Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

It says on the form any British citizen can sign.

which makes it sort of daft! No on will pay any attention to it really. I like the mentality behind this petition system, but it's just got a bit out of hand. British citizens outside Scotland haven't had a first referendum on it, let alone a second.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Given the number of signatures it's got, it now has to be considered for debate in parliament, giving more voice to the SNP to shout about it during time specifically designated for it. It's a chance for the SNP to claim how anti-scotland the rest of the UK is and that it's better for them to leave. The PM certainly won't want to donate any time to the issue; she's got on or two more important things to worry about right now.

Edited by chrisjpainter

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These petition are just a joke what does it prove out of what is it 60 Million people in the uk even if they was to get 5 million people sign one that is a tiny fraction of the people so its all a load of rubbish. :no::no::no:

Given it only relates to scotland, who have a population of 5-6 million, a 5 million turnout would probably be more than the number of people eligible to vote anyway.

I could be wrong but don't the Scotts have a say in some English parliamentary affairs?

And will collect Tax for them Dave, however they have yet to set their rates and that will defo get the Scott's seething.They did set the rates to start 06/04/16 but then changed their minds,however they system is ready to rock so to speak.

Edited by Davyo

Given it only relates to scotland, who have a population of 5-6 million, a 5 million turnout would probably be more than the number of people eligible to vote anyway.

If that is all there is living in Scotland why bother with a vote just build a big beautiful fence and let them do whatever they like we can build our own boats and keep our subs they can pay us what we had to put into there banks to keep them going.

I take it, it's only people in Scotland can sign?

I don't know the actual figures (so its only a guess) but I would imagine there are more people who are Scottish or claiming Scottish decent living in England than the census figure for the population of Scotland.

Scotland's biggest export has always been people.

Plus, a lot of people who do live in Scotland aren't Scottish. The tourist industry, forestry etc relies heavily on Eastern Europeans.

I don't know the actual figures (so its only a guess) but I would imagine there are more people who are Scottish or claiming Scottish decent living in England than the census figure for the population of Scotland.

Scotland's biggest export has always been people.

Plus, a lot of people who do live in Scotland aren't Scottish. The tourist industry, forestry etc relies heavily on Eastern Europeans.

and the oil industry relies heavily on people from all over the UK and elsewhere. Interestingly the armed forces do too - so when Nasty Nic sets up her self defence force ('cos they'll be no ability to project power) will she filter out all the non-Scots, or in some Roman way do you have re-do your oath? In which case that would put every service man and woman in breach of their original oath.

and the oil industry relies heavily on people from all over the UK and elsewhere. Interestingly the armed forces do too - so when Nasty Nic sets up her self defence force ('cos they'll be no ability to project power) will she filter out all the non-Scots, or in some Roman way do you have re-do your oath? In which case that would put every service man and woman in breach of their original oath.

I doubt Scotland would need anything more than a token armed forces she knows full well the rest of the UK would never allow Scotland be invaded regardless of being independent or not.

Anyone know what the turn out (number of votes) in Scotland was for the BREXIT referendum?

Scotland

Leave 38.0%

1,018,322 VOTES

Remain 62.0%

1,661,191 VOTES

Turnout: 67.2%

Other than NI they had the lowest turnout, both England and Wales were over 70%.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

I make that about 30% of the voters in Scotland - And she says she has a mandate from the majority of Scots ???

the majority of British people didn't vote to leave the Eu but apparently we are leaving, so has Teresa may got a mandate to leave the Eu when only 38% of the population voted for leaving.

Edited by toontastic

I make that about 30% of the voters in Scotland - And she says she has a mandate from the majority of Scots ???

Like I said - it's the equivalent of the population of an area the size of West Yorkshire holding the whole UK to account....and she calls it democracy!

The SNP come out with guff like 'imagine having to ask Brussels for permission to hold the Exit referendum'. However whilst Brussels isn't our government Westminster is Hers - unless of course the SNP MP's are just there to take the ****.