktalk take ownership of your landline when you go with them and if you have a fall out with them as I did they cut you off meaning a £130 bill for reconnection by BT.

As an aside BT has just signed a totally ludicrous £1.2 billion for the European CL and EL rights, that will no doubt be spread across all customers. An example of competition (with Sky) just meaning the consumer pays ever spiralling costs until they get fed up and pull the plug.

We went from TalkTalk back to BT and there was no charge for reconnecting - how can TT say that they "take over" the line surely all lines belong to BT and are maintained by Openreach. As for BT demanding a broadband cease charge, were you under contract with them when you cancelled because the price went up?

If your contract has finished, it's finished. If the price you pay goes up during your contract then the supplier has deemed to have broken the terms of said contract and I'm 99% sure that the law now allows you to walk away - there can be no penalties. Once you have been informed of a price rise I believe you have 30 days to tell them where to shove it.

Because you should have given notice before the end of the contract, not after!

In other words you give notice the month before the contract ends to give notice that do not wish to continue with it.Unless you end it, it is considered ongoing. It is simply a term of the contract which you signed.

If you didn't cancel before the end of the original contract, it continues until such time you cancel it. That's why you got clobbered the extra month because you failed to cancel and because you pay one month in advance in all contracts.