Crufts

shaun4860

Just watched it, complete farce! The only dog for me that looked like it could and possibly has done a days work was the GWP. The rest were appalling examples of breeds being ruined by breeders for show purposes. I am a spaniel man, and can't imagine any of the spaniels coping with a day in the field. Ears morphed into something along the lines of a basset hound, thick fluffy coats that would never dry out......and entropion rife throughout so many breeds. What a sad day for working dogs!

JDogs "Jasper" would have wiped the eye of the spaniel section, if the Judge had the slightest idea of what she was there to judge. ( hope re posting your pic is ok with you Jdog?)

DSC07571_zpspvqywkiy.jpg

Edited by turbo33

The keeper that ripped me off has been a judge at crufts in the past, during the conversations i had with him about his shoot, he let slip words that would confirm your suspicious.

ie. You let mine win a few smaller shows and when I'm in the ring at crufts, your on.

Haven't seen if he is there this year, apparently he was offered to be there as a judge, but that ment neither he or his wife could enter their own dogs.

Either way it is all a fix in the sense that it is not the best dog that wins. Look at the German Shepherd that won who could hardly walk.

But is that really so dissimilar to Field Trialling?

More often than not more about who breed the dog or who's running it than which is actually the best on the day.

I know i've had pops on here before about the look of modern Field Trial dogs but nowadays most of them wouldn't pass the breed standard either and in some cases wouldn't be able to do a days work either (esp FT labs with poor coats and skinny tails on a foreshore, would be shiveriung in minutes)

To me both showing and FT'ing are not doing the breeds any favours at the moment and too much money involved in stud fees/breeding to change things

Was at crufts yesterday, and the labs were shocking short muzzle to heavy set think they would need oxygen after a brisk walk.

Regards field trials so much insider work is there, I used to breed from my bitches years ago and just out of the blue a shooting friend had his dogs eyes checked and failed, I looked at a copy of the pedigree and compared to some i had at home and after some homework called a person who was impartial and run it past him. The reply was " well all i'm going to say is you have done your homework" the dog in it's time will appear in 80% of working dogs pedigrees, but carried a rouge gene, all top people knew.

Was at crufts yesterday, and the labs were shocking short muzzle to heavy set think they would need oxygen after a brisk walk.

Regards field trials so much insider work is there, I used to breed from my bitches years ago and just out of the blue a shooting friend had his dogs eyes checked and failed, I looked at a copy of the pedigree and compared to some i had at home and after some homework called a person who was impartial and run it past him. The reply was " well all i'm going to say is you have done your homework" the dog in it's time will appear in 80% of working dogs pedigrees, but carried a rouge gene, all top people knew.

I was there yesterday as well, I had to walk away from the hideous labs and all the "golden" retrievers which would have been camouflage against my cream walls!

I spent a while watching the chessie, some very nice looking dogs there.

The keeper that ripped me off has been a judge at crufts in the past, during the conversations i had with him about his shoot, he let slip words that would confirm your suspicious.

ie. You let mine win a few smaller shows and when I'm in the ring at crufts, your on.

Haven't seen if he is there this year, apparently he was offered to be there as a judge, but that ment neither he or his wife could enter their own dogs.

Either way it is all a fix in the sense that it is not the best dog that wins. Look at the German Shepherd that won who could hardly walk.

He decided to to enter his dogs by the look of the results. He had a first and third in the "Gundog Retire Gamekeep - Mixed" Class. There were only 6 dogs entered into that class :rolleyes: but a rosette is a rosette after all.

He decided to to enter his dogs by the look of the results. He had a first and third in the "Gundog Retire Gamekeep - Mixed" Class. There were only 6 dogs entered into that class :rolleyes: but a rosette is a rosette after all.

Are his dogs tail docked he was showing?

The docking/showing law is going to drive any element of genuine working hpr's and spaniels out of crufts

seen a couple of minuates of the 'pastorial' dogs and most looke dlike they'd struggle to run round a field, a couple looked really quite fat.

To be fair to the judge how do u judge so many different breeds with completely different looks, wouldn't fancy trying to do it

The judges are all breeders and 9/10 will pick whatever they breed and usually something that has an association to their own bloodline, my mum used to breed and show shelties years back and got into crufts quite a few times,the entire dog show world is based 100% on who you know, she could predict with an amazing degree of accuracy which dog a specific judge would pick as winner in what class at what show

Edited by Twistedsanity

• 2 weeks later...

I've got no time for crufts, dog health should always come first followed by breeding for a dogs intended purpose. Along with anything else humans have a hand in, crufts is corrupt and self centred beyond belief, money comes first, the dogs are little more than possessions to the people who show them.

But is that really so dissimilar to Field Trialling?

More often than not more about who breed the dog or who's running it than which is actually the best on the day.

Nonsense. Normally you're on the money scotslad but this statement, at least as far as springers are concerned from my personal experience, is miles wide of the mark.

• 5 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen I was also at crufts my 2 chessies were entered I had success with both of them which I took tongue in cheek and the younger one as not yet gone on the marsh but they both come from working stock as with the other chessies there they were true workers fit for purpose.

The dog that took best of breed 3 years running is a Wildfowling dog.

Ladies and Gentlemen I was also at crufts my 2 chessies were entered I had success with both of them which I took tongue in cheek and the younger one as not yet gone on the marsh but they both come from working stock as with the other chessies there they were true workers fit for purpose.

YOGI

my friend has one of his pups

I watched alot of the chessie classes, some very nice dog in there!