Wilksy, where were you when I needed you?

JDog

For today's outing I asked a number of people if they would like to accompany me. All refused. The general consensus being that I am too dull a companion and that no one ever shoots anything when they are out with me. Fair enough. Wilksy had the least plausible excuse in that he was forced to go and watch Hull City v Swansea City. Unbelievable.

So I was on my own which was a pity as two fields needed to be covered. Now that I have learnt how to light a rope banger I placed one in one field and set up in the other. I was in place by 9:25 and had three birds in the bag by 9:30. There was a line to my field which was supplemented by pigeons from the other field when the banger went off. The shooting was good until 11:15 when it went quiet and I stuck it out until 11:35 when a group of pigeons not intent on decoying swept over the hide and I brought down a very satisfactory double. A great way to end the day.

The rape is growing now but with Jasper's aid I picked all 41 pigeons I had shot.

DSC07572_zpsanxgb0uo.jpg

DSC07574_zps0ozaxpog.jpg

DSC07575_zps7xw02hmc.jpg

Edited by JDog

You did well this time of year to shoot 41 in two hours, thanks for the write-up and pictures, as you said the rape is shooting up now with the warmer weather and a bit of fertiliser.

Was it intentional that your birds on the magnet are at that angle? only ask as I do the same with my birds on the magnet, I also put the magnet at an angle as this gives the birds some lift and drop as they turn.

Edited by old'un

Haha! Just returned from watching the tigers maul the swans via McDonalds! Luckily they won

2-1 knowing I had past up another generous invite! Glad you got some shooting JDog, there was talk of me being a jona anyway so rope bangers might have been a safer bet! That' said all work and family duties fullfilled I am available as a human bird scarer now!

Can't think of a better way to spend a couple of hours, if you were still 'down south' I'd have loved to accompany you!

Had a Pinewood magnet for years, love mine....have you got the newer screw in type ground spike?

Watch this space as we are hoping to move back 'down south' sometime in the near future. You may get to come out with me yet.

As for the Pinewood magnet I have had it getting on for twenty years. It has a screw in thread which I force into the ground with the aid of the screw driver through a hole in the stem. The collar and three legs are essential for more stability.

Watch this space as we are hoping to move back 'down south' sometime in the near future. You may get to come out with me yet.

As for the Pinewood magnet I have had it getting on for twenty years. It has a screw in thread which I force into the ground with the aid of the screw driver through a hole in the stem. The collar and three legs are essential for more stability.

Oh really, there is hope yet then!! Bit lean down here at the moment numbers wise.

I bought one of the early ones without the screw in spike which served us well for years but finally had to order a new pole altogether as the thread stripped that held the motor on....screw in spike is definitely better and makes it more sturdy and less prone to going over in soft/hard ground. I agree 100% on the need for the tripod, the chap at Pinewood argued with Dad that most people didn't use it and it wasn't really necessary. We know different!