anyone else wear glasses and struggle with close cross overs??

Moley1508

is it just me?

im thinking of going to Specsavers and renewing my contact prescription!

I struggle to hit clays coming across me at close range, I think its partly down to me being a novice but my peripheral vision is non existent wearing glasses.

anyone else have the same issues?

is it just me?

im thinking of going to Specsavers and renewing my contact prescription!

I struggle to hit clays coming across me at close range, I think its partly down to me being a novice but my peripheral vision is non existent wearing glasses.

anyone else have the same issues?

Lack of peripheral vision when shooting can be advantageous. If you feel safe to drive while wearing glasses, then you can see to shoot. A session with a competent coach will cost less than Specsavers.

I've no idea how much of a novice you are so if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs then please forgive me but . . .

It's possible but it may just be more of a technique issue. I don't know if you pre-mount your gun or mount as you see the clay but either way you may have problems if you're not selecting a good pick up point.

Pick a point where you think you will kill the bird. Point your lead foot in that direction. Then wind your body back to a point where you can easily see the bird. When the bird comes you should be able to see it clearly, pick it up and then swing your gun through to the kill point. Your body will naturally want to go through to the kill point making the shot that much easier.

Also don't forget that at close range, even with an open choke you're going to have a pretty tight pattern and therefore have to be pretty accurate in your shot. Honestly I've seen more good shots fooled by close range birds than I have with longer range targets.

As wymberly said a good coach may be able to figure out why you're missing, or even just another decent shooter at whichever ground you shoot at.

Cheers DM

total novice btw

what you say makes sense

I can hit most longer range shots and do pre mount

more practice needed. but without a gun currently im limited to bi weekly short sessions due to funds

thanks for taking the time to reply

You're welcome :)

Ask around on the forum, you may well find someone who lives in your area who is willing to accompany you and loan you a gun. They may also be able to provide you with a few tips to improve your shooting.

Just in case anything I said was unclear here's a nice little video by a coach who probably explains a little better what I was trying to say.