22LR VARIATION REFUSED

weejohn

just had the dumfries and galloway firearms officers in checking over my variation to add a .243 for vermin and deer (refused for vermin) a .17hmr for vermin (not allowed to shoot fox with it as its not a big enough bullet) ;);) i was refused another .22lr on the grounds that i already have 1.How many bullets are you guys allowed to buy on your licences as they would only let me buy 60 for .22-250, 60 for .243 and i think it was 250 of the .17hmr on the ground that it would be too expensive to buy any more of each at 1 time. A friend of mine was also refused a variation for a 5 shot semi auto remington as he wasnt a full time pest controller through lothian and borders police force, and i thought shooting pigeons and bolting rabbits would of been more than enough reason. Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated.

thanks weejohn

Hello im in Tayside district & there a pain but i have a FAC auto shot gun no prob's & my FAC is in for ammo up as i wish to buy 200 25cal & store 300 & my 22.250 buy 100 store 160 & .22lr buy 500 store 650.Cant belive they wont let you use 243 for vermin i can use my 25/06 for this.

I have just asked for a variation (ESSEX) to have another .22lr, I have a 10/22 and want to put a bolt .22rifle on as well. I explained that I will be putting a night sight on the Ruger and need the bolt for some very quiet work, they had no objections to it, I am allowed 750 .22 and 250 .17

Good Luck mate

Hello im in Tayside district & there a pain but i have a FAC auto shot gun no prob's & my FAC is in for ammo up as i wish to buy 200 25cal & store 300 & my 22.250 buy 100 store 160 & .22lr buy 500 store 650.Cant belive they wont let you use 243 for vermin i can use my 25/06 for this.

Try Lancs then, Hornet's about the best you will get from Hutton for Vermin ;)

The amount of ammo they are letting you have is a joke!! i have a 308 which i use for vermin and i can buy 500 rounds and store 600. you need to tell them that in qty's of 500 they are cheaper and if you buy a big batch at a time you do not require re-zeroing quite so often.

Ps, as for the cost i use Prvi 150gm softnose and 500 cost me £180.00. you could'nt even reload at that price.

I also have a 17hmr and i can buy 600 and store 650. not that i do because i cannot afford to buy 600 at a time.

if you are a BASC member give them a ring, they should be able to help.

.22rf to buy 1000 to store 1200

.22 250 to buy 500 to store 600

.243 to buy 200 to store 300

Durham Constabulary :good:

Got two .22rf,s...just tell them ones to put a nightsight on, to save time swapping and re-zeroing.Also you need more ammo as it,s time wasting running back and forth to RFD all the time.

Would not leave it at that fella

GH

Once again different forces and different rules, why we can't have them all singing from the same Hymn sheet is v v frustrating to say the least.

Thought BASC would take this one up but maybe it keeps their subscriptions up with people needing help due to things such as this debacle?

Once again different forces and different rules, why we can't have them all singing from the same Hymn sheet is v v frustrating to say the least.

Thought BASC would take this one up but maybe it keeps their subscriptions up with people needing help due to things such as this debacle?

I have used BASC in the past on various legal matters and they have been bloody good.

I know on various items they have tried to get some uniformity but the various police departments are a law unto themselves.

All I can say that if we did not have BASC then we would be even deeper in the brown stuff.

Don

ISTR that cost of ammo is not to be considered when applying for amount to be bought or held - yet they seem to have cited this as a reason to withhold a "brick" volume which is usually 500.

If you have to travel a long way to get the ammo your rifle prefers it is more environmentally favourable to buy a decent amount at one time - and fewer times that you are travelling with substantial ammounts of it on board.

is the 22lr a semi auto or a bolt action the one you allready have if so ask for the different one and suggest the difference that one might be used lamping and the other for vermin and targets.

hi bobby, i do think the other rifle is a semi auto as it is an anshutz, i was honest with the officer and i said that one of my friends was giving up shooting and wanted to give me the gun so i was going to use it at my fish farm for knocking over crows, and other small vermin so i didnt need to worry about damaging it.

I did have buy only 100 store 120 of the 22-250 and the same for the .243 and they actually laughed when they read it.I actually felt guilty when they both left. I really cant believe the amount of ammo you guys are allowed to buy , if i had put some of they amounts down i think they both would of had kittens. I am a member of BASC and so is my mate who had his 5 shot refused and he is thinking about appealing. He said i should but i dont want to rock the boat incase they get it in for me, all the responses are great guys. Do you think i could change the reason for getting the .22 to use it at night for fast bunny popping or would i need to say it has a night sight on it?

I have used BASC in the past on various legal matters and they have been bloody good.

I know on various items they have tried to get some uniformity but the various police departments are a law unto themselves.

All I can say that if we did not have BASC then we would be even deeper in the brown stuff.

