Poorly Dog

andypaint

Just wanted to write it on here as it's too upsetting to talk in person, just wondering if anyone else had any advice or idea of life expectancy.

My terrier who is nearly 11, has had a very slight heart murmur all her life (grade 1) in the last few months it now progressed to a grade 4. She's had x rays which shows the heart has enlarged, so she's now on heart medication. Just found out today that only 30% of her kidneys are functioning due to poor blood supply from the inefficient heart.

Gutted is an understatement. I prefer the dog to the wife! Has anyone else had any similar experience. Just hope she keeps going as long as she can.

all us dog owners go thro this regular.......and is very painful.................we/i can give no advice whatsoever...'cept

look after the dog.....make sure it is content and comfortable.........you and only you will see when the dog starts to fail...and then do the right thing when that happens...dont let the animal suffer.....make the desision to let it go....

one point ..it is better to do it a little early than a little late...............if you do it too late you will not forgive yourself...

This poem helped me when I had to take my 17 year old Jack Russell for her last ride:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Very, very sad. I hope that there are still some days when the dog can feel the sunshine and see the blue sky left. "I prefer the dog to the wife!" I think that will bring a smile to many a blokes face but it shows the bond. Between a man and his dog. Brothers in arms.

Thanks chaps. She seems so normal to look at, apparently the heart medication perks them up, but the thought that she won't be here next year is heart breaking, she's the most loyal and kind dog I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'm not ashamed to say I've been balling my eyes out most of this evening.

From about the age of 4 every time I took my last terrier for his jabs the vet would say "he's got a heart murmur", he eventually died of a stroke at the age of 16 so where there's life there's hope. One thing I did for the old lad is bury him in his favourite wood on the farm, 7 years since and I still have a chat with him when I'm in there...

Thanks chaps. She seems so normal to look at, apparently the heart medication perks them up, but the thought that she won't be here next year is heart breaking, she's the most loyal and kind dog I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'm not ashamed to say I've been balling my eyes out most of this evening.

Rightly so, why should you be ashamed! Its your best mate..

My wonderful Jack Russell 'Cas' was into her 17th year when I had to take her on her last journey. It was one of the hardest things I had to do, but I knew in my heart that it was 'her time'.

I read a caption on Facebook that said 'In my hour of darkness, I reached out for a hand, and found a paw'. That certainly was the case when I lost my 14 year old son.

• 2 weeks later...

My old dogs liver totally gave in, it happened so quickly, one day he started not eating his food, then the small amounts he ate he was sick afterwards. I took him to the vets, they run tests and found that his liver was hardly working, it had finally reached the point, over many months, where there wasn't enough of it functioning and it started to show.

The dog was still mental, diving around, wagging his tail, licking you to death, he'd lost a bit of weight but not too much. While in the vets he'd had fluids and it had perked him right up, we took him home for the family to see him and say goodbye. When we went down with him it was even more heart breaking as he was acting absolutely fine. It has hard to believe that we'd decided to put this dog that had perked right up to sleep, but the evidence was there, x-rays and bloods etc.

He'd never had chocolate before, but always tried to steal some from us whenever we had some, so, whilst on the way to the vets we stopped at the shop and bought a bar of dairy milk. We said our goodbyes, all of us in tears and we fed him the dairy milk whilst the vets was administering the drugs, the joy in his face was amazing. He went out with a smile on his face, scoffing a bar of dairy milk :lol:

Could we have had longer with him, yes, we 100% could have, the vet gave us a few options but we knew the right thing to do was put the poor guy to sleep. After it was done it sounds silly but the relief I felt knowing my buddy wasn't suffering anymore was a good feeling. I felt he went out at a good time before he was too ill to do anything.

It's one of the hardest decisions you will have to make in your life but we owe it to them to make the right call at the right time.