Stopping the gun

I tend to agree with this sentiment with the caveat of "only if you know were the fault is" which the OP does in which case all a coach will do is say "your stopping the gun" his or her "fix" to this will be "don't stop the gun" then give you an invoice for £100.

If you have a problem and you don't know why your missing you need one of two things.

1 - a coach

2 - an old bloke in the corner of club house sipping tea huddled around the log burner. He cant hit a barn door anymore BUT he has vast amounts of experience and only too willing to mentor a new shooter and all for a cup of Yorkshires finest a burnt sausage on a bun and a thank you.

Do you shoot the same club as me? lol

Sounds so familiar!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was doing this at first as I use to do this as I came from playing airsoft also kept trying to look down the gun like I would with an M4 with scope attached but practice definitely helps and mates who can give you a nudge if they see you going back to your old ways lol. I went on Saturday and done 70 bird and manged to get 43. One stand I hit 10 my first ever so was happy with that lol

I think the 'stopping the gun' problem is related to lack of gun speed. Try to start shooting gun down, mount ONLY when you are really to shoot, and mount on/behind the bird, pick a line a pull thru *in a line* to where you shoot. Don't wait 3 seconds, don't lead, don't do nothing like that, just pull away and shoot when it's 'right'.

The reason 'pull away' work is that when pushing the guna way, you add a bit of momentum to a large piece of metal, and it actually becomes more /stable/ as it swings. Once you pushed it on the right line, you are more or less a passenger, just think about 'tossing' your pelets along the way when you feel it's right.

As far as coaches/lessons go, there's no magic It's magic for beginners, but once you reach a certain level, you need to have enough introspection to know when you shoot it wrong. You can't be nannied aroudn by a coach, you NEED to learn to know what bits of the shot you did wrong. Now, having a coach to push you along and keep you on the straight and narrow is nice, but very often 'your' shooting will differ from the coach as well (and a good coach will realize that!)