Worth asking for permission?

HDSharks

Is there any chance of actually finding your own permission these days in central Scotland? I only ask as I've been turned away from anywhere I've asked on the basis that they have an agreement with guides in the area. One of the places was overrun with pigeons, but still wasn't interested. Looking into it, between all the guides there seem to have thousands and thousands of acres hogged to themselves. Is there anywhere left? Will some people let you on regardless, on the basis that the guides can't cover all of the land they 'have', or are they all exclusive agreements?

Feeling frustrated, and have actually booked a guide day out of desperation, so probably part of my own problem!

Oh and just to say, this isn't me looking for someone to take pitty and take me out - I'm just looking for a success story in the area to give me the drive to keep knocking!

Edited by HDSharks

I am glad we don't suffer the same problem as the top two posts , as far as I am aware , there isn't large areas of land that are let to pigeon guides around the farms and estates that I have got access to , maybe some of the boys who shoot around our county know different but I have never heard motty and muncher , who are two of the counties top pigeon shooters ever said they have pigeon guides taken over any land they shoot on .

Good Luck to the above posts in finding land to shoot over , by the sound of it , that is easier said than done .

I am lucky enough to be friends with a guide and get plenty of shooting in return for helping hide building and digger work among ponds.

I know he has an awful lot of land tied up in the area we live and farmers don't let others on it.

But there are still some pockets of land I have gained permission who don't want guides on their land.

Never give up. Keep chapping doors, something will come up!

its very difficult to find shooting in scotland........how about meeting with a "factor" and offering your services free of charge one day a month as a labourer with the gillie or keeper in exchange for a bit of vermin control............

the scots love a deal and it could lead to a lot of other "in's"

Not in your area but from my experience it is easier once you have a permission to then seek permission from neighbouring farmers using the first one as a reference. To get your first permission you need to get to know the local farmers or gamekeepers. Start drinking in a local village pub and/or start beating on a local shoot. Many beaters can get permission for pigeon shooting on small shoots. The more you offer with regards help with vermin control for farmers or general help with the keeper the more you should be offered in return.

How are these guides getting sole access to pigeon shooting? Are they paying for it?

Difficult to find shooting in Oxfordshire to, soon as you mention shooting its, got a shooter thanks, even tho he doesn't shoot and pigeons in thousands eating his rape. Strange

Yes, I've come across a farmer shooting rockets over a rape field that is being decimated. I offer my services and he says he has a shooter, he just called him 30 minutes ago and he will be shooting them tomorrow.

The next day I pass the field 3 times, no one shooting, the last time the farmer is shooting rockets again. I pull up, he jumps in his truck and races off before I could open the door.

Why do they lie?? I sometimes feel it it a case of "it's my land, why should anyone else have any benefit from it??"

Eat away pigeons!!!

Good luck to you pal I feel your pain because it's the same where I live it seems like there's 50 shooters for every field round here and only a few folks with hundreds and hundreds of acres to themselves.

Twice a year or so I travel by Cross Country train to visit family in Bristol. I spend quite a lot of time looking out the carriage window looking for pigeon and pigeon shooters. In ten or so trips I have yet to see any set ups of flappers or magnets within visual range of the line. Dont see a lot of pigeon either come to that.

Blackpowder

Yes, I've come across a farmer shooting rockets over a rape field that is being decimated. I offer my services and he says he has a shooter, he just called him 30 minutes ago and he will be shooting them tomorrow.

The next day I pass the field 3 times, no one shooting, the last time the farmer is shooting rockets again. I pull up, he jumps in his truck and races off before I could open the door.

Why do they lie?? I sometimes feel it it a case of "it's my land, why should anyone else have any benefit from it??"

Eat away pigeons!!!

Sounds like a similar place/farmer to the one I'm on about

at one time i could walk from newcastle to edinburgh on land i had number one go alone to the owner tell him about yourself what you offer do not look in farm buildings to see spanners farm bikes get out your motor dont talk through the window tell him u have seen pigeons ask if its his field my saying is i see you have pigeons on such and such a field is it alright to go and have a shot for a couple of hours if you get on report back your bag and offer some dead birds ask if its alright to return and get his contack details go alone a few times till you get the ly of the land now listern very carefully if he is a tennet he is allowed 1 gun only and a assistant and must be in writing 1 gun only not 2 mates shooting if private he can put 20 on if keeper on let him know try to keep same vehile if change let him know always ring and ask if ok do not tell wot u want to do so its george here theres some on your rape is it ok to go for a shot not repeat not its tommy i am going ask rather than tell and report back gotta go c u later george

moved up too north Essex 4 years ago, loads of open fields so thought it would be a doddle to get some pigeon shooting in now I have retired. inquired at all the farms in a 5 mile radius and at most of them I was told that old jack in the village calls in once in a while, or there's an old boy in the village that does a bit now and again, found out where old Jack lives and posted a note through his door giving details etc, still waiting so I guess the answer must be .... you Jack I'm all right.

Again I'm not in Scotland, but the way I got my first one here in Essex, was by being as professional and presentable as possible; I had copies of my shotgun certificate and insurance to give to the land owner to keep and check if they wanted to, and I had cards made giving all my details (phone, email etc) then literally walked up to farmers doors and apologized for the cold call interruption (polite as possible), but did they have any pest control shooting available please, even as a one off day (it can often lead to more) I explained that I was brought up in the country and adhere to the country code of no littering, pick up and take all empty cartridge cases home, do not damage hedgerows etc and also if they or any neighbors are sensitive to the noise, then I have a moderated hushpower.20 gauge that is not audible above 100 meters or so. I did have some refusals, but these were due to other shooters getting in before me. Once I had a couple of certs under my belt, mentioning these other farms certainly added weight and validity to my requests. Keep at it and stick to the politeness thing once you have a shoot; always give them a call to say you are going out on their land and a nice bottle of wine and thank you card at Christmas goes a long way to keep them on side. I even cooked some game pies and took to one of my guys and now I get invited in every time for coffee and biscuits and can barely get out to shoot for all the chatter.