Stopping the gun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is allowed an opinion. The op asked for opinions it was not specifically aimed at a minimum x amount of experience.

With the greatest of respect of course

With an equal amount of respect, do you trust your Doctor or do you ask people for a medical opinion?

ok thanks all .. i tend to pick up the bird from behind and then follow 3secs (ish ) get in front at a guess of lead and pull trigger and stop . and i have an easy hit bead so i do tend to look at bead and bird .. guess i need to take it off

If it is a RED easy hit thing, maybe that is why you are stopping, try changing it for a GREEN one ! :hmm:

Edited by Westley

. just like most people on here shoot most days and have been for yeears which i havent .. so was asking advice which i thought this forum is for ?... and its a green bead westley but how is that going to change things green or red ...Lol

Edited by Norfolk shooter adam

So you decided to offer your opinion to a genuine question with "just practice lots"?

We all have to start somewhere, and like I said when I started, I was only hitting about 20/100 and after 5 shoots had greatly improved to 60-70/100 which is about my average at the moment but I'm still improving and learning and not one lesson.

My intention was not to annoy coaches but to try and say, give it a chance you will improve with time and practice.

I don't know how long you have been shooting but I don’t think I'm doing bad for about 6 shoots

With an equal amount of respect, do you trust your Doctor or do you ask people for a medical opinion?

Fare point. To use the Westley example I ask a doctor but I don't pay him or go to his surgery we sort of do it over a hypothetical pint down the pub 😁

In other words I ask the informal opinion of a professional or one with vast experience, these people are readily available at almost all clubs, mentors who become good friends sometimes.

My point is that "some" people respond better to informal friendly mentoring rather than full on formal coaching.

ok thanks all .. i tend to pick up the bird from behind and then follow 3secs (ish ) get in front at a guess of lead and pull trigger and stop . and i have an easy hit bead so i do tend to look at bead and bird .. guess i need to take it off

I think you are using a hybrid method of swing through and pull away. If you come from behind usually you don’t stop to track the bird for three seconds you pull the trigger when the gun catches the clay and the gun speed needed to catch it puts on lead.

For Pull away you tend to mount on or as near as dammit on the clay then pull away to the required lead. Tracking the clay for 3 seconds seems a bit much to me but there are many ways to shoot a clay so I am not saying it cant be done but most top shots don’t track the clay for long periods unless mega clays.

There are always exceptions and hybrid methods that do work but I think catching the clay up slowing down to track it for 3 seconds then pulling away is your problem.

So trying swinging through without tracking or mount on the clay closer to your intended kill point, then pull away and pull the trigger just before the lead looks right but push the gun to the correct lead the gun speed means it will get there before you brain pulls the trigger.

I personally would not track the clay for so long but without seeing you I could be completely wrong.

ok thanks all .. i tend to pick up the bird from behind and then follow 3secs (ish ) get in front at a guess of lead and pull trigger and stop .

Being simplistic it sounds to me like it is a conscious stop, a sort of ambush style. Don't over complicate just keep the gun moving and the timing will come with experience

birds arent likely to suffer as im not shooting them with a shotgun yet .. ive been on a friends clay trap and me or him are not hitting much so i cant get experience off him as hes doing something wrong also ..just i need to get experience and better with my beretta to start using it with better affect than a fac airgun .. ok thanks ips :good:

Adam

Ignore any doubters- it comes with time and practice.

As to not shooting live quarry due to this perceived problem- even the best of em miss a few and wing a few others, hence other threads running regarding dispatch of pricked birds.

We can't all be experts :-)

Yes it's true a lesson or two would do wonders for you- but some of us were also self taught and haven't done too badly out it.

Depending where you are in Norfolk then there are some really good clubs/shoots ( you don't have to be a member of them but if your into the sport then joining an Association might be worthwhile for the very fact they include insurance for your activities) then pop along.

At most of the places I have **** when I used to be in Norwich there was always a resident coach to offer some guidance.

PM if you wish as I have just returned to Norfolk and getting back 'in with the crowd'

Hi jaymo .. thanks for the info .. im looking to go along to highlodge clays in suffolk maybe or maybe a little closer to home not decided yet il maybe go some weekdays and weekend so 3 times aweek. .. also even tho im not a good shot yet im still a full member with basc , i was just poking around on here and asked for the input as a majority of people maybe shoot everyday and have sensible advice for me to take in 😆

Edited by Norfolk shooter adam

Or just practice a lot.

I dont see why people waste money on lessons, spend the money on clays and cartridges and practice.

But most importantly enjoy yourself.

Personally I think that it depends on the individual and "WHY" you shoot in the first place. Some people can learn from books, some from DVDs, and some better from formal coaching. People retain information better in different ways..

Personally I like to self teach, I like to figure out the problem myself, "Yes a coach my sort it out faster". and a coach will be able to observe errors that you are making that you can not see.

But it's part of WHY I shoot, figuring out problems for me is a main part of the attraction of clay shooting. I have only been clay shooting for two years now, I have never had a lesson but prefer to self teach for now. My view is learn all you can about shooting, (educate yourself on all aspects) my new gun has just been perfectly fitted to me. So I absolutely agree with one of the post saying Gunfit is key, as I can now see my shooting going up another level.

So I think it is what works best for the individual, my way is to shoot competitions lots and lots of them. And I learn from each and every one of them.

I had never picked up a shotgun and struggled at first big time which was a key part of the attraction. After 12 months of shooting I was shooting well and was picked up by a trade sponsor. After 24 months of shooting I have continued to improve and was approached by yet another sponsor a traditional English Shotgun manufacturer.

I have never had a lesson, I have had many many problems which I figured out myself. My focus is always on "Why I missed" not "Where I missed" looking for the fundamental reason and cause for the miss. Always trying to fix the cause not the symptom. The miss is the symptom, but something earlier on caused the miss, so for me figuring out the cause, is part of the fun and attraction of clay shooting.

Only now do I feel knowledgeable enough to be able to select a coach. So a key part of it for me is understanding the original posters proposed participation level. Is he shooting for Fun and learn, to Compete, to Win or to Dominate. In my view the proposed participation level has a big impact on how you approach any sport.

I have held British tittles in combat sports in the past, so I always set out in shooting to participate to Win. As such after 2 years I am now a sponsored shooter, I set out with a plan, and I am just working that plan. But I work hard at my sports .. I do physical training, I do mental training, I do form training, I do visualisation training, I do rehearsal training, I do relaxation training... all so that I can shoot better.

So as I say i think that it all depends on your proposed participation level. If it's just for fun then that's great... but if you intend to try and dominate then that's a different deal and your probably have to be a full time shooter...

So self teaching so far has worked for me, in a very short period of time I have managed to attract sponsorship which has helped big time with the costs of shooting, which in turn enables me to improve as I can shoot more.

I will seek formal coaching in the future on problem targets and to see other strategies and points of view etc..

I know many top shots who have never had a lesson, I also know other shooters who spend small fortunes on guns and lessons.

Is either approach right or wrong?

So my view is do what works for you and just crack on and most of all have fun and enjoy yourself.

The idea that it is as simple as telling someone to stop doing something is nice but in reality not much help. You need to highlight the underlying cause of the problem and address it- unless you know what you are looking for you will just dig a bigger hole that takes longer to climb out of. Get help.

Also correct me if I'm wrong Hard focus but haven't you had lessons with Ben and possibly Matt H? Perhaps I'm miss remembering things...