Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

The official answer regarding the petition from the Scottish Office which I am sure for all those who signed the petition would have received the same reply.

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Another Scottish independence referendum should not be allowed to happen”.

Government responded:

The UK Government is clear that now is not the time for a second independence referendum.

The UK needs to work together, putting all our energies into ensuring we get the right deal for the UK and for Scotland in our negotiations with the EU.

In 2014, the Scottish people decided in a legal, fair and decisive referendum to remain a strong part of the UK. The Edinburgh Agreement of 2012 committed both the UK and Scottish Governments to respecting the outcome of the Scottish referendum. Calling for a second referendum is creating damaging uncertainty for the economy, and most people in Scotland do not want the country to be plunged into another divisive campaign. All our focus should be on our negotiations with the EU and working together to get the right deal for Scotland and the right deal for the UK. It would be unfair to the people of Scotland to ask them to make a crucial decision without knowing what our future partnership with the EU will be or what the alternative for an independent Scotland would look like.

As the Prime Minister has set out, we will strengthen the Union of the four nations that comprise our United Kingdom. We will negotiate as one United Kingdom, taking account of the specific interests of every nation and region of the UK. When it comes to the powers that we will take back from Europe, we will consult fully on which powers should reside in Westminster and which should be passed on to the Devolved Administrations.

This will be an opportunity to determine the level best placed to take decisions on these issues, ensuring power sits closer to the people of the UK than ever before. It is the expectation of the Government that the devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will see a significant increase in their decision-making power as a result of this process.

Scotland Office

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think mine would be clenching too if I were her. She now knows that her future is 100% dependant on winning independence. Should she lose she'll be consigned to the wilderness with fat Alex and with them both crying foul and being relentlessly irritating. Even if that happens, the next SNP leader will start it all up again and so it will go on until they eventually get what they think they want.

All of this palaver of course became inevitable once devolution arrived. Give them an inch and they want a foot, give them a foot and they want a yard, give them a yard and they want a mile etc. etc.

I got to sort of disagree with you, her future relies on them not having a referendum, it is acting like a smoke screen for how badly they are doing in running Scotland, if they had that referendum and whichever the result was then they would have to get on with trying to run the country and would be shown up for how inadequate they are.

Scotland deserves more than that shower of **** whether they go alone or stay in the union.

Wee fat eck was caught lying about the once in a lifetime vote , wee jimmy krankie knew downing street was going to say no to another referendum there busy with brexit shes needs time to rally her failing supporters as most folk are sick of it now and the yes poll is sliding

Wee fat eck was caught lying about the once in a lifetime vote , wee jimmy krankie knew downing street was going to say no to another referendum there busy with brexit shes needs time to rally her failing supporters as most folk are sick of it now and the yes poll is sliding

+1

I have been in contact by email with my local MSP who is unfortunately SNP to ask about some of the previously unanswered questions and I got a bog standard reply from one of her assistants requesting my full address etc to ensure I was in fact one of her constituent's. I don't hold much hope for a proper answer to my questions but I will wait and see. a copy of what I asked is below.

"While I may not fully understand the reason for this afternoons debate at the Scottish Parliament as we were told by the SNP`s previous leader that the independence vote would be a once in a generation and that both he and the SNP would conform and accept the result of the democratic vote. This is now a very topical discussion around many places and as a voter in your constituency I have a number of questions that I feel I need answered, some of which were asked last time around and still have never been answered.

My initial question to you is, do the SNP currently have a FAQ web page in order to find out more about some of the leading questions? and be given reassuring and honest answers.

Having looked briefly on the SNP website I came across the 2016 manifesto and there was a statement regarding the NO voters in the last independence referendum and that it is the intention of the SNP to convince the previous NO voters change there mind. How do you and the SNP it intended to do this?"

In today's papers thers's a picture of Sturgeon sitting on a sofa acting out a facile photo-op while in the meantime the country -including Scotland - enters into very dangerous political waters.

It's plain from the picture that the woman is quite evidently revelling in having gulled credulous Remainers south of the border into conflating her own shallow parochial ambitions with their wider political vision of a cooperative Europe. Like her predecessor, she's desperate for the chance to crow atop her very ain midden -and the consequences for everyone else be damned, including her fellow Scots. Not the kind of person to have at your back in a crisis.

But she's played it very badly. All the evidence is that the Scots have more sense thzn she gives tgem credit for. This survey of Scottish businesses must make unpalatable reading for her.

http://www.frenchduncan.co.uk/news/french-duncan-news/indyref2-survey-results/