I think I have a really duff die set for my .17 hornet? OR am I doing

Scratch that new dies giving exactly the same length again follwing instructions exactly so im getting a refund and am going to try a set of Hornaday dies instead.

What about getting Fruitloop to turn you a new longer part of the die that pushes the bullet? As fister said he had similar problems with hornady dies.

Edited by reggiegun

• 1 month later...

Hi did this all work out in the end?

I too had an early set of Redding 17 Hornet dies that had a problem seating stem that would not allow bullets to be seated deep enough. Redding sent a replacement that would.

I'm only down the road near Daventry if you want to see or try my reloading set up. I have both Redding and Hornady 17 dies sets that you could try.

Hi did this all work out in the end?

I too had an early set of Redding 17 Hornet dies that had a problem seating stem that would not allow bullets to be seated deep enough. Redding sent a replacement that would.

I'm only down the road near Daventry if you want to see or try my reloading set up. I have both Redding and Hornady 17 dies sets that you could try.

Hi Guesty

In the end I got a refund off Kranks and got a set of Hornady competition dies off Spud no issues with those at all so far bullets seated to recommended length without an issue and loads of room for extra adjustment as I found out on a test case because it was able to push a bullet completely into an empty resized case. I now have a set of test rounds to try with 0.1gn increasing powder increments so when I get 5 mins I will do some group testing

Many thanks for the offer and its nice to know someone local who has a setup if I get stick again.

Cheers Zetter

Only just seen this thread. Had the exact same promblem with my 17 Hornet pacesetters. Shell holder was wrong which Lee replaced. Bullet seating. same problem. On dismantling I realised there must have been something missing (ball bearing maybe?) I chucked a spare nut in there and have been using it since, To be honest I forgot about it until I saw this post. I'm guessing the scoop is the wrong size also but I'll never use it on 17 Hornet. Am new to this lark so am weighing every charge. Still can't believe how much damage a tiny tiny bullet can do with just 9gr of powder.

Cheers Toxo thats put my mind at rest it wasnt just me in the end.

Now that I've remembered I might just email Lee for the missing bit. Judging by the shape I would think it's a ball bearing.

How are you getting on with it? I haven't developed the load I want yet. Using 9gr of Lilgun at the moment behind a 20gr Vmax and Fiocchi primers but I'll be trying for a lighter load for bunnies. Don't mind if I have to get a bit closer. Just want something quiet, accurate and won't do too much damage.

These were about 150yds away with 9gr. They looked perfectly okay until I turned them over.

post-29425-0-38779400-1494086365_thumb.jpg

post-29425-0-66825900-1494086383_thumb.jpg

To be honest at the moment im all set to start load development but work has been killing me. I have a batch loaded up with H4198 powder going in 0.1gr increments from Minimum recommended up to a but below max load sitting on top of CCI450 primers just got to find time to go out and do some testing.

I gave Lilgun a miss for my first try after reading all the info on it pushing pressures high really quickly. How do you find it?

I've read a couple of times not to go near the Hogedon Lilgun max which is 10gr. Even the starting load of 9.7gr is to be wary of.

I read somewhere that the writer was happy to stop at 9.1gr which IIRC gave about 3200ish so I did 9gr and that's okay until I get out for a decent session with the chrono.

I will hope to go down however, not up. It's velocity that does the damage so I'm hoping to lower the doseage for less damage, less noise, less recoil (not that there's much of that) and longer case life whilst still retaining accuracy.

I will be loading some "proper" rounds for mr Fox of course.

The biggest problem I've found is keeping up with what cases have done what! Once fired factory, twice fired factory, once fired new hornady cases etc. I will get more organised when I start in earnest.