help with medication for arthritis

popa bear

I have a big two year old ESS dog last week while out with the wife he turned suddenly and twisted his front right leg.On taking him to the vets we find he has arthritis in both front shoulders and has a fracture to the top of his leg bone where it joins the shoulder.He is being operated on monday to have it pinned.My question to the collective is for the recommendations for good calcium tablets and joint supplement medication (long term) thanks in advance

Don't want to be the 1st to say it but if a working dog probably never work again and going to be a long time paying for medicine for it.

My mate has used yumove on his lab used to be stiff doing 1 days shooting put it on that and doing back to back days now with no ill effects, thinking of puting my old lab on them for next season (or cod liver oil) 12 now and still working well, been meaning to retire him for last 2 seasons but never seems to bother him yet

Don't want to be the 1st to say it but if a working dog probably never work again and going to be a long time paying for medicine for it.

My mate has used yumove on his lab used to be stiff doing 1 days shooting put it on that and doing back to back days now with no ill effects, thinking of puting my old lab on them for next season (or cod liver oil) 12 now and still working well, been meaning to retire him for last 2 seasons but never seems to bother him yet

Sorry you have me confused firstly you say he may never work again and be costing me with him being on long time medication (does this mean you think i should consider putting him down,or rehome him neither of which is something that i would consider because he will be with me till he comes to the end of his time) and then you say you have a mate that has a dog with stiff joints and with medication it works back to back days sorry but i'm confused.com Sitsinhedges i'm not sure what type of arthritis it is i think it begins with a C will get my daughter to find out tomorrow when he goes up for his op

Edited by popa bear

I was actually meaning both, it all depends on u personally and wot ur opinions are and wot the prognosis for the dog is and wot sort of lifestyle/pain he'll have after the op.

Plenty of working farm/gundogs will have been PTS for less, and most lifestock would also be the same.

The yumove does seem to work althou thats more just for stiffness/old age than actually arthritis.

In such a young dog its not good and it may suffer a lot throu the rest of its life

I was actually meaning both, it all depends on u personally and wot ur opinions are and wot the prognosis for the dog is and wot sort of lifestyle/pain he'll have after the op.

Plenty of working farm/gundogs will have been PTS for less, and most lifestock would also be the same.

The yumove does seem to work althou thats more just for stiffness/old age than actually arthritis.

In such a young dog its not good and it may suffer a lot throu the rest of its life

I accept your opinion but i have quite a good knowledge of arthritis both osteo and rheumatoid i suffer with osteo and my 26 year old daughter has rheumatoid since birth.We both live full good quality lives on medication.I don't see any reason for putting any animal to sleep if i can offer them a good quality of life and if you could have seen my springer this afternoon trying to chase down birds over the field on three legs if i had let him i hope you would think the same.He just lives for it and up to the point of the fracture you would have said there was nothing wrong with him.I don't work him hard i only shoot with him once every three weeks during the game season.If i can't beat with him he will make a cracking good dog for picking up if he wants to i will leave it up to him anyway thank you for your input and fingers crossed

I accept your opinion but i have quite a good knowledge of arthritis both osteo and rheumatoid i suffer with osteo and my 26 year old daughter has rheumatoid since birth.We both live full good quality lives on medication.I don't see any reason for putting any animal to sleep if i can offer them a good quality of life and if you could have seen my springer this afternoon trying to chase down birds over the field on three legs if i had let him i hope you would think the same.He just lives for it and up to the point of the fracture you would have said there was nothing wrong with him.I don't work him hard i only shoot with him once every three weeks during the game season.If i can't beat with him he will make a cracking good dog for picking up if he wants to i will leave it up to him anyway thank you for your input and fingers crossed

Fingers crossed for you absolutely, I agree with scotslad's sentiment - it does sound like you have a dog with premature arthritis and for a spaniel in particular, doing what he does best at 100% (nobody's told him he should take it easy) will leave you having to figure out at what point in time he is more often in pain than enjoying himself. Had a pet lab with the same fracture as your dog only she did it as a pup, she had very little prey drive and pottered around until 8 or 9 when the pain relief medication got the better of her stomach. Best of luck.

popa bear...reassuring to hear that you will do your very best for your Dog no matter what, with so much cruelty and neglect these days you deserve respect for your attitude and endeavours. Top Man.

Thank you for your reply and kind words bruno just come back from the vets tonight the dog had already removed one bandage off his toes and removed the one off the wound 7 times (little sod) vet said he is making great progress and the arthritis in his other shoulder is a lot milder than we thought it might be Result. :good: .He is already trying to walk on it which the vet said was fine.He has just been sat watching the pigeons out the back field itching to get after them.Hopefully he is well on the road to recovery and getting back to his old self and he and i are looking forward to as much quality time together as we will have :good:

Edited by popa bear