Don

The point I am making is shouldn't BASC be lobbying for consistency between different forces so people don't end up needing them to sort things in the first place. I have never seen anything or heard anything to suggest they are fighting for commonality between forces.

You need to write to them and ask for them to put in writing to you why you cannot have another .22lr.

At the same time, you need to have a good reason to get one (your mate giving you a gun isn't a good reason unfortunately), I would maybe suggest it would be used for lamping with a lower mag scope, or to use with a night vision scope, for work at a different range to your current one using a different type of scope.

With regard to the ammo, I would suggest to them that you would like to purchase more so that you can buy more at one time to get it all from the same batch to maintain accuracy to save wasting time re-zeroing your gun every time you buy a box of ammo. Realistically though if you don't live miles from a gun shop and are not shooting more than 60 foxes a month is the ammo a problem? The FLO cannot use cost as a reason for granting or denying ammo capacity, this is mentioned in their handbook!

Whatever you decide to say to them do everything in writing, I have made the mistake before of having a phone conversation with them and then you have no comeback. I would not be suprised if when you put this request in writing to them they grant it.

Myself I have 3 .22lr's all for target use, if I wanted to I could probably get another one maybe two out of them for vermin use during the day and at night. But the .22lr scares me with regards to ricochets and at the moment I seem to use the shotgun or air rifle for rabbits.

With regards to ammo I have buy 1000 keep 1200 in .22lr & .308 and then 500/600 in .223. I find this is adequate, although at the moment I have 400 empty .223 cases, cleaned, sized and waiting for me to load them, that should top me back up!

>The point I am making is shouldn't BASC be lobbying for consistency between different forces

That would work if the Police had 'rules' to follow, they don't they have guidelines, and each Chief Constable can impose any reasonable restriction he deems appropriate in the grant of an FAC.

You need to write to them and ask for them to put in writing to you why you cannot have another .22lr.

At the same time, you need to have a good reason to get one (your mate giving you a gun isn't a good reason unfortunately), I would maybe suggest it would be used for lamping with a lower mag scope, or to use with a night vision scope, for work at a different range to your current one using a different type of scope.

With regard to the ammo, I would suggest to them that you would like to purchase more so that you can buy more at one time to get it all from the same batch to maintain accuracy to save wasting time re-zeroing your gun every time you buy a box of ammo. Realistically though if you don't live miles from a gun shop and are not shooting more than 60 foxes a month is the ammo a problem? The FLO cannot use cost as a reason for granting or denying ammo capacity, this is mentioned in their handbook!

Whatever you decide to say to them do everything in writing, I have made the mistake before of having a phone conversation with them and then you have no comeback. I would not be suprised if when you put this request in writing to them they grant it.

Myself I have 3 .22lr's all for target use, if I wanted to I could probably get another one maybe two out of them for vermin use during the day and at night. But the .22lr scares me with regards to ricochets and at the moment I seem to use the shotgun or air rifle for rabbits.

With regards to ammo I have buy 1000 keep 1200 in .22lr & .308 and then 500/600 in .223. I find this is adequate, although at the moment I have 400 empty .223 cases, cleaned, sized and waiting for me to load them, that should top me back up!

>The point I am making is shouldn't BASC be lobbying for consistency between different forces

That would work if the Police had 'rules' to follow, they don't they have guidelines, and each Chief Constable can impose any reasonable restriction he deems appropriate in the grant of an FAC.

Hi rams, i suppose the ammo for the .243 isnt a big fuss but the ammo for the .22-250 is i think as if i go out for foxs iand dont see any i am quite happy to fire 10 or 20 shots in one outing after rabbits, if i reloaded would i still need to stick to the 60 rounds? The thing that does bug me about buying small amount of ammo is ther re zeroing of the rifle afterwards which i think is a total waste of money. I think the night vision sounds the best idea for the .22 so i will need to get written permission from a land owner first.

Which part of tayside are you,some feo's are better than others.The one who dealt with me in Dundee was ok,but some of the guys i know elsewhere near Dundee their feo can be a compleat pain.

Which part of tayside are you,some feo's are better than others.The one who dealt with me in Dundee was ok,but some of the guys i know elsewhere near Dundee their feo can be a compleat pain.

I found that when i was with lothian and borders they were great, when i had asked about get given another .22 lr he said that all i wound need to do is send an application for a variation and he would give me it, wish i had now! The officer for L&B has now moved to renewal of the firearms and he also said that my mate shouldnt of been refused for the 5 shot, its just a new chief has taken over and seems to be akward. How do other people get on with L&B or D&G firearms officers?

is the 22lr a semi auto or a bolt action the one you allready have if so ask for the different one and suggest the difference that one might be used lamping and the other for vermin and targets.

I have semi auto .22 and wanted a CZ .22 bolt action as well, my FAO told me to put on the application that the new rifle would be specifically set up for dedicated night shooting. He would ok it.

Worth including if it will swing it.

:good: D2D

Edit... got it back approved 13th Aug